PDA

View Full Version : Pressing Alt + Another Key, Causes A Map Ping When Clicking

dephmoose
09-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Summary:
When you hold down any combination of keys along with the ALT key. Clicking the mouse on the main screen causes the map to ping and "alert" team mates. This is especially annoying when ALT + Another KEY is assigned to item skills, etc. Players will always intend to ping the map when they press the ALT key alone. The game as it stands right now is unable to tell the difference.

Repro Steps:
1. Assign an item skill to ALT + Another key (for this example I will use W for the Quelling Blade, this step is optional as the unintended map ping will result even if the keys are not assigned)
2. Press ALT + W + Mouse1 to target a nearby tree.

Result:
Doing the above steps will cause the mini map to ping to team mates. The above event can be triggered when holding down ALT and a multiple number of Other Keys. For example pressing ALT + W + G + T + Mouse1 Click on the main play area will cause the same map ping.

Expected Result:
In the scenario regarding the Quelling Blade, the expected result was for just a tree to be cut down. Players intending to ping the mini map will ONLY hold down ALT + Mouse1 Click. Players do not intend to ping the map when (for example) they hold down ALT + R + Mouse1 Click. Fixing this will correct an issue that players using ALT key binds have been dealing with for months now. While at the same time it has no negative effect on players not using ALT key binds.

blash365
09-18-2012, 05:30 AM
why dont you just release the alt key?

ThoAppelsin
09-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Not sure if this shall be considered as a Gameplay Bug, or if it's even a bug, but I confirm this.

msquabbles
09-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Even if he could release the alt key I think it still is a rather unnecessary nuisance. Some people just have to hold it, I've done this in other games than dota out of instinct and pure personal preference.

Still, holding alt while targeting a spell causing a ping to come up is a bit inconvenient.

blash365
09-18-2012, 07:25 AM
so when i am holding a targeting spell and want to ping, i am not able to do that anymore because you are too lazy to lift your finger from the alt key?

dephmoose
09-19-2012, 12:55 PM
so when i am holding a targeting spell and want to ping, i am not able to do that anymore because you are too lazy to lift your finger from the alt key?

Thank you for the feedback but this is a common response by people that do not use alt key binds. Doing quick actions like queuing sk epi with blink dagger in the midst of a battle will usually result in the map being pinged. It is not a case of being lazy as you suggest. Keys being pressed in quick succession causing a map ping is not being lazy. I can say with confidence that number of people using alt key binds that want to ping the map will holding a targeted spell is close to zero.

If this is not a bug/glitch then it is an over sight. Holding Alt while clicking the mini map or the main screen pings the map, which makes sense. Currently I can hold down Alt and a limitless number of other keys, ie, 9 + T + 3 + H and click the the main screen and cause the map to ping, what purpose does that serve?

*I just have to add with your example. changing map ping to occur only when Alt is held down would still let you ping the map while holding a targeted spell..

Zath
09-19-2012, 12:58 PM
I don't see any reason to accommodate your specific bindings over the default...

dephmoose
09-19-2012, 11:07 PM
I don't see any reason to accommodate your specific bindings over the default...

This doesn't really make sense. It's not my key bindings, many players use alt key binds. You make it seem like this some radical change to key binds. It simply isn't. In regards to item abilities many players use different keys, watch any dota2 stream and you'll be hard pressed to see 2 players using the same keys. It is meant to be customized based on a players preferences. Dota2 already allows for ALT key binds, in it's current state it is glitched where the binds also cause the map to ping. It seems apparent you did not read through the post clearly before replying.

posnisir
09-20-2012, 01:51 PM
I use the alt+qwerdf for items, and yes, this is very annoying. I kinda got used to it after some time so I don't ping that much anymore when using items, but in some situations where I have to react pretty fast, it does happen.

lorin
09-20-2012, 04:41 PM
+1 I sometimes get players killed due to accidental ping

GermanViet
09-20-2012, 04:54 PM
you queue with ALT? I do it with Shift.. Just like in DotA 1.. :D

ALT was also in DotA 1 for pinging :)

Haunt09
09-21-2012, 01:57 AM
They need to fix this, or at least add a ping customization. alt+other keys makes items so much easier, but the pings are causing trouble.

posnisir
09-21-2012, 06:25 AM
you queue with ALT? I do it with Shift.. Just like in DotA 1.. :D

ALT was also in DotA 1 for pinging :)
He doesn't queue with ALT. He never said that, nor did he say ALT shouldn't be for pinging. The problem is with using ALT as an item hotkey modifier and still pinging when using the item.

dephmoose
09-27-2012, 01:28 PM
He doesn't queue with ALT. He never said that, nor did he say ALT shouldn't be for pinging. The problem is with using ALT as an item hotkey modifier and still pinging when using the item.

Thanks for helping to clarify, I just don't understand why this fix gets so much hate. It doesn't negatively effect people who don't use alt key binds, only helps those that do..

Sandos
09-28-2012, 12:27 PM
+1 i get this allllll the time never happened to me in dota 1

dephmoose
10-18-2012, 03:57 AM
I dont use alt for hot key, I use ctrl key.

Then you don't really understand the issue. It's not about "just use another key." It's the fact that the suggestion decreases usable options for hot-keys instead of expanding them. It is not a difficult fix at all, it doesn't negatively effect current non alt bind users hot-keys in any way, yet it still hasn't been implemented. Very frustrating.

FifthO
12-08-2012, 03:20 PM
If possible:

Please make map ping able to be binded to a different key! I'd like to bind it directly to my mouse's middle button!

Thanks!