Thread: Unplayable: game crashes, can't change graphics settings

Basic Member

Unplayable: game crashes, can't change graphics settings

Important note:
    Unless I can turn the brightness all the way to the max, I can't play the game.
    Default brightness settings make the game way contrasty and makes my eyes bleed out in matter of seconds.

Problem #1:
    Each time I run the game, my brightness and Vsync settings are reset. Now, okay, I'll just change the settings each time I run the game, a minor inconvenience.

Problem #2:
    Now since the Invoker update came out, my brightness and Vsync settings are reset each friggin time I start a new match. Now, okay, I'll just change the settings each time a play a new match. This is super annoying, but I can still live with that.

Problem #3:
    Now since the Invoker update came out, game crashes when I change my graphics settings (the part i care about really is the brightness)

So the scenario plays out like this: I start a new match, brightness settings are reset, I chose the hero, I go into options and set brightness to max, game crashes.

A side problem #4:
    Game also sometimes (way to often really) crashes when I alt-tab. This is kinda annoying, but I can just not alt-tab when playing. So I can with live with that sorta.

But I can't live with default brightness settings, my eyes just give out, they just pop out and bleed and I just can't play.

Give me a quick fix to a .cfg file, or let me change brightness from a console command or something.

Basic Member
    Okay, so I found a quick fix:
    Basically go to Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\cfg\

There are files: videodefaults.txt, video.txt

Change variables:
    "setting.mat_vsync" "0"
    "setting.mat_monitorgamma" "0.0"

This seems to change default brightness to maximum and turn off Vsync, that is exactly what i wanted.