Thread: Video settings, the "Use basic settings" slider doesn't set shadow quality to ultra

Video settings, the "Use basic settings" slider doesn't set shadow quality to ultra

When you put the "Use basic settings" slider to "Best looking", it puts shadow quality on "High", instead of "Ultra".

Last edited by bu3ny; 03-20-2016 at 11:13 AM.
    Please, just call me buny.

Perhaps the Ultra shadow quality isn't the best looking one. ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Also, VSync is not enabled either.
    Credits to Phoenix.

This is still the case.

Furthermore, basic settings also disable the Max FPS slider and the VSync setting. Both of these are unaffected by basic settings, so the abiltiy to change them should not be disabled by it.

Shadow Quality Ultra is hazardous on potato / entry hardware (specially anything onboard) as it will skyrocket memory and processing costs.
    It can also cause crashes when toggled while a game is running, so it's actually a good thing it's omitted by default!
    If you have hardware that supports it, you should set it manually anyway. Other games featuring Ultra Shadows / Ultra Textures also do no include it in built-in profiles!

The other ones are debatable. I would say disabling them is fine since it prevents more issues than causing.
    Toggling fps_max in particular used to be forbidden while being connected to a game in other source games (cs) so probably that's where it comes from (but netcode is different in dota).

I'm actually not a fan of basic profiles since the visual quality vs. performance penalty coefficient is lacking.
    I've long proposed a different combination of settings in my autoexec.cfg reference:

D-OPTIMIZER PRESETS Potato Low OPTIMAL Med High Ultra
    Animate Portrait - - - - - -
    Additive Light Pass OFF ON ON ON ON ON
    World Lighting OFF OFF ON ON ON ON
    Ambient Occlusion OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF ON
    Normal Maps OFF OFF ON ON ON ON
    Ground Parallax OFF OFF OFF OFF ON ON
    Ambient Creatures OFF OFF OFF OFF ON ON
    Ambient Cloth Simulation OFF OFF OFF ON ON ON
    Grass OFF OFF 1* 2* 3* 4*
    Potato Low OPTIMAL Med High Ultra
    Anti-Aliasing OFF OFF OFF OFF ON ON
    Specular OFF OFF OFF ON ON ON
    Specular and Light Blooms OFF OFF OFF OFF ON ON
    High Quality Water OFF OFF OFF OFF ON ON
    Atmospheric Fog OFF OFF OFF ON
    ON ON
    High Quality Dashboard - - - - - -
    VSync OFF* OFF* OFF* OFF* OFF* OFF*
    Tree Wind OFF OFF ON ON ON ON
    Potato Low OPTIMAL Med High Ultra
    Texture Quality LOW MED MED MED HIGH HIGH
    Texture Filtering (not in GUI) 0 1 1 2
    3 4
    Effects Quality LOW LOW LOW MED HIGH HIGH
    Shadow Quality OFF LOW HIGH HIGH HIGH ULTRA
    Render Quality 71 81 91 100 100 100
    Maximum frames per second 60 60 120 120 144 240

- incremental presets in both performance and quality
    - Ambient Occlusion and High Quality Water are very taxing and should only be enabled on powerful systems
    - Specular is particularly too taxing in Source 2 and you're better off without it if you can have Shadows enabled instead
    - Normal Maps improve default terrain on some areas (trees, ramps), but can be omitted on custom ones like Immortal Gardens
    - basically, Shadows are the most important option and worth sacrificing all others over it
    - default Grass quality (1) and Tree Wind are light on performance and the added immersion is certainly worth it
    - Texture Quality below Med and Render Quality below 71% makes no sense even for potatoes
    - Effects Quality does not do much without cfg tweaks
    - Animate Portrait is left unchecked as it's a matter of preference - some will value it over any other option even if it's as taxing as Word Lighting for example

I also have to warn about using basic settings, since it will screw up with manual settings done in launch options, console or autoexec.cfg.

Quote Originally Posted by aveyo View Post
    The other ones are debatable. I would say disabling them is fine since it prevents more issues than causing.
    I mean, they aer not really disabled as in you can't change them while playing. You can still just turn the basic settings off, change your max_fps bar or vsync setting and then turn basic settings back on again. My point was just, since they are not included in the basic settings, it makes little sense for them to grey out when turning basic settings on.

Come to think of it, why is it using a slider anyway? A slider with 4 options, it would make more sense for it to be a drop-down menu with 4 different setting templates, which would change your settings, but still allow you to customize afterwards. Similar to how the hotkey templates work (where you can choose one of the templates and then do some adaptations afterwards).

Quote Originally Posted by bu3ny View Post
    Come to think of it, why is it using a slider anyway? A slider with 4 options, it would make more sense for it to be a drop-down menu with 4 different setting templates, which would change your settings, but still allow you to customize afterwards. Similar to how the hotkey templates work (where you can choose one of the templates and then do some adaptations afterwards).
    I've done just that before 7.00 in my unreleased ARCANA HOTKEYS III client-side mod i.e. replaced basic settings with my presets as radio buttons that would dynamically change the advanced settings. Kreygasm level.

Valve is just lazy.