PDA

View Full Version : Issues on Macbook pro Retina Display

veewake
07-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Hello,

I have recently downloaded and installed Dota 2 on my Mac book pro retina display and even after reducing all the settings [render etc] to the lowest possible value I still get only a frame rate of 10fps. This makes the game extremely unplayable,besides that I also had some interesting visual bugs.

My config -
Mac OS X version 10.8
Intel Core i& 2.3ghz
8 gb 1600mhz ddr 3 ram
NVIDIA ge force GT 650 1024mb

cheetos82
07-24-2013, 11:49 PM
I've logged most of my DOTA2 on my PC but recently I've tried the MAC client on my 2012 15" MacBook w/Retina. I suffer from the same problem as everybody else here with the low frame-rate even on the lowest of settings; however, I've noticed that if after you select your hero, quit the game, the restart/reconnect to the game, the performance greatly improves. I was getting about 10-12 FPS even on the lowest settings and if I use that "quit-reconnect" method, I get about 80 FPS with everything ON or HIGH, except V-sync and AA, which I will test the next time I play the game.

Good luck to those of you suffering from this issue and hope this helps some of you out!

Oh sorry forgot to mention I'm running at 1440x900.

I just tested it with v-sync and AA both on. Got steady 60 FPS after the "quit-reconnect" method. So it's all maxed out except resolution at 1440x900.

veewake
07-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the reply but restarting my machine and reconnecting to dota 2 makes no difference for me.

Also I must mention that my pc has bootcamp with windows 7 being the secondary operating system

cheetos82
07-25-2013, 12:18 AM
I have bootcamp with win8. that shouldn't matter. Sorry I don't mean to Restart your machine.

I meant:

#1 - Choose your Hero.
#2 - During the timer countdown for hero selection, to use the 3-finger swipe up to get back to desktop
#3 - Secondary Click on the red DOTA logo one (not the openGL one) "Quit" DOTA2 from the Dock
#4 - boot up DOTA2 again from Steam.
#5 - Reconnect to your game.

Hope it helps.

veewake
07-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions cheetos... I tried that while playing a game with bots [well technically I did not reconnect to the same game I started a new one] but it will did not work.
Also whenever I am in a game the sound also does not seem to work.
I hope you valve folks will take a look into this and release an update soon :)
Please let us know what we can do to help

cheetos82
07-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Well good luck.... for me, that only works if you "reconnect". It won't work on a new game, or after your restart you machine, etc. Plus you have to do it for every new game you start, even if you didn't quit DOTA between games.