PDA

View Full Version : Some Mac feedback... Hope this helps. :)

lokilindo
08-27-2013, 11:56 PM
There are a few issues with the mac game play, the main ones that are making my gaming impossible are the following:

- No sound
There seems to be no sound at the start of every game. it doesn't matter if it is as a spectator, or as a player, or even the tutorial games. From 1 to 3 minutes at the start of every game the sound is off, and then suddenly is starts working on its own.

- Lag and Low FPS
If I play the game on my windows partition it runs smoothly, but on the mac partition it lags, and the FPS drops dramatically. To the point where serious game play is impossible. This lasts during the entire game, I have tried to lower my graphic settings but this doesn't seem to fix the problem. Some times there are short bursts of normal FPS, but they only last for 20 sec or so. Looking at a team fight or moving the camera to a less populated area of the map doesn't seem to change the overall lag.

- Key Shortcuts
This is the biggest problem in my opinion. When I play Dota on my windows partition I use the commands: Q W E R F G for my abilities, and I use the commands:
Command + Q, Command + W, Command + E, Command + A, Command + S, Command + D for my inventory. The use of the inventory is one of the most important actions in the game, and unfortunately it is impossible to use the commands "command + * " because it interferes with the iOS.

For example, if I were to access my first inventory slot through "Command + Q" my game would close because iOS sees it as the command to close the application. Instead of the application taking precedence over the command, the Operating system does.

The only way to fix this is by changing the shortcuts and I don't know if the person reading this or the developers have ever tried using the "Option+ * " (alt), or "control+ * " shortcuts, but unfortunately they are extraordinarily difficult to access during game play. Especially since personally (and like many other players) I've been using this shortcuts since the Original Dota from Warcraft. I use the "Command + * " shortcuts in League of Legends and in Heroes of Newerth and it works like it always has so I am sure the developers at Valve will be able to come up with a solution for this issue.

I really hope this will help to recognize some of the drawbacks of the Mac version of the game, and it will help in a more expedited fix, so that all the Mac users can enjoy the brilliantly wonderful game we all love. :)

sonicakoulis
08-29-2013, 09:29 AM
go to system preferences>keyboard> and check "use all F1 ,F2 etc. keys as a standard function keys and you will be okay. But if you want to for example to adjust the brightness you need to hold fn+f1 or f2.