PDA

View Full Version : Language? English!

meruna
10-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Hello,

the German translation of Dota2 is horrible.
Can you please add an option to switch it back to English? We all played Dota1 in English and German just sounds soooo stupid.

Thank you.

DarkSuo
10-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Change Steam language to English and you should be set. I've already suggested a In-Game option to it.

PandaSucks
10-14-2011, 04:39 AM
Other games have this option if you go to properties, and then under the language tab. I think they will add that for dota2 too. No need for an ingame option.

ggPeti
10-14-2011, 04:50 AM
Can you please elaborate on what you found stupid in German DotA? Because I'm a translator myself (not German, I'm asking only out of curiosity), and I'd like to take this chance to understand emotions towards localization better. What was it that disturbed you? Bad quality? New terms for things you always used in English? Anything else? What would you suggest to make translations better?

eNTe_eXe
10-14-2011, 05:01 AM
I am not even gonna look at the German version. Would make me cry.

neXXus
10-14-2011, 05:03 AM
I think the translation itself is ok, it just always feels a bit weird when you're used to the English terms and status lines. I think I will also switch to English, but not because the translation is bad.

PandaSucks
10-14-2011, 05:04 AM
Can you please elaborate on what you found stupid in German DotA? Because I'm a translator myself (not German, I'm asking only out of curiosity), and I'd like to take this chance to understand emotions towards localization better. What was it that disturbed you? Bad quality? New terms for things you always used in English? Anything else? What would you suggest to make translations better?

As others already said, I don't think the quality of the translation is the problem, but the translation itself. Many players (I guess nearly all of them) got used to the terms and names they all know. And switching that now is just... strange.

ggPeti
10-14-2011, 05:19 AM
To OP: I just realized you said "we all played dota1 in english". Didn't you notice that DotA is available in various languages since 2007? And the German version came along in 2009. Many players have downloaded the game in different flavors.

@others: I see your points, and I think nothing can be done about that. That's why the game language is a free choice for everyone. If you get used to a term, it must feel strange to change it to something else, even if it's in your mother tongue. But think about newcomers, bad English speakers, and those who don't find it difficult to change - the localization definitely has a use and a target audience.

Lynx6
10-14-2011, 07:27 AM
+1 In my case, the new patch has changed some text to spanish. For now, I prefer the english version.

ggPeti
10-14-2011, 10:01 AM
We're at the absolute beginning of translation as of now, so it might not be comfortable to use the barely translated version. You can however decide to use it, and give feedback on it, as it greatly eases the translators's work in hunting typos or strings that are too long to fit their spaces.

Null-
10-14-2011, 10:04 AM
I have russian translate, need add Language options in game.

ultio
10-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Hey,

I am one of the moderators who look over the German localization of Dota 2. We are actually trying to make the translation as good as possible, without translating too much. For instance, we have kept popular terms like "deny", "lane", etc. in English so that core gamers will be happy with our choice of words. If you have any specific translation feedback, feel free to let me know. "The translation sucks" is empty feedback and we won't be able to change anything. As ggPeti has pointed out, the translation process has just started recently and we have not even had a chance to test it for ourselves so far. Please give us some time and more importantly: Feedback.

TheShredderDude
10-14-2011, 01:47 PM
yeah. we need a language option, on the spanish talking community, we do some spanglish, for example, we say gank, instead of "emboscada".

Swordz
10-14-2011, 03:09 PM
yeah. we need a language option, on the spanish talking community, we do some spanglish, for example, we say gank, instead of "emboscada".

every language does this. The thing is that if we keep 90% of the game in english because it's used terms, it won't be a translation.

LuckY.One
10-14-2011, 03:22 PM
it just feels weird after playing english dota for years. i rly welcome it tho since it will be easier for newcomers and ppl who are bad at english.
i actually had to laugh real hard when i saw something like "LuckY.One ist im Blutrausch" out of nowhere.

meruna
10-16-2011, 04:20 AM
The idea of the thread was to suggest an option to change the language, not to discuss about the German translation. I pm'd with one of the translators and explained him what I didn't like about the translation.

I know I can change the language in Steam, but it's pretty annoying to switch it back after a game every time...