Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Chat goes ValveIRC

Basic Member

Lightbulb Suggestion: Chat goes ValveIRC

Problem: Spammers are spamming, haters are hating.
    Why it should be fixed: It's making chat lame.

My suggestion is to follow the Valve tradition of leveraging the community to make things awesome, let the community fix the chat and give them IRC-like features to do it. This could fully replace or be an addition to the current chat system in Dota.

Originally I was thinking go full IRC but maybe IRC is a little too open, so how about a subset of IRC features: ValveIRC

Features wanted (these are my original thoughts, I'll revise this post according to feedback):
    1. Channel registration/ownership and some of the abilities that come with it (kicking, giving op, muting, what else?)
    2. Custom script support (or limited script support? I'm not sure if full scripting is a good idea. Needs further discussion)

Limitations wanted:
    1. Don't let people abuse channels/users via scripting.

Problems:
    1. What about regional channels? Answer: Valve owns them, maybe Valve feels like writing an anti-spam bot to handle those channels.

I think there's enough interest in the community to write some great chat scripts, and the benefits could be applied beyond Dota, for example the channel system could be extended and made into a global feature for all of steam. Channels for your current game and all games. Join Dota2 chat while in Borderlands, whatever.

Seems like a big new feature (and seems like a lot of work to implement) and it also seems like a big step in the right direction, thoughts/feedback/suggestions?

I agree, really sick of all the traders spamming big channels, it makes the feature useless.

Basic Member
    I would suggest 10 ignores/reports bans a user from posting in a chat channel for a designated amount of time. Most people will be playing games most of the time, so they are unlikely to get banned. Trade bots that spam, however, will be exposed to more players as they come on and off.

This would be so awesome. I hope Valve see's this thread.

Basic Member
    3 replies, 1500 views

Basic Member
    All of these problems and features can be solved with an API to their current system. No need to replace it with IRC. May I suggest a port for bots like Hubot, written in Node.js:
    http://hubot.github.com/
    You'll need channel owners and an authentication built in, for public channels, which would require a channel type separation (probably already exists) and an ownership mechanism.

Side:
    The reason there are so few replies is the user-gating on the forums. If a vote system was built into the forums, that didn't require login, that'll help posts like these that go viral show a popular opinion.

Basic Member
    The in-game chat feature definitely needs to be improved to deal with spammers, among other things, but making any references to the completely oudated IRC protocol won't help it.
    Valve should be about progress, not going back to 1988. Using IRC for chatting is like using Internet Explorer 1 for browsing, if not worse.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    The in-game chat feature definitely needs to be improved to deal with spammers, among other things, but making any references to the completely oudated IRC protocol won't help it.
    Valve should be about progress, not going back to 1988. Using IRC for chatting is like using Internet Explorer 1 for browsing, if not worse.
    Outdated IRC protocol ? IRC is still one of the most stable systems to use to run a large scale chat. Much more reliable compared to any other chat service available to date.

I'm just tired of not using the in-game chat at all cause I know its only purpose is just for trading (most of the time)

Daily PC gaming news (RPS): http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/

I just click on their names, ignore player and move on.
    I guard the rear.

I have decided you have had enough Talos. Updates.^