Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where did Shadow Fiend originate from?

Basic Member

Where did Shadow Fiend originate from?

Who created him? Any ideas?

Um, this is kind of the point of Shadow Fiend. We only know that he lives and has lived in the Abysm and serves somebody. No hints at to whom. If this ever will be explained, which I doubt, we'd find out; as of now, I also doubt this needed a separate topic.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

If I'm not mistaken, he has either served Doom in the past, or Doom simply considers himself to be Shadow Fiend's master.

Banned
    Doesn't Doom consider himself to be the master of all demons? He is the devil after all..

Basic Member
    I think Nevermore is mass of corrupted souls. Enslaved and abused by Shadow Demon and Doom until Shadow Fiend got enough power to break free from their control. This explains why Nevermore's voice has multiple tones(because it is bunch of souls fused together), why Nevermore is so into collecting souls, and why Nevermore says 'I am more powerful than the master!' when he kills Shadow Demon. Still, I do not think it was Shadow Demon who created Nevermore, because according to its lore, Shadow Demon is more interested in eroding and consuming identity of other being, rather than fusing souls together. I think some weird magic collected and fused souls, thus making what would be Nevermore.
    Last edited by flyingcobra; 07-30-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Basic Member
    I don't know about his in-game lore but I do have an idea of his actual origination. If you've ever read any of Edgar Allan Poe's literature, then you should be familiar with his gothic work "The Raven". There are many references in that about the raven which seem to coincide with that of Shadow Fiend. The raven speaks the word "Nevermore" and his description used of it consists of words such as fiend and shadows. Coincidence? I think not! My guess is that shadow fiend was inspired from Edgar's The Raven.

Basic Member
    I think Nevermore is mass of corrupted souls. Enslaved and abused by Shadow Demon and Doom until Shadow Fiend got enough power to break free from their control. This explains why Nevermore's voice has multiple tones(because it is bunch of souls fused together), why Nevermore is so into collecting souls, and why Nevermore says 'I am more powerful than the master!' when he kills Shadow Demon. Still, I do not think it was Shadow Demon who created Nevermore, because according to its lore, Shadow Demon is more interested in eroding and consuming identity of other being, rather than fusing souls together. I think some weird magic collected and fused souls, thus making what would be Nevermore.
    You realise Shadow Demon is a lesser demon, right? He was simply cunning enough to manipulate humans and feeding on them until he became powerful enough to rival the others on the material plane. If he was one of the higher-ranking demons to begin with, he wouldn't have escaped Doom's notice for so long.

Basic Member
    I think Shadow Fiend is second generation demon. He doesnt born as a Demon. He was a poet before then some mystical powers took him and transform him into a demon

His father is Darth Vader

Quote Originally Posted by flyingcobra View Post
    That sounds good, but I think the individual souls have been abused by demons or Doom himself. Then that *something* happened and the fused souls defined Nevermore.