Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How has the report system changed people's behaviour

How has the report system changed people's behaviour

I'm pretty sure the report system has changed some player's behaviour, but I'm not so sure its the way Valve thinks, I just want to give you an example of a game I played today.

Type of game SD

Picking screen:
    I get doom, ursa and storm spirit
    I say "I'll probably doom or ursa for jungle depending on their picks, so an offlane hero might be a good pick" (they pick a lot of casters and I go doom)
    A noob that instapicked ogre magi says "This is gonna sound dumb but what is offlane?"
    I and other guy explain him "Its the not so safe lane, depending if you are dire or sentinel its up or down, the safe lane you can usually pull creep and you send the carry, so a good offlaner is a hero that can hold his ground 2v1"

He nods

Then in his lane he keeps autoattacking and wasting skills on creeps.
    Drow asks him "Please stop autoatacking"
    I start explaining him (Not insulting, as calm as when I explained him about offlane) "You are not supposed to autoattack because you want to keep creeps close to your tower where its safer, and you are not supposed to last hit either because you should be supporting drow,

And then he goes all nuts "Fuck you, Ill attack whoever I want, Muted and reported"

Now....Is this single game: a definite true of how broken and misused the system is? No! of course know. But I think most of you have seen enough of this and other similar things to realize that the system is not working as it should.

And I do know the system could be improved heaps, to actually target the real grievers.

So anyways, to clarify:
    This is not a suggestion about how to fix the report system (I have made very detailed posts about that if you wanna take a look at suggestions) because apparently valve thinks the system is awesome, and hence there's no need to even consider changing it.
    This is not to say "Meh, whatever, move on"

I would appreciate, welcome and will gladly discuss with both sides. My point being:
    I'm SURE the report system is broken.
    But I'm willing to hear opinions about people who think its not. (Saying "Forget about it and play on" is not an argument, and if it was, it would just be supporting my assumption)
    Or if you do think its broken, simply say why.
    Make a NON automated report system.
    I would rather wait 10 minutes for a balanced, fun and exciting match that will last 1+ hours. Than wait 10 seconds for a poorly balanced crapmatch that will end in 30- minutes
    Valve, How I'm I supposed to respect certain boundaries to prevent a mute if I dont know them because they are different for each and every person on each and every game I play?
    The only type of player that dislikes having his stats public are the players that suck and cheaters

It clearly changed people's behavior...for the worse:

1. Rage ping spam, which became so bad that Valve was forced to throttle pings from muted players;

2. Chat wheel spam (e.g. "Well played!" x3);

3. Revenge reporting (you threaten to report me; I'll report you right back).

The system was a complete failure. I was very annoyed when Mike Ambinder gave a talk at Steam Dev Days praising the system as being a resounding success.
    DK -> VG supporter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik-the-red View Post
    1. Rage ping spam, which became so bad that Valve was forced to throttle pings from muted players;

2. Chat wheel spam (e.g. "Well played!" x3);

3. Revenge reporting (you threaten to report me; I'll report you right back).
    I do all of the above and I don't feel bad, because Valve thanks me for improving the quality of the Dota community.

To contribute to the topic:
    I cannot fathom how people can be so dumb and think that an automated punishment system can work properly. Especially in a game that creates so much mad, a system like the current one is bound to fail. I rage report A LOT, if you are on my team and I consider you as a bad player, you will get a communication report. I don't care if you are Santa Clause who brought me presents, if you play bad, you get reported. The funny thing is that I never run out of reports since I stopped reporting for low-priority reasons and started the mute reports. It makes sense to me: I know my single report won't get them banned, so I need the wrong reports of others to make it happen. Therefore, mute is the only option, because it's actually a form of punishment. Low-priority doesn't really matter because you queue for easy bot games and push mid for 5min until you win. Repeat 5 times and go play more ranked. Who would waste their report for a slap on the wrist, when you can destroy the fun for a minimum of 24 hours? Exactly, nobody.
    Skewed system, failure game design, uncaring developers, shitty game platform. This is Valve Inc. in their prime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Karyoplasma View Post
    I do all of the above and I don't feel bad, because Valve thanks me for improving the quality of the Dota community.
    What the system really brought to the game in a nutshell. Well done Valve.

Here are my experiences:

I have major rage problems, way before starting gaming, ever since i was little. I get mad at any non important issue. I tried many ways of keeping my calm but i still crack sometimes. I mostly try to not care. Sometimes it happens i perform bad in games and when people start swearing at me i just mute them and go on but i fail to understand that when someone from my team fails badly while i am doing realy great, it's because they might be in the same situation i was a few games back. I mostly burst out when we can still win the game if we focus a little and someone does something stupid or someone keeps auto-attacking the creeps. I just start swearing and cursing YET i was never muted\reported and i'm not sure why. Sometimes i really deserve it. But i am trying real hard to keep my calm.
    A few days ago i was playing on the EU Servers and landed with 2 Russians that only spoke in RU(voice chat) for well over 25 minutes, i was trying real hard to get some farm i did not even stop to mute them. After we had a bad teamfight one of the russians said: Wow this ping is bad. And i ask: Why do you play on the European servers to witch he replied: Shut up you ignorant American.
    I just lost it, spent the rest of the match cursing and swearing at them. Yet i was still not muted. And i have friends that are way less rude than me yet they get muted sometimes. Currently 3 days without cursing and i hope i keep it up for a while.

Sorry for my english i'm to tired to spellcheck and to dumb to have abetter grammar.

It has reduced my amount of voice/text chat interaction to a minimum and I don't start with "Listen here, shithead..."

I just flame even more than before since I can't get LPQ for it now. Now I'm allowed to spam the chat wheel, which isn't even all that bad.

Banned
    LPQ & mute made me flame less, can't speak for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by KangarooCornchips View Post
    It has reduced my amount of voice/text chat interaction to a minimum and I don't start with "Listen here, shithead..."
    i dont talk or type anymore, to scared to get muted after saying hello.

Well, My personal opinion and bottomline about the system is:
    • It doesnt stops racism (Personal experience, mostly involving parties abusing people for accents and such) I get that shit every day, and since the implementation of the system it hasnt been reduced at ALL, if anything they just threaten to report me even tho they are the abusers.
    • It doesnt reduces swearing or harassing, it just changes how people do it.
    • It gives trolls a weapon to further troll and harass other people.
    • It discourages player/player criticism and hence learning, if you tell a clinkz why he shouldnt buy a shadowblade, he gets mad and reports you (Yup, that actually happened to me(I...dont remember if it was clinkz/shadowblade or magina/blinkdagger but it was something of the kind))
    Make a NON automated report system.
    I would rather wait 10 minutes for a balanced, fun and exciting match that will last 1+ hours. Than wait 10 seconds for a poorly balanced crapmatch that will end in 30- minutes
    Valve, How I'm I supposed to respect certain boundaries to prevent a mute if I dont know them because they are different for each and every person on each and every game I play?
    The only type of player that dislikes having his stats public are the players that suck and cheaters