I apologize for the potentially duplicated thread, but I am afraid that none of the discussions that touched this topic were able to provide conclusive details why this may be happening and how to resolve it.
In short, I have been a Steam user for years (even though my games were not directly purchased from the Steam shop) and I have been occasionally playing Dota 2 to practice with bots during the past year.
I have just recently started playing with friends around the time of the latest update and noticed the following problematic behavior with in-game chat:
- If I play in a party with higher rated friends, I am able to send chat messages, but cannot see any of the allied chat whatsoever
- If I play solo with other new players (1-8 level in Dota 2), I cannot even type in chat due to a "Chat is muted" message - I have played only around 10 games and didn't have the chance to communicate, so I find it unlikely that I am chat banned
- The option to "Mute all chat" is disabled, nor have I muted any players - double checked this several times
- I am only able to receive the last chat messages after the game has already ended
Needless to say, this puts a huge gameplay burden in a heavily team based game, as pinging and chat wheel commands are not always sufficient.
It appears that the symptoms above are common for a large number of new players (while longer time players do not seem to have a problem). Unfortunately, I have only stumbled upon speculations how to resolve this and not a single official announcement from the developer, which is rather strange considering my impression that this restriction or bug was not existing until now.
Some of the users believe that:
- This is associated with the Steam account level and requires a purchase of at least 5 dollars/euro
It would be great if someone could confirm whether this resolved the problem, but I am reluctant to purchase something I don't need just for the sake of it considering that several people mentioned that they have recently bought games or tried this method to no avail.
- I also have friends playing Dota 2 for a longer time who haven't actually made any purchases in the Steam Shop and have no issues with in-game chat, which may indicate that the above theory is not really true.
Having the above in mind, is it possible that the restriction is only present for a low in-game level?
I am sorry for the long post, but wanted to summarize the available information in the hope that someone was able to work around this problem and has a solid clue why chat does not function properly for a certain amount of players.
I was also unable to find the proper channel to ask customer support by Steam/Valve/Dota 2 for verified information, as the officially listed contact is the developer forum, but no one has responded to any of the chat related reports so far.
Any insight will be appreciated.