Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hero Races

Lightbulb Hero Races

I thought about posting this in the Lore and Lists thread,

We've a lot of characters in Dota 2. Over the last few days, one thing that's piqued my attention would be the different races, and how they've changed from the original Warcraft III mod. Obviously, some things stayed the same. There are still lots of Humans, and there are still lots of rather unique monsters. The monsters aren't that important, since they don't really fit into the "Humanoid race" category that I'm interested in.

For the sake of this post, I'm going to ignore Humanoid "otherlanders," such as Vengeful Spirit, Dark Seer and Doom Bringer. I'm also going to ignore severely altered Humanoids, like Lich, Lion and Lifestealer.

This exception leaves us with a list of (mostly) mortal Humanoids:
    Sven
    Kunkka
    Beastmaster
    Clockwerk
    Dragon Knight
    Omniknight
    Huskar
    Alchemist
    Anti-Mage
    Drow
    Juggernaut
    Mirana
    Riki
    Sniper
    Crystal Maiden
    Lina
    Shadow Shaman
    Tinker
    Chen
    Axe
    Bloodseeker
    Witch Doctor
    Warlock
    Dazzle
    Batrider

Let's start with Rikimaru, the little Satyr. I thought about excluding him as a monster, but a quick glance at his lore changed my mind. He was a prince. He's a member of a Humanoid race, living in the mortal world. For all intents and purposes, Satyrs can be considered a normal race.

Then, we have Alchemist--not the ogre, the little dude on top. Razzil. He was one of the easiest to classify. From his name and spells, we know that Razzil Darkbrew has stayed a Goblin.

Character lore has already done the first real grouping. Tinker, Sniper and Clockwerk are all... Something? In the original Dota, Clockwerk and Tinker were both Goblins. But judging by their appearances when compared to Alchemist, we know that they've changed. This is confirmed by pulling in Sniper, who used to be a Dwarf. But their proportions don't mesh with common depictions of Dwarves. It's a bit of a guess, but I believe they're Gnomes. The description in Ring of Regen shows that Gnomes exist in this universe, and have some sort of culture. The description in the ring suggests Gnomes are superstitious, and the backstories for Sniper and Tinker show that their race fits this profile.

A huge part of the Warcraft universe would be the Orcs. While many heroes in the original DotA map were Orcs, their numbers have been severely cut in Dota 2. Axe has obviously kept his Orcish roots, but so has Warlock. At first glance, Warlock looks like he's turned Human. But a comparison between the faces of Axe, Warlock and Chen (who also used to be an Orc) shows that Warlock's face is much closer to Axe's than it is to the now-Human Chen's. Their many similarities include their broad chins, blank eyes, high-set flat noses, and thin, wide lips. Warlock and Axe are both Orcs.

The strangest grouping would be the Trowles: Dazzle, Huskar, Rhasta, Bat Rider and Witch Doctor. We can classify them due to some similarities. They all have strange skin colors, they all have blank eyes, they all have large teeth, they all have angular faces (except for the deformed Witch Doctor), they all have small noses, they all have pointed ears, and they all have silly accents. The Forest Troll creeps share most of these similarities. They've kept many similarities with their Warcraft precursors, especially in regards to their spiritualism. Their lore suggests that there are at least two different types of Troll/Trowle. Dazzle and Huskar are Dezun trolls. Witch Doctor is probably Dezun as well, and Rhasta is a half-breed between a Hill Trowle and "Something Else." I don't really get why Rhasta's race is "Trowle" while the creeps are "Trolls," but that's that, I guess.

The easiest race to group together would be the Humans. Kunkka, Beastmaster, Pre-Transformation Dragon Knight, Omniknight, Mirana, Crystal Maiden, Lina, Windrunner and Chen are all obviously Human. The fact that many of these characters are religious makes me believe Sven may be half Human, as well.

You may have noticed that I had a few omissions from the Human list. Namely Antimage, Drow, Sven and Juggernaut. Quite frankly, I have no clue what to do with these. They appear Human, but there's just something off about them. I'll explain my reasoning.

Drow Ranger is very tricky. Her lore explains very clearly that she is NOT a Dark Elf. The Drow in the Dota universe resemble more traditional Elves in that they're ugly little fairy tricksters. Traxex is obviously not an ugly little fairy trickster. Another red flag is the fact that you never see her ears. While her ears in DotA were protruding from her hood, the tips of Drow's ears are never seen in official artwork. Even her in-game model has no ears. This wouldn't really be a problem if it weren't for the fact that we know of no Elves in the Dota universe. (That is, unless Invoker isn't changed before release.) Also, she's purple. That's just a bit odd. If she's Human, she was altered by her stay with the Drow.

My reason for omitting Antimage is simple: he's orange, and his eyes are purple. Those are not natural, unless your name is John Boehner. While he may have been altered by his tenure at the monastery, we can't really be sure Magina is Human. In order to tell whether he was born like that or not, we'll have to wait until Terrorblade is released, or until those lore guys throw some more info our way. I kind of like Magina being some other race. But that's beside the point.

Another odd-one-out is Sven. We have no idea what he looks like. He seems blue, but another glance at his model shows that he's wearing... something. All we know about his race is that he's a half-breed, and his father was some sort of Paladin. As I mentioned earlier, this makes me think he's half Human. But until we learn more, we know next to nothing about Sven's heritage.

My last omission, Juggernaut, stems from his basis as a mysterious character. He may be a Trowle, and he may be a Human. He may be something else all together. My favorite theory on Juggernaut is that he's made of wood, and that the mask is just controlling that wood. If that theory wasn't stupid, it might hold water.

~~~~
    Edits:

As Coal pointed out, Ogres are people, too.

Looks like people don't really feel that Bat Rider should be included with the Trowles. I'm just going to go ahead and decide that Trowle is how Valve is spelling Troll. Bat Rider gets grouped in with the WTFs. I do still believe Witch Doctor is a Trowle, given the mouth, nose and ears.
    ~~~~

To sum it up:

Satyrs-
    Rikimaru
    Assorted Creeps

Goblin-
    Alchemist

Ogres-
    Alchemist
    Assorted Creeps

Gnomes-
    Tinker
    Sniper
    Clockwerk

Orcs-
    Axe
    Warlock

Trolls/Trowles-
    Dazzle
    Huskar
    Witch Doctor
    Shadow Shaman
    Assorted Creeps

Humans-
    Kunkka
    Beastmaster
    Dragon Knight
    Omniknight
    Mirana
    Crystal Maiden
    Lina
    Windrunner
    Chen

Something-
    Sven
    Drow
    Juggernaut
    Antimage
    Bat Rider

Was there anything I missed? Do you disagree with anything? Would it be possible to get some clarifications?
    Last edited by GIROG; 12-19-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Basic Member
    Makes sense, good job. Never saw the trolls really as trolls though, but I guess they are just trolls

(not sure about Ors either, but hey, appearantly they are just different from the standard D&D trolls, and thats fucking good)

EDIT: You forgot about Ogres, they are imo as humanoid as Satyrs and Alchemist rides one.
    Last edited by Coal; 12-19-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Basic Member
    this is all based on conjecture?

i think batrider, rhasta and witch doctor need to be omitted from what you related them to. dota 2's lore suggests batrider has nothing to do with anything in the jungle or any forest until he's been picked up by the huge bat. lad seems pretty inappropriate to address a troll child.. also why would jungle (or forest) trolls be cutting wheat in a field? he shares no physicial similarities with any of the trolls nor does he sound like any of them. he makes no mention of the nothl realm (which the trolls seem to do)ever, suggesting he has no idea what that even is.

witch doctor also has no similarities at all and his lore suggests more of an abomination-like story behind him rather than any kind of troll heritage.

as for rhasta, yeah, there's the mention of 'hill trowle' and he was born in the bleeding hills.. why don't we assume that 'trowle' is going to be valve's way of spelling 'troll' and accept rhasta is half hill trowle? in that case, we can now seperate him from huskar and dazzle, because neither are even referred to as trowles of any kind and for all we know, in valve's dota story, they won't be classic warcraft-like trolls (or trowles besides rhasta's half heritage!) at all.

i guess the most you can really assume is that dazzle and huskar are definitely of the same race. trowles, maybe. we'll have to see what they do with 'troll warlord'.

i always felt anti-mage was black. maybe i'm wrong or my monitor has sharper colour or something but i never saw him as 'orange'. i expect terrorblade to be black, too.

as for satyrs, yeah, riki is visually depicted one. no argument there, but it isn't explicitly stated. satyr royalty sounds pretty serious.

i'm not sure how to think of sniper, tinker and clockwerk but i also feel like they are more dwarves than anything. gnomes are typically depicted as small while all 3 seem more 'stout' than anything. though if given gnomes fascination with technology (or is that just a world of warcraft thing?), i suppose it's entirely possible.

as for most of the others, valve is surely focusing on gameplay and recognizable characterization (from DotA) as much as possible while paving story on the way. things like drow being difficult to classify by race, axe and warlock being orcs (come on..) are more visual implications than anything else, which i personally believe to only be there for relation and homage rather than some kind of cryptic underlying story trivia.

i think it's entirely possible that a huge mass of lore isn't even developed yet and races may be mixed up regardless of visual. or perhaps valve is going to try to free their characterizations of race (for the most part anyway, given the implications in tinker/clockwerk/sniper lore) entirely?
    Last edited by vladhood; 12-19-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Notes:
    Batrider looks a lot more like a goblin than a troll. But then again if razzil is a goblin..

Kunkka is kinda human, he's a ghost.

I didn't really like classifying Bat Rider with the others, and I guess I'm not the only one who feels that way. I do think he's some sort of Troll, though. I moved him into the "something" category.

As for Rhasta, while he doesn't mention The Nothl Realm, he does mention shades and shadow, and his facial features are very similar to the confirmed Trolls/Trowles. And if we're going to go the way of having Trowle be the preferred spelling of Troll, it'd be kind of silly to not have him with the others. Really, the biggest similarities are their mouths, noses and ears, which is why I placed Witch Doctor in with them.

Basic Member
    I would laugh if Sven turns out to be half troll.

Banned
    so what does that make earth-shaker? a gorilla?

Basic Member
    Earth shaker is a golem.

EDIT:

Like a golem or gargoyle, Earthshaker was one with the earth but now walks freely upon it. Unlike those other entities, he created himself through an act of will, and serves no other master. In restless slumbers, encased in a deep seam of stone, he became aware of the life drifting freely above him. He grew curious. During a season of tremors, the peaks of Nishai shook themselves loose of avalanches, shifting the course of rivers and turning shallow valleys into bottomless chasms. When the land finally ceased quaking, Earthshaker stepped from the settling dust, tossing aside massive boulders as if throwing off a light blanket. He had shaped himself in the image of a mortal beast, and named himself Raigor Stonehoof. He bleeds now, and breathes, and therefore he can die. But his spirit is still that of the earth; he carries its power in the magical totem that never leaves him. And on the day he returns to dust, the earth will greet him as a prodigal son.
    I know it says hes LIKE a golem, but if you read the story you can just conclude that he actually IS a golem.

Basic Member
    you forgot a few races there.

Venge used to be "Skywrath" i supose those are simmilar to harpies as they were discribed.
    Earth Shaker is most likeley not a Golem, as Golems are raised by "magic" or whatever Human trickery. Earthshaker just became sentiant and grew a body because he felt like it. Also he is not made of Soil and Rocks, he is more the spirit of the Earth, as he cleary has blood and flesh, wich makes him pretty much the opposit of a Golem.
    Also in Slardars new lore its mentioned that he is a "Slithreen" wich may be a race.

Also to me Alchemist seems to be of the same race as Tinker and probably sniper as they share Size, facial hair and colour sheme.

one thing im interrested in is if Meepo will continue to have his Pig like look or look like the DnD Kobolds that we have seen in the Jungle (as he is no Kobold in DotA 1 lore he just uses the same model)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zordak View Post
    you forgot a few races there.

Venge used to be "Skywrath" i supose those are simmilar to harpies as they were discribed.
    Please read this:

Quote Originally Posted by GIROG View Post
    For the sake of this post, I'm going to ignore Humanoid "otherlanders," such as Vengeful Spirit, Dark Seer and Doom Bringer. I'm also going to ignore severely altered Humanoids, like Lich, Lion and Lifestealer.
    ---

Earth Shaker is most likeley not a Golem, as Golems are raised by "magic" or whatever Human trickery. Earthshaker just became sentiant and grew a body because he felt like it. Also he is not made of Soil and Rocks, he is more the spirit of the Earth, as he cleary has blood and flesh, wich makes him pretty much the opposit of a Golem.
    I disagree, nothing states that he wasn't sand and rock grown sentient before he molded himself into a beast of flesh and blood. Also, magic isn't exclusive for humanoids, neither is creating a golem. I disagree with your description of a golem.

---

Also to me Alchemist seems to be of the same race as Tinker and probably sniper as they share Size, facial hair and colour sheme.
    If you took the time to at least read his post or even the current lore, you would have known that Alchemist is refered to as a goblin and Tinker is more likely a dwarf or gnomes. Sniper/Tinker/Clockwerk appear to be a tad bigger than Alchemist is.

---

It wouldn't hurt to actually read the OP before you comment on any errors he could have made. Discussions are healthy, but just randomly commenting on things you have obviously not read well enough while it's actually worthwhile to read, meh.
    Last edited by Coal; 12-20-2011 at 09:51 AM.