Thread: Stuck on "Connecting to Dota 2 network..."

Basic Member

Stuck on "Connecting to Dota 2 network..."

So, I got DotA2 beta key out of Stage142 LANs I was, or am, part of. First I encountered a problem where my Dota2 just crashed after loading screen instantly. After searching for fixes, I found one and managed actually launch the game. During last 10 hours I've been trying, more and less, to find a fix for another problem:

I launch my DotA2, I get to lobby screen, it says forever "Connecting to Dota 2 network..." I am talking about over 20 minutes time, so I'd like to have some help with this issue. I asked local staff and they hadn't seen anything like this.

Heres what I've tried already:
    Restart Steam
    Validate Cache. Edit: Seems to say always exact same message: 4 files failed to validate and will be reacquired. (When?)
    Install latest Video Card Drivers
    Update Steam
    Restart Steam
    Restart PC
    Change ingame graphics
    Launching it from D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta, never expected this to work tough since it even shouldnt connect(?).
    Disable Firewall
    Disable Antivir
    About ports: there are 150 other people who can play DotA in LAN so I suppose ports should be good?

Probably forgot something here
    & here.

I dont know if its any help, but I got 10 files which are named like "dota_crash_20120310122854_1" which I suppose are error reports. Are there anything I can do with them?

Thank You.

Oh, and just to edit some hardware:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 4GB 800MHz DDR 2
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 5770 HD
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3
    Last edited by Mauste; 03-10-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Basic Member
    Hey dude, are you clicking on the game from your desktop or pinned program tab? Open it in steam, Should fix.

Basic Member
    I've been starting the game randomly from desktop shortcut and from steam library. Never really paid attention to it, but point is, tried them both.

Have you tried oping your ports on your router/firewall for Dota2?

UDP ports 27015 through 27040
    UDP port 27005

Basic Member
    Am pretty noob with port forwarding, done it few times, but if I understand right, they should be open since I am in a hall with 150 other people (LAN) and they can play DotA2? I tried completely disabling firewall and Antivir aswell, which should be good enough aswell? Also I added Dota 2 into I-dont-remember-what-list in firewall settings.

Forgot to add them to list and going to do it now.

Basic Member
    After I dont know how many hours of searching I got mad and reinstalled steam. Found it actually working... You shall close the thread.