Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hero Races

Quote Originally Posted by Hefaistus View Post
    When I read Tinker's lore, I am tempted to say the complete opposite. Tinker is not superstitious at all. Heck, I very much doubt he even believes in coincidence. He fiercely believes in rational methodologies, there is no room for superstition in there.
    I am also quite tempted to say that Alchemist is of the same race as Clockwerk, Sniper and Tinker. If you look closely at the models, you'll notice that only Sniper is the bulky one. Tinker and Clockwerk only appear bulky due to the contraptions and armor they are wearing, but they are actually quite thin as well. If anything, it's Sniper that is the odd one out, not Alchemist.

"Zeus was yanked over into this conflict". That suggests he hadn't been in the Dota 2 world before and since it seems likely that Invoker, if he were an Elf, was around before the conflict started, then that pretty much throws your theory out of the window.

If Zeus is the Greek God pulled into a different world, then my half-God theory totally collapses. I do see that it's the weakest of the theories I presented, but remember that everything in this thread is based on assumption.

I also totally get your thoughts on Tinker not being superstitious. But, I think that a race so based on curiosity and magic would have a history of superstition. Once again, I'm assuming based on what we've got.

But I will have to disagree with you on Tinker/Sniper/Clockwerk and Alchemist. Here are some pics of their models:

Clockwerk
    Tinker
    Sniper
    Alchemist

Here are the key features of Sniper/Tinker/Clockwerk:
    -Broad shoulders (The armor does widen them, but not drastically. Sniper's shoulders are actually less pronounced than Tinker's.)
    -Purple skin
    -Short, bowed legs
    -Long torso

However, Alchemist doesn't really fit this for several reasons.

To start, his proportions are very slight. He has a very thin chest, which doesn't at all fit with the three Gnomes.

Second, as this screenshot shows, Alchemist's legs are nearly twice the length of his (very short) torso.

Third, while he and Sniper share pointed ears, the ear-similarities stop there. Sniper's ears are small and lay flat against his head, while Alchemist's ears are wide and protrude from the sides.

Also, Alchemist has three fingers per hand and two toes per foot.

Quote Originally Posted by GIROG View Post
    I also totally get your thoughts on Tinker not being superstitious. But, I think that a race so based on curiosity and magic would have a history of superstition. Once again, I'm assuming based on what we've got.
    I do get that these are assumptions and theories. But that also allows for more discussion, wouldn't you say?
    Anyhow, back to the discussion at hand, Tinker's race is actually not based on magic at all. Outtakes from his lore:

Boush the Tinker's diminutive race is known for its intelligence, its cunning, and its prickly relationship with magic As a matter of pride, they survive by their wits, and use only those powers of nature that may be unlocked through rational methodologies. [...] While scorning mages for the dangers they visit upon the world, Boush and his Tinker associates [...]
    And from his voicelines:

You can keep your magic, I have laser beams!
    Anti-Mage, your efforts against magic do not go unappreciated, I assure you!
    Should have taken up science, Invoker, magic's long term prospects are dim!
    I don't think that magic is actually all that common among his race. Tinker, Clockwerk and Sniper also all don't have magical ability, although they are just three representatives of their race, so this would be, as Tinker would say it, scientifically unreliable data.

But I will have to disagree with you on Tinker/Sniper/Clockwerk and Alchemist. Here are some pics of their models:

Clockwerk
    Tinker
    Sniper
    Alchemist

Here are the key features of Sniper/Tinker/Clockwerk:
    -Broad shoulders (The armor does widen them, but not drastically. Sniper's shoulders are actually less pronounced than Tinker's.)
    -Purple skin
    -Short, bowed legs
    -Long torso
    I have brought up the modelviewer so I can check the models a bit better.
    Where Tinker's shoulders actually stop is quite hard to tell, because they are obstructed by both his normal armor and his shoulderpads, but they aren't actually that broad. But so far, your observations are quite correct.

However, Alchemist doesn't really fit this for several reasons.

To start, his proportions are very slight. He has a very thin chest, which doesn't at all fit with the three Gnomes.

Second, as this screenshot shows, Alchemist's legs are nearly twice the length of his (very short) torso.

Third, while he and Sniper share pointed ears, the ear-similarities stop there. Sniper's ears are small and lay flat against his head, while Alchemist's ears are wide and protrude from the sides.

Also, Alchemist has three fingers per hand and two toes per foot.
    I see. Might be explainable as Razzil being a dwarf even among the Gnomes, although I admit, I'm stretching it at this point. However, you do actually bring up an interesting point. Alchemist has three fingers per hand, while Clockwerk and Sniper have four per hand, but Tinker actually has five per hand.

Hands.png
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

I didn't notice the hand thing; I only looked at Tinker's. I wonder if that was a conscious choice, or if the art team just got lazy?

And those voice lines bring up a couple of things that I didn't see before. Their race doesn't just seem to dislike magic, they seem to openly oppose it. Maybe there was an event in the past that caused this hatred? I'm not sure how well Tinker's dislike of magic meshes with Sniper's CHOSEN ONE backstory.

It's stated in Clockwerk's lore that he's from the same race as Tinker and Sniper, so...maybe their race just has a lot of variety in shapes? This makes it more acceptable to think that the Alchemist is a part of their race as well.

Also, I never thought Warlock was of the same race as Axe, but after examining his face, it seems you're completely right about it GIROG. The nose and the eyes are so distinctive. The variation in skin color must be a thing for their race.

Witch Doctor, I'm sure, is of the same race as Huskar and Dazzle. They have the same kind of 'voodoo' theme. Plus, the ears and pupils. The reason for why the Doctor seems different from them is probably just a culture thing. Like the different ethnicity in the real world. Rhasta is probably a part of their race as well, even if troll is spelled as trowle for him (also, the 'voodoo' theme is kept).

EDIT: Also, looking at Bounty Hunter and Bloodseeker's legs, it seems that the two of them come from the same race?

EDIT2: And concerning the pointed ears; they may just be something that comes up the more one uses magic?
    Last edited by The_Codfish; 12-21-2011 at 09:18 PM.

And those voice lines bring up a couple of things that I didn't see before. Their race doesn't just seem to dislike magic, they seem to openly oppose it. Maybe there was an event in the past that caused this hatred? I'm not sure how well Tinker's dislike of magic meshes with Sniper's CHOSEN ONE backstory.
    I don't think it's hatred as much as it's a sense of superiority. Sniper has similar voicelines towards bow users (e.g. "What's wrong, your string break?" and "Guns are the future, my friend!").
    My personal theory is that Tinker's race is relatively young and are pretty much acting as teenagers; rebelling against the set standards of magic use among other races and instead focusing themselves on something new: Technology. This makes it quite curious, however, how they have gotten so advanced in such a short amount of time. They have lasers, rockets, firearms, even teleporters (Tinker's 'March of the Machines' appear to be teleported in from the research facility), so they appear to be highly advanced. This would suggest they are an older race, but has remained relatively isolated at first until their technology was advanced to such a point, that magic brought little value to them when they finally encountered it.

Sniper is following a prophecy, by the way, not really magic. Besides, Sniper actually uses relatively advanced technology in comparison to most heroes, so I don't think that Tinker is really going to be that picky.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

I'm thinking Sniper could be considered a 'hick' among his people.

Anyway, reading Sniper's lore, their race has been around for a long time. I think we can just settle this as being a case of nature versus nurture.

Basic Member
    Another odd-one-out is Sven. We have no idea what he looks like. He seems blue, but another glance at his model shows that he's wearing... something. All we know about his race is that he's a half-breed, and his father was some sort of Paladin. As I mentioned earlier, this makes me think he's half Human. But until we learn more, we know next to nothing about Sven's heritage.
    Yes, I think it's pretty obvious the blue thing is his armor. But the thing I want to add is this:

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2407/svenf.png

Looks alot like human skin color at the neck part

Basic Member
    Interesting!

Nice post. I have been wondering what to classify Bloodseeker as, and it seems you arent sure either ;p.

I hope they add less humans to the game, I do miss the high-existence of Orcs in the game. Maybe if I am lucky they will turn PA into an Orc
    Trot along

An Orc without honor, killing people out of the shadows? Pretty nonstandard and might be exactly VALVes style.

I'm actually hoping that Techies won't be of the same -not so cool, imo- race as Tinker and Co. I'd like them to bee weird little Goblins again, but that won't happen in a million years, I bet.