PDA

View Full Version : Considering a top Macbook - how does Dota run?

shockeroo
01-27-2015, 06:22 PM
I'm considering purchasing the highest spec Macbook Pro MGXC2LL/A (http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MGXC2LL-15-4-Inch-Display/dp/B00G2MB7KW/) - can anyone let me know how well I can expect Dota 2 to run on it?

Vuccappella
02-07-2015, 06:47 PM
It's playable. There are bugs and the game crashes in-game every other game so you have to re-connect to your game after it crashes, think of it as if you are playing on an internet connection which sometimes goes down for 20 seconds, enough to disconnect you so you have to re-connect. This is the most annoying issue by far and it depends how you treat it ,for some they can't play with it, for me I manage. Performance is good otherwise and I get to play on 120fps without a problem @ medium settings. There is no custom game support for mac at the moment and usually new additions to the dota2 client such as custom maps come late for mac. Also, everytime there is an update there is a chance for a game breaking bug (like on windows) but the problem is valve takes longer to fix it. Support is limited I must say for the mac version of the game.

However, if you really want to play dota flawlessly your best bet is to run Bootcamp (if this is your first mac and you don't know what that is, it's basically running windows on your mac, you have to restart your computer everytime you want to play dota and instead of choosing the mac operating system you will choose the windows operating system and your computer will start in windows mode instead, basically your laptop would be able to run both windows and mac os) When you do that, you just install dota2 on your windows operating system and it runs just as normal as on a windows computer. However you do have to restart your computer every time you want to go to windows or swap operating systems so it's annoying.

chr1s1k
02-21-2015, 03:46 AM
It's playable. There are bugs and the game crashes in-game every other game so you have to re-connect to your game after it crashes, think of it as if you are playing on an internet connection which sometimes goes down for 20 seconds, enough to disconnect you so you have to re-connect. This is the most annoying issue by far and it depends how you treat it ,for some they can't play with it, for me I manage. Performance is good otherwise and I get to play on 120fps without a problem @ medium settings. There is no custom game support for mac at the moment and usually new additions to the dota2 client such as custom maps come late for mac. Also, everytime there is an update there is a chance for a game breaking bug (like on windows) but the problem is valve takes longer to fix it. Support is limited I must say for the mac version of the game.

However, if you really want to play dota flawlessly your best bet is to run Bootcamp (if this is your first mac and you don't know what that is, it's basically running windows on your mac, you have to restart your computer everytime you want to play dota and instead of choosing the mac operating system you will choose the windows operating system and your computer will start in windows mode instead, basically your laptop would be able to run both windows and mac os) When you do that, you just install dota2 on your windows operating system and it runs just as normal as on a windows computer. However you do have to restart your computer every time you want to go to windows or swap operating systems so it's annoying.

Can you please specify HW configuration of your Macbook and version of Mac OS you are running on it?