Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The End Of Dota 2 ?

Basic Member

The End Of Dota 2 ?

Greetings,

This is the first time i ever wrote something on this forum, so i'll try to be as brief and clear as possible. After a few searches i didn't find any recent post regarding these issues and/or an attempt to fix them by Valve. I'm hoping that some people among the Valve team will read it.
    Any constructive comment's are welcome.
    Ps; English isnt my main language, so you'll excuse my mistakes.

I was there Valve, i was there 10 years ago when Defense of the Ancients was still a lonely custom game mode in the realm of warcraft 3 and didn't attract much of the attention it gets today.

When i started playing this, it was indeed full of glitches and bugs. It was understandable, considering the size of the team who worked on it. But still, i enjoyed it a lot, as did many of us.

Then, with time, it grew in popularity and became a genre of its own. Now, we could probably argue that MOBA is the most played genre in the world. We have Dota, HoN, LoL, Smite, etc. I tried most of them (mainly because of curiosity) and saw many improvements of various types (MM system, Ladder's and leagues, Modes, New heroes, new skills, items, publicity, etc..) Most of these games have great perks and are as inovative in their way's as Defense of the ancients was in the begining. And so, the competition for the public is now raging like never before. (After all, i guess that it indeed is, a business from which you guys try to get a living.) Statistics will tell us that the most played MOBA right now is LoL (some of us still wonder why) and that Dota is saddly second in that race (correct me if i'm wrong). Well, i think we should learn from our mistakes and try to fix them in order to grow as fast as possible. After all, wasnt Dota the original game from which all of these were inspired ?

All this to say, i'm a 26 years old philosophy student at the university of Montreal and yes, i'm still playing this game. But somehow, i feel that might change soon. After more than 3000 hours of Dota playing (combining Dota 1 and 2) i feel that i've been let down by the creator's of the game in many ways lately.

Here are a few problems i have with Dota 2 on which i would like some insight's, if possible.

1) The match making system.
    Is it me or there is something awfully wrong with the way it works ? I feel that the absence of MMS in Dota 1 was almost more balanced than the one we have right now. I know this is probably a lot of work for you guys and that my comment might seems arsh (and i'm sorry), but i still feel there is a lot of room for improvements and that it should be among your priorities. As an example. Why do you feel the need to match 1 low lvl player with 1 high lvl instead of low with low and high with high ? Is it to make newcomers experience high level play and give them a taste of what they can expect later ? Still, i dont know much about how it works, but i keep having the feeling there's a big issue here which need's a better matching system. A full review of the matchmaking system would be my first suggestion.

2) Group matchmaking.
    Is it normal that when i solo queue, i sometimes stumble on a 5 man group or, most of the time, on a 2-3 man group while my team is all solo queue ? This can't b simply badluck, right? I've seen the Lol MMS in which is basically impossible to play vs 5 persons if you arent a group of 5. Shouldnt it be like that in Dota 2 ?
    This game is all about teamplay. That being said, (in my opinion) even the worst kind of players will have a good chance of winning if they are all friends against 5 randoms. This thing called synergy which we develop by playing with the same people over and over is a huge game changer and it would be a great thing if you would consider it more when building a MMS. In brief, 5 man group should only play vs 5 man group. Is that asking too much ?

3) Language
    I guess this would be a hard one to fix. These days, i get the feeling that we are invaded by spanish speaking players (no offence meant here) and that the language specification option should have a larger influence on the selection of teamates. Like the previous points, teamplay is everything in moba's and if we cant communicate with our allies, we might as well cancel the match right now. Is there a way to improve this ?

4) The reporting system.
    Does it even work ? Do you feel that we are cleansing this community of all the bad people in it ? Cause it seem's to me that it's only a blur meant to calm down our nerves after stumbling upon ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, and that in fact, it doesnt do ♥♥♥♥. I know, i know, if it's to hard on ''bad temperament player's'' we might lose a lot of people by banning them or whatever.. But still, do we really want this kind of behavior in our community ? Less player's doesnt mean less profit. On the contrary, wouldnt be great if Dota's community would be more selective about it's member's ? Why not turn this into a priviliege ? Again, i know, it's a business.. and you guy's want money, always more money. But i feel that a strategic move on this subject may have more benefit's than what seem's to meet the eye. Let's get rid of all this scum and let them go play some other game's. (Yet, i dont know how you could filter this since every banned member could simply create another account. Ip bann maybe ?) All that to say, a good community is the key to a great multiplayer game and a great multiplayer game is the key to profit.

That's all i'm thinking of right now. Hope this message will find it's way to any good willing spirit who will see in it not a attempt to bash on the game but instead a will to improve it.

All that being said, Dota 2 is a great game and it's potential is still underestimated.
    Let's make it what it can really be. Let's remind all of them why it was a revolution in the first place.

Thanks for your time.

Ganryu.

Ps: We want techies.

Maybe it's end of Dota 2 for you. But the game isn't dying, it's not going to die anytime soon.

1. The MM system isn't that good, but it's improving. It's not that bad either.
    2. I don't have this problem since I use solo queue.
    3. Play with friends?
    4. The reporting system used to work, now it doesn't.

Basic Member
    That is what i meant..

Basic Member
    1. The MM system isn't that good, but it's improving. It's not that bad either.
    yes it is. and it seems that every update the mmr is getting worse then before...
    they are not improving , they are destroying it.

are you kidding..this whole forum is full of these problems

Drop the matchmaking issue.. there is no point in discussing about it. If you stuck with Bad team.. its random..and see it as that enemey team playing better
    this is another closed topic

Then what should i say when i got muted only ONCE for my entire 1700+ games. Been to LPQ only 4 times and its for abandoned games. I'm matched with people who can cooperate and play well 75% of the time. Getting matched with someone who feed doesn't mean he is LOW, maybe he has a bad day or something. From this i can say the matchmaking is doing it's job great FOR me. My game crashed 5 times MAX in all the hours of playing. For me the game is pretty much awesome so I must be a Valve Knight for liking their game maybe.

Flame me.

Basic Member
    you can choose 'no parties when alone' in the language section and you will never meet even 2 man stack when you are solo
    lol doesn't have that option btw, despite their short queues

i agree that their stack mm is better though, 5v5s are mostly matched vs each other and if they are matched vs some 2-3 man stacks and soloq players, soloq players have really massive mmr advantage and quite often stomp full stacks

Basic Member
    I wasnt aware of that option. Thanks a lot.

tl;dr

valve is kinda lucky most users love so much that we can have months with only hats update (it happened already)

Basic Member
    Please bring back the old pudge :"(