PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried DotaMac (Porting team)

UserFirnedlyMusic
08-17-2013, 04:26 PM
I've been playing for ages with that port and it works way better than the valve one although it hasn't been updated in months and it will never be again due to the valve port on top of that it was developed not by professional developers.
Pros:
FPS is way way more steady and does not drop.
No hot corner bs, and the controls are better as cmd function acts as alt so you can actually use it in combinations.
THe sound is there even after cmd & tab so you can actually hear if the game is starting.
NO unexpected drop outs during game, very very rare (once in 300 games).

Cons:
Mouse disappears in the menu sometimes, fixable by simply going alt+tab
The client is a little more clunky as they have imported steam within the port so actually you are running a windows steam, which seems a little pointless but maybe that's why it's running better.Also the minimize function isn't as good as it minimises the game on the right side of the dock next to your folders and leaves it a little program windows visible but those are only minor issues.
The big issue is you can not voice communicate with teammates as there is a problem with the windows drivers in the port.

I'm just wondering how is it possible this port to be running better than the one officially released by valve, surely they can have a look at it and at least "steal" the benefits from it. If we have the best of both worlds, I'm pretty sure it will make a solid client with only minor issues left to sort out.

SPzzz
08-20-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm just wondering how is it possible this port to be running better than the one officially released by valve, surely they can have a look at it and at least "steal" the benefits from it. If we have the best of both worlds, I'm pretty sure it will make a solid client with only minor issues left to sort out. AFAIK these kinds of ports are using Direct X (owned by Microsoft) without any permission . Valve is going to be self sufficient by using a product maintained by non profitable organization - Open GL - which is de facto a standard for all OS other than MS Windows.

UserFirnedlyMusic
08-23-2013, 12:18 PM
I understand... it's a bummer, even after the new updates, this port still runs better.