Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: API Requests

Quote Originally Posted by Yavimaya View Post
    That would kind of suck IMO, mostly because no one has worked out how to code different talent choice based on situation yet and if the defaults did it but scripter added bots didnt that wouldnt be very good at all.
    a function that we could use to make them do it would be nice, but i dont see how they would do it.
    Sorry to compare games, but Heroes Of The Storm bots actually level up randomly, have random skins and use all heroes.

Also, are the default bots now able to level up the new talents? If not, please fix this; some bot scripts have an automatic update function, so the default bots should as well in my opinion.

Basic Member
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but it would be good if it was possible to assign bots to lanes in a different way from at present. The current system where you walk to a lane and the bots rearrange accordingly is ok, but it messes things up if you accidentally walk through the wrong lane etc., and doesn't really allow for solo offlane/trilanes. Maybe a way to assign lanes on the minimap during the picking phase? Or new commands to direct bots to a lane? E.g. apparently this was possible with Warcraft 3 Dota AI. Anyway I realise this is hardly the most pressing API addition but just thought I'd throw it out there in case - it would be cool.
    Also if it hasn't already been mentioned I think it would be good if the bot prefix in front of the bot names is removed. For example, there's a bot script on the workshop that uses pro player names but the (Bot) in front of the name spoils the effect lol.
    Last edited by Riveon; 05-31-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Basic Member
    Please add a FrameTime() function to calculate the deltatime between Think() updates.
    Explanations on the normal, high and very high brackets in replays: here, here & here
    Why maphacks won't work in D2: here

I would like to be able to add my own modes (i.e. like generic_<my-mode>.lua, rather than just overwriting the existing modes)

My reason for this is some of the existing modes are quite generic.
    I.e. laning.

Right now laning has to cover
    - farming the creepwave
    - zoning an opponent
    - pulling creeps
    - stacking

I essentially have to implement my own desire system on top of current one, just to work out what variant of laning to be doing.

When you look at stacking this gives even more motivation for being able to define a stacking mode, with its own Desire and think functions.
    because think of the times you decide to stack, it can be laning. but you can also be retreating to fountain, or going for a rune and you suddenly realise its the perfect time to stack the camp next to you.

Under current implementation I need to override loads of different modes, simply to say "if you're near a camp and its near stack timing...wait and stack it"

It would be much simpler to have a generic_stacking.lua. where I could implement a think function for stacking the nearest camp. then just have a getDesire function based on time/distance to camp/if in danger
    https://github.com/ThePianoDentist/t...dentistdotabot Lina bot which pulls small camp when 'laning' (Aim to work on pulling and stacking bots initially)
    https://github.com/ThePianoDentist/dotabots-ml-tools Parsing data from bot games

also bot:AggroEnemy(target) function would be quite useful

two use cases:
    1) aggroing lane-creeps for advanced/realistic laning
    (might not need the argument. it would just do an attack-move command on nearest enemy hero. may be safe to force us to find nearest enemy before doing, so have error checks for if all enemies invisible. after attack-move immediately stop current action)

2) aggroing neutral creeps for stacking/pulling

the cases may be different enough they require different functions/implementations.
    I've already done my own implementation of 2), but it would be waaay simpler, and work with the action-queue system much nicer, if Aggro was a possible action
    https://github.com/ThePianoDentist/t...dentistdotabot Lina bot which pulls small camp when 'laning' (Aim to work on pulling and stacking bots initially)
    https://github.com/ThePianoDentist/dotabots-ml-tools Parsing data from bot games

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheP1anoDentist View Post
    I would like to be able to add my own modes (i.e. like generic_<my-mode>.lua, rather than just overwriting the existing modes)

My reason for this is some of the existing modes are quite generic.
    I.e. laning.

Right now laning has to cover
    - farming the creepwave
    - zoning an opponent
    - pulling creeps
    - stacking

I essentially have to implement my own desire system on top of current one, just to work out what variant of laning to be doing.

When you look at stacking this gives even more motivation for being able to define a stacking mode, with its own Desire and think functions.
    because think of the times you decide to stack, it can be laning. but you can also be retreating to fountain, or going for a rune and you suddenly realise its the perfect time to stack the camp next to you.

Under current implementation I need to override loads of different modes, simply to say "if you're near a camp and its near stack timing...wait and stack it"

It would be much simpler to have a generic_stacking.lua. where I could implement a think function for stacking the nearest camp. then just have a getDesire function based on time/distance to camp/if in danger
    nearly.
    the stacking atleast can be done in a farm_generic with no problems.

Basic Member
    similar to PianoDentists idea..... Ability to set bots into modes from other files please.
    for e.g. running default valve modes for defend tower, attack, roam, etc, but being able to set the mode desire in an ability_item_use file, etc.

It would be nice if there was a version of GetNearby* that would let you pass in an arbitrary point (provided it wasn't in fog of war) rather than using the unit's location.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by axetion View Post
    It would be nice if there was a version of GetNearby* that would let you pass in an arbitrary point (provided it wasn't in fog of war) rather than using the unit's location.
    Why not remove the unit-scoped functions completely, make them global, but add the reference location as a new param? Then when you'd want to use it "on the unit", the reference location would be Bot:GetLocation() This seems cleaner then doubling up on the functions

@Chris please extend the lane assignment grace period to 25 seconds instead of 15 seconds (i.e. the moment when humans move heroes around lanes and makes the bots rearrange their laning after the horn). The reason I ask this, is that going from the radiant safe jungle bounty rune to mid within 15 seconds without boots is so tight that there are times when I miss it by 1 second and I either have to dual lane with a creep-stealing bot that ends up farmed, but completely useless (not to mention sucks up the XP) or I have to move my hero somewhere else where the bots "decide" I should go.
    Obviously, the new grace period should apply to both, native and custom bots.
    Explanations on the normal, high and very high brackets in replays: here, here & here
    Why maphacks won't work in D2: here