Thread: Editing Dota 2 Resolution

Editing Dota 2 Resolution

I would like to edit my resolution.
    No, not via the options that change the resolution in game, but rather using the Registry Editor. I'm finding that since I have graphical limitations I've been going back and forth between many resolutions, but can't seem to hit the sweet spot. I've done this with Warcraft III (since it doesn't have my computer's resolution), so I assume that it will work.

Two questions then:
    Is it possible?
    And if so, how can I do it?

You can specify the resolution using the launch options. Right click Dota 2 and add -w <width> and -h <height> to the launch options, where width and height are the resolution you wish. For example, I use "-w 1920 -h 1200" on my laptop.

Mmm, I tried that but it reverts to the nearest "default" resolution.
    I put in "-w 800 -h 500" into the console but it put it back to 800x600.

It's also stored in your video.txt file:

"setting.defaultres" "1680"
    "setting.defaultresheight" "1050"
    Last edited by slowreflex; 02-05-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    Please read Common Discussions, Common Suggestions, Common Technical Issues, Common Bugs, and do a website search prior to making any new thread.
    Use the report () button to report flaming, illegal discussions, offensive content, excessive spam, trolling, advertising, or duplicate threads

How can I access that file?

it's video.txt in my case, and it's located here: (C:\Program Files\)Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\cfg

Quote Originally Posted by JagdPanther69 View Post
    it's video.txt in my case, and it's located here: (C:\Program Files\)Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\cfg
    You're right, it's video.txt.
    Please read Common Discussions, Common Suggestions, Common Technical Issues, Common Bugs, and do a website search prior to making any new thread.
    Use the report () button to report flaming, illegal discussions, offensive content, excessive spam, trolling, advertising, or duplicate threads

Doesn't seem to work.

My default resolution says 800x600 if you're curious. I tried changing it to the settings I wanted (800x540) but to no avail.

I'm not sure if 800x540 is a valid resolution for the game. I see 800x600 in my choices, but not 800x540.

So it's a question of validity?
    I feel like it's impossible to change the resolution to something other than the ones you can change to ingame.
    Hrm..