PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Nvidia Optimus technology users

BenSkysong
12-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Note: This is not an FPS issue. My FPS remains at an all time high of 80-100.

I understand that some of us here are using laptop to play Dota 2.

To start it off, I'm using a Dell XPS 15 (L502X).
It has an integrated Intel HD Graphics and Nvidia GT 540M.
So what is Optimus Technology you ask.

In layman terms, it's a technology whereby your laptop will determine if the application you are using requires a dedicated GPU or it could be run well enough on an integrated GPU.

So I've been reading around forums and found that Optimus technology causes problem with some games and I was wondering whether is it the cause of all my Dota 2 woes.

Since the Alchemist patch, I have been having these random game freezes during mid game that requires me to restart my laptop and reconnect to the game.
Albeit the effort, it doesn't fix it. It'll just happen again at a random time later. It was like every 2-3 games and there'll be one total freeze.

So let's talk about the freeze. This freeze will come with sound stuttering and no matter how long you wait it will just hang there and your in-game status will announced you as disconnected.
Ctrl-Alt-Del works but if you try to End Process or End Process Tree, the Dota.exe process will not terminate. Same goes for the command prompt taskkill /PID function.

That's not the end of it. The freeze became even more horrendous after the Bounty Hunter patch. Every single game I tried to play WILL freeze, never I had a game that didn't freeze since the patch when I play it on my laptop.

I have to result in using my girlfriend's desktop computer to enjoy a game.
Therefore, I'm calling all laptop users with Optimus technology to share your thoughts if any of you ever encounter any kind of problem at all with your Dota 2.

My thanks extends for those of you who spent your time reading this.

ZShock
12-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Not an Nvidia user, and probably useless comment: I guess you have already tried lowering the settings?

BenSkysong
12-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Yea, tried lowering settings, changing window type to borderless, windowed, changing aspect ratio, but all to no avail.

CvP
12-28-2011, 09:07 AM
As a temporary workaround, you can try disabling IGP from BOIS.

noobfc
12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
you can force your nvidia control panel to run dota 2 with the nvidia GPU

running dota 2 with gt555m, only have minor stuttering issues (got it in tf2 as well)

Oghma
04-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Im having laptop with nvidia optimus technology (hd 3000 + gt540m). Im not having freezing issues but im really wondering if this game can run faster on my gt540m. When i run it on hd 3000 it has like 30-40 fps. When i run it on nvidia it has 40-50. Both times CPU temperature is arround 70 C which is a bit high. I really want to hear some thoughts from developers if this game is/will be fully optimized for using optimus technology and if this is max i can get from my laptop. I have i3 2350 2.3 GHZ 6GB DD3 and GT540m and frame rate is 40-50. BTW im playing on medium details with AA turned off.

Mr.dastan
04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
you can force your nvidia control panel to run dota 2 with the nvidia GPU

running dota 2 with gt555m, only have minor stuttering issues (got it in tf2 as well)

How did you do that sorry i just switched over from ATI to Nvidia so at a complete loss right now with my GT 555m

crimson589
04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Have you tried updating your Nvidia card?

Intel HD Graphics Family + GT 520M here no problems.

Solace
04-30-2012, 08:30 PM
As a temporary workaround, you can try disabling IGP from BOIS.

problem is unless your using a hacked bios most of the firmwares are assy for laptops and actually dont have the options to disable the igp. best thing u can do is force a porfile for dota2 and hope it gets solved.

Oghma
05-01-2012, 01:59 PM
As far as i know optimus technology is made like that that integrated graphic needs to be turned on all the time, so u wont be able to find option in BIOS to turn it off. I have Intel HD 3000 in pair with Nvidia GT540m and didnt have any problems with my nvidia GPU recognizing 3D app/game and using its GPU even for much older games. I suggest everyone using this techology to do 2 simple steps:
1. Go to NVIDIA site and download latest drivers for ur card. (Do not use their app to find them for u, cause i had problems with it, just search manualy)
2. After installing drivers open NVIDIA control panel, go to Manage 3D settings and under Global settings tab select High-performance NVIDIA procesor from the prefered graphic procesor drop down list. At the end dont forget to click apply at the bottom of the page or settings wont be saved.

For all those who are wondering where is right click context menu from wich u can select prefered graphic card while running ur application here is a solution. Open NVIDIA control panel, choose Desktop from the top menu and select Add "Run with graphics processor" to Context menu. After doing this u can right click any icon (application) on ur desktop or whereever and there will be menu to choose what GPU u want to use with that app.

Solace
05-01-2012, 04:53 PM
eh thats why i said with a hacked bios. disabling the igp would essentially disable optimus all together. not sure how that pans out since i have never tried it but i would assume it would just operate on the dedicated card.

Oghma
05-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Disabling igp in a hacked BIOS at least on my laptop (acer aspire 5750g) would result black screen. And only way to reverse that is to reset BIOS (flip CMOS battery,...) so i strongly DO NOT recommend that to anyone.

Solace
05-03-2012, 11:35 AM
well there ya have it. someone tried it out and it aint resulting well. prolly with some minor tweaking it could work. but for the average guy you might want to just complain to nvidia to get it fixed.

Oghma
05-04-2012, 11:08 AM
What im trying to point out is that IGP is directly connected with ur laptop display. If u shut it down somehow u wont have picture. Its more like hardware issue then software tweaking. Anyway showing this problem to NVIDIA could make them think about changing primary card on display output on future realeases.