PDA

View Full Version : Dota 2 doesn't work with Mobility Radeon HD 4550 Switchable Graphics

SPARTAN-501
12-31-2011, 08:30 PM
When I start up Dota 2, the screen is partially obscured by a visual artifact that's blue at the start but may become gray after clicking a few things. This makes the game completely unplayable, since it's impossible to see what's going on. The artifact is present at all resolutions but everything's fine when I switch to my Intel graphics.
For reference purposes, the only other game that has a similar problem is Dead Island. All others, including Source engine games, play fine.

willitblend
12-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Update the videocard drivers

SPARTAN-501
01-01-2012, 02:46 AM
HP hasn't provided any updates, so unless I can somehow get a hacked driver, I'm stuck. (The standard AMD/ATI driver doesn't support switchable graphics.) Why require updated drivers in the first place?

doenis
01-01-2012, 03:14 AM
http://www.omegadrivers.net/ ?

noobfc
01-01-2012, 04:12 AM
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

fill in the blanks on the right side

SPARTAN-501
01-01-2012, 06:15 AM
I guess I'll have to contact either AMD or HP if I want new drivers. OmegaDrivers doesn't have it and it's a non-standard driver so AMD doesn't have it either. HP only has an outdated version.
Seriously, why have the requirement anyways? It's not like the game REQUIRES some new technology to run--even my Intel graphics can run Dota 2 at a low resolution.

capt`ncook
01-01-2012, 06:57 AM
i have the exact same problem as you do, my card: mobility radeon hd 5650. totally pissing me off..

SPARTAN-501
01-01-2012, 07:35 AM
I just sent the dev team a message asking them to make Dota 2 compatible with my card. If you do the same, maybe they'll take it more seriously since there are now 2 cards that don't work...

capt`ncook
01-01-2012, 01:34 PM
m2 , done.

Sciaticjam
01-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Radeon HD 4550 are outdated and not updated anymore. If you want graphic cards update you need to buy a new graphic from Radeon.

Buy radion 6xxx something. 5xxx are also being left out not being updated anymore.

http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6000.aspx

ATI only updates the newest series like they always do.

ryaNk
01-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Radeon HD 4550 are outdated and not updated anymore. If you want graphic cards update you need to buy a new graphic from Radeon.

Buy radion 6xxx something. 5xxx are also being left out not being updated anymore.

http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6000.aspx

ATI only updates the newest series like they always do.

Probably not an option as most notebooks the GPU cannot be upgraded. Or expensive, hard to find and or doesn't work with other hardware.

It would be much easier and make more sense to purchase a new computer at that point

SPARTAN-501
01-02-2012, 02:35 AM
It's ridiculous to require the LATEST cards for Dota 2 when broad compatibility was one of its goals. It's meant to scale well with all setups, with the game being playable on low-end systems while looking great on high-end systems. Since it works with my crappy Intel graphics, I see no reason why it should skip anything in between.

I can play Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, Batman: Arkham City, etc. without any problems, all of which are much more demanding than Dota 2 on the lowest settings. I'm not complaining about not reaching the minimum requirements here, I'm complaining about the fact that my card is being SKIPPED.

TheUser
01-03-2012, 04:49 PM
I am having what appears to be artifact similar to (if not the same) as SPARTAN-501 is describing while using a Radeon HD 6870M graphics card. Is this happening with all AMD based mobile graphics cards? I hope not, because I generally use AMD graphics and I would like to help in the beta process. At least for now I can tell the developers that my card is not currently working. I think the developers have the specs on this machine as it is the one I originally filled out the survey with, but I can give more information if needed. Let me know if I can help push this forward. An Image of my experience is below (A picture is worth a thousand words). 2406

ALPHATT
01-03-2012, 04:53 PM
AMD provides drivers for normal cards all the way back to HD2000 series, I think. This guys problem is that he can't use the standard driver that works with most mobility and all onboard/PCI x16 cards.

SPARTAN-501
01-03-2012, 11:53 PM
I am having what appears to be artifact similar to (if not the same) as SPARTAN-501 is describing while using a Radeon HD 6870M graphics card. Is this happening with all AMD based mobile graphics cards? I hope not, because I generally use AMD graphics and I would like to help in the beta process. At least for now I can tell the developers that my card is not currently working. I think the developers have the specs on this machine as it is the one I originally filled out the survey with, but I can give more information if needed. Let me know if I can help push this forward. An Image of my experience is below (A picture is worth a thousand words). 2406
This is almost exactly the same as what I'm getting, the difference being that the menu buttons are visible on my screen. Update your graphics card if you can, and if you still get the artifact, this may be a much bigger issue than we originally thought. Think about it: a large portion of the community probably uses a Mobility Radeon card, and if a large portion of Mobility Radeon cards can't run Dota 2, we've got a serious problem.

capt`ncook
01-04-2012, 05:26 AM
true. i hope the guys of dota 2 are working on it..alrdy sent them a pm.

Dommm
01-04-2012, 07:17 AM
i have the exact same problem as you do, my card: mobility radeon hd 5650. totally pissing me off..

I have a HD5650 mobilty and DotA2 runs without a hitch, no artifices or anything

You really don't need a top of the line rig to run dota2 at all.

I have a 4gb ram, 1.6ghz dualcore Toshiba laptop fit with a HD5650 mobility card and I can run Dota2 perfectly with things like shadows and anti aliasing off...drops to around 23-25FPS in huge fights but that is more than playable

vertigodragon
01-04-2012, 08:37 AM
If you can set your laptop to use discrete graphic only, then you should be able to use standard drivers but at the cost of losing the ability to switch modes

SPARTAN-501
01-04-2012, 09:40 AM
If you can set your laptop to use discrete graphic only, then you should be able to use standard drivers but at the cost of losing the ability to switch modes
This isn't an option for everyone, unfortunately. Besides, having to change settings in the BIOS every day just to play Dota 2 is a bit of a hassle, don't you think?

TheUser
01-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Well the problem has been resolved for me as I have updated through the Alienware. Trying to update the driver through AMD did not work at all. Could have been an easier process through Dell, but I found the right one after some digging. They had updated this driver in August so maybe that had the fix. All the same, I have not had this issue on any other games to include Portal (which I believe is from the same engine). Something to keep in mind Valve if you want to keep as many customers happy as possible. For those looking using my card (Radeon HD 6870M), the driver from Dell is called R308386.exe. Also this is an M17XR3 laptop in case that matters. I hope this gets fixed for the others.

SPARTAN-501
01-05-2012, 05:22 AM
I've found a workaround. Getting it to work isn't as straightforward as I hoped (Mobility Radeon 4550 with switchable graphics is extremely uncommon), but yeah. Should come in handy for everyone with AMD/ATI switchable graphics.
Get it at http://leshcat.blogspot.com/
Seriously though, Valve shouldn't alienate n00bs... it's bad enough that Dota has a steep learning curve, should people have to suffer outside the game as well?

Hellcat
01-05-2012, 07:27 AM
You're wrong!

AMD, and also Nvidia, always releases drivers for a lot of their GPU's. I currently have a Radeon HD 3850 and it's working like a charm (everything at high; 1080 resolution), and I have the latest drivers too.

Anyway, I suppose you have a laptop? Go to AMD webpage, select "Notebook Graphics" and then select your card and your OS.

Edit: oops, I didn't read the other 2 pages... I hope you fixed it.

SPARTAN-501
01-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Installing the workaround causes new problems for me--graphics cannot be switched anymore. Once again, Valve (and HP) is responsible for this.
Apparently it works for most people though. There's nothing more I can do, short of reinstalling Windows completely.