Common Dota 2 Technical Issues and Solutions
I get an error message that files were unable to be read, or there was an error loading.
This can occur if your Dota 2 install is corrupted or incomplete due to a restart or error. You can have Steam check your Dota 2 Install and re-download any corrupted files by following the instructions here, https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2037-QEUH-3335
How do I see my ping and frames per second?
Add the option "+net_graph 1" to the launch options for Dota 2.
Dota 2 does not start and the error reports a crash in shaderapidx9i.dll
This is usually caused by a Windows configuration issue. Please see solutions presented in this article, https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...4168-TLZB-4976
When I started Dota 2 the doors won't open and I'm stuck at "Connecting to the Dota 2 Network"!
This means your client is unable to talk to the Dota 2 Community and Matchmaking Server. This can be caused by a few issues:
- You are running dota.exe directly and not through Steam. Make sure you launch the game from your Steam client Library.
- An update to Dota 2 or to Steam may be in progress. Please wait until the update is complete.
- The Dota 2 Community and Matchmaking Server is currently down or restarting. Please wait a few minutes and try again.
- Steam is currently experiencing a high load and may be unable to connect you to the Dota 2 Community and Matchmaking server. Wait a few minutes and try again.
- You have old or misconfigured Steam client. Completely reinstalling Steam has helped some users with this issue.
This issue is rarely caused by any install issues. Please do not reinstall Dota 2. The best thing is to wait and check the dev forums for any updates.
When playing together with a friend at the same location (LAN), we both can't connect to the same server at the same time.
This is generally caused by a router that can't handle two different computers connecting to the same remote address using UDP while using the same source port. Please see this article for possible solutions, https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...6370-QPHJ-3567
The sound stutters and the game freezes for a short time when a player picks a hero.
This is a known issue and a limitation that is currently present in the beta. This will be fixed at a later date.
Do I need to forward any ports to play Dota 2?
No. Dota 2 is played on Valve hosted dedicated servers and no other players connect to you.
What protocol and ports does Dota 2 use?
Dota 2 uses the UDP protocol and communicates on ports 27015 through 28999 to our dedicated servers. By default, your client opens UDP port 27005 or your computer to connect to the game servers.
I can start Dota 2, but when I create a Practice game or try to accept a Matchmaking game I get "Connection Exceeded the Number of Retries."
The basic issue here is UDP packets from your computer to the game servers are not being received. There can be several reasons for this:
- You have firewall or security software that is blocking Dota 2 from sending and/or receiving UDP packets. Some people have reported issues with COMODO firewall and similar products. Please disable them or configure them to allow Dota 2 to send UDP packets.
- You are on a restricted network that is blocking UDP packets. This could be because of installed VPN software, or you are at a school or university that is blocking the UDP ports Dota 2 needs to play.
- You may have a router that is incorrect configured or requires software updating.
- A possible solution for Netgear DGN1000 Routers: Access your router settings (usually through 192.168.0.1), click on ADSL Settings, change Multiplexing Method from VC-BASED TO LLC-BASED and press Apply.
I'm getting Steam Validation Rejected or No Steam Logon often while I'm playing.
This error can be caused by account sharing. PLEASE DO NOT SHARE YOUR ACCOUNT. Account sharing is not permitted by the Steam Subscriber Agreement. You are responsible for the actions on your account.
If you are not sharing your account and you still receive this message, it indicates that Steam is having issues authenticating your ownership of Dota 2. It typically means that the Steam client is having difficulty connecting to the Steam servers. Please see this article to help identify issues with Steam connections, https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1456-EUDN-2493 Several users have reported success when changing Steam to use TCP (as described in the linked article).
During heavy combat, the game lags a lot.
You can try setting the "Network Quality" option to Low in the Game Options. This will reduce the amount of packets Dota 2 sends to you with a slight increase in response time.
My screen capture program doesn't work with Dota 2.
Under Windows Vista and Windows 7, Dota 2 uses a new Direct3D library called Direct3D 9Ex. Some applications that capture the screen may not fully support this. You can disable this by adding "-nod3d9ex" to the Dota 2 launch options in Steam. This may make full screen play unstable, so it's recommended you play in Windowed mode if you disable Direct3D 9Ex.
An Error Has Occurred While installing Dota 2(Missing Configuration) or (No connection to content servers)
This occurs when Steam is having an issue in attempting to download and install the game.
- You may have web proxy software or VPN software that is restricting Steam from making HTTP connections to download content. Please disable any web proxy or VPN software if you can, or configure it to allow Steam to make HTTP connections.
- The download region you are connecting to may have connectivity issues to you. You can change the Download Region. Please see this article for more information, https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...9498-WPDF-3220
- You may have a corrupted configuration file that is preventing Steam from installing the game. Exit Steam then delete this file in your userdata folder located inside the Steam folder (usually Program Files\Steam or Program Files (x86)\Steam):
After that restart Steam.
- You may have an incorrect system date. Make sure the time and date are set correctly on your computer.
Last edited by Zoid; 09-24-2012 at 11:38 AM.
For any other crash/graphical issues/error, always try these steps.
- Update your operating system. Links: Windows | Mac.
- Update your graphics card driver. Links: NVidia | AMD/ATi | Intel
- Restart your PC (very important).
- Turn off all other programs.
Last edited by CvP; 05-17-2012 at 06:38 AM.
- If you have laptop with dual gpu, follow this thread.
- For crash issues, this thread can be a good start!
- If you want to perform a clean installation of Dota2, you can follow this guide.
- Follow this thread to resolve low fps issues (usually while watching games in dual monitor setup) when game losses focus.
- This might be a possible fix for update/download stalled/stuck issue: Link
- Possible Bluescreen issues: link.
Last edited by CvP; 06-06-2014 at 10:55 AM.