PDA

View Full Version : Shortcut and .exe launching don't work

RaGodOfSocks
11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
I tried making a shortcut to Dota 2 in steam (via right click in library) and I got a shortcut to "steam://rungameid/570" which is defined as an internet shortcut by my computer. It shows my printer settings when I try to doubleclick it so that's no good.

When I tried making a shortcut to the game itself (in steamapps/common/dota2 or whatever) it opened fine but then once I got to the main screen (today screen) the slabs never "opened" and I couldn't do or really see anything.

I'm on a 64bit windows 7 machine with an nVidia graphics card and intel processor. Launching through steam is working correctly.

Robzor
11-17-2011, 05:54 AM
Moved to Performance & Technical Support.

PandaSucks
11-17-2011, 05:58 AM
I tried making a shortcut to Dota 2 in steam (via right click in library) and I got a shortcut to "steam://rungameid/570" which is defined as an internet shortcut by my computer. It shows my printer settings when I try to doubleclick it so that's no good.

When I tried making a shortcut to the game itself (in steamapps/common/dota2 or whatever) it opened fine but then once I got to the main screen (today screen) the slabs never "opened" and I couldn't do or really see anything.

I'm on a 64bit windows 7 machine with an nVidia graphics card and intel processor. Launching through steam is working correctly.
That's.. weird. Basicly your PC thinks steam:// is your printer? O.o

If you try to create a shortcut for a different steamgame it is completly the same, right?

RaGodOfSocks
11-17-2011, 11:58 AM
That's.. weird. Basicly your PC thinks steam:// is your printer? O.o

If you try to create a shortcut for a different steamgame it is completly the same, right?
Any shortcut created through steam seems to open the printer. I'll post this to the steam bugs page as well.

PandaSucks
11-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Any shortcut created through steam seems to open the printer. I'll post this to the steam bugs page as well.

That basicly means, that for whatever reasons, your PC handles steam:// as your printer. This should be a client sided problem. Something weird in your settings or something. Sorry that I can't provide you with a fix. ;o