Page 18645 of 18645 FirstFirst ... 17645 18145 18545 18595 18635 18643 18644 18645
Results 186,441 to 186,444 of 186444

Thread: Patch Anticipation Station

Basic Member
    https://josephg.com/blog/electron-is...r-the-desktop/

A good read for developers and users (Web & Desktop).

I am a desktop dev.

Therefore in old fashion about this article: TL;DR
    Quote Originally Posted by katsaroulhs View Post
    Also, I am laughing so hard because you people actually expected smth better from Valve. Some of you have been here for years. Some of us have been here from the beta, watching this mess of a game getting developed. And you STILL are surprised when you are fed shit. [...]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crowblade View Post
    I am a desktop dev.

Therefore in old fashion about this article: TL;DR
    Electron is the worst garbage framework ever invented! I've created an empty project (display "Hello World") and the application eats up to 180 MB of RAM just for existing!! Which is crucial for business applications running on a terminalserver or low budget notebooks.

Every application developed with this horse shit framework ships an own copy of chromium with it. it eats up several hundreds of megabytes on your HDD for nothing.

Combine this with retarded JavaScript, which is just broken. https://medium.com/javascript-non-gr...t-58f440d6b3d8

Sry, but I am just really frustrated about a project we had to take over from some noob website developers...

Fucking web-noob script kiddies!

Quote Originally Posted by wolf633 View Post
    Electron is the worst garbage framework ever invented! I've created an empty project (display "Hello World") and the application eats up to 180 MB of RAM just for existing!! Which is crucial for business applications running on a terminalserver or low budget notebooks.

Every application developed with this horse shit framework ships an own copy of chromium with it. it eats up several hundreds of megabytes on your HDD for nothing.

Combine this with retarded JavaScript, which is just broken. https://medium.com/javascript-non-gr...t-58f440d6b3d8

Sry, but I am just really frustrated about a project we had to take over from some noob website developers...

Fucking web-noob script kiddies!
    I agree Electron is an abomination but Javascript per se is awesome. When it's used responsibly.
    Node and it's hundreds of framework extensions (Total.js, Express etc.) can do some amazing stuff.
    You can literally get away with just 10MB for the whole web server + frameworks + web application! And it's guaranteed to not be a resource hog either!

And Javascript can be integrated into so much more than web app's... just look at Panorama used by DOTA.
    You can't deny that it works, it looks good, it's dynamic, it's easy to maintain, unlike pre-compiled stuff.
    If only Valve devs were not also lazy monkeys that took the worst possible incarnation of it (google v8 outdated shit) with little to none efforts towards improving it.
    And Panorama js it's not even the weakest link atm - that would be the piece of shit vscript that absolutely makes lua a memory leaking, trashing resources joke instead of a high performance scripting that it should be.

But back to the article - it's simply a jQuery butthurt dev rant because he's now made obsolete. Node.js and it's easy to maintain frameworks have taken over the www. It makes stuff uncomplicated, not the other way around. Learning curves? Are you fucking kidding me? How hard is to learn a 10 page guide to get started with Express. Or React, or whatever. Sure, Total.js might be harder but they are working hard on documentation, and examples are plenty. But nothing can match what it does and how fast it does and it's just a <1MB framework. Heck, it's even freaking useful as a general os shell tool (offline).