Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overriding a single bot's generic behaviour

Overriding a single bot's generic behaviour

Hi,
    if I create a file bot_generic.lua, this will completely take over all bots, i.e. disable the default behaviour for every bot in the game.
    - or if I create a, let's say, bot_lina.lua file, this will override Lina's behaviour - but just Lina.
    Is there a way to apply the functionality of bot_generic to just one slot?

My use case is to take over and alter the behaviour of whatever one specific bot/slot picks (or is assigned via hero_select.lua)
    - but just that one and let the other 9 bots use the default behaviour.

Basic Member
    Along the same track it would be really useful to have the drafting script be able to designate 'roles' to a hero and then have a generic script for each role so you don't have to go through every support hero and tell them how to ward etc.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyeCat View Post
    Along the same track it would be really useful to have the drafting script be able to designate 'roles' to a hero and then have a generic script for each role so you don't have to go through every support hero and tell them how to ward etc.
    Still haven't tried it b/c of exams but you should be able to declare common globals in the lua scripts to decide on role designation, etc. Probably something the team level script will decide on and set when one of the team eval functions is called the first time as the game starts.

RW Semaphores and you should be good for the rest of the game since it's rare that you'll come around to changing it after setting it once in the start.

Really could use a global init function somewhere though to initialize variables that the API doesn't provide but are clearly more related to a particular script.

I think his point was, and I second that, that a configuration interface (like they offer for mods) would be nice.

This is still impossible, isn't it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    This is still impossible, isn't it?
    Well, you have modes that you can define which will teach a bot (any bot) to "ward" for example. You define "when" you want to "ward" and "how" to ward.. and any bot that has "nothing better" to do based on Desire values will go ward. Obviously you will want to make sure your desire to "ward" is based on actually having wards as well.

Nah, not really what I have in mind. I'd like to replace the entire architecture for a single (mutliple) bots independently of which hero they pick. Something like bot_generic_0.lua

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    Nah, not really what I have in mind. I'd like to replace the entire architecture for a single (mutliple) bots independently of which hero they pick. Something like bot_generic_0.lua
    No way to currently do it, but not sure why you would want that anyways, but doesn't matter I guess

I have a bot framework that lets you control a hero through HTTP POST, hence my interest in the other thread, that so far uses a custom game to achieve this. The endpoint on the user side decides which hero to play, and
    I'd hoped to implement this in a more elegant way using the bot API, but I guess it's still not an option

Basic Member
    you doing any specific type of AI there?