Thread: Camera settings suggestion and test. (Camera grip, follow hero.)

Basic Member

Lightbulb Camera settings suggestion and test. (Camera grip, follow hero.)

Hi. I've been playing Dota 2 since release, and some original Dota before that. But I never liked the way controls are implemented. I can't stand edge panning, and for a long time I've been using WASD controlled camera. But then I definitely felt that it was limiting my ability to quickly use spells and items. Bad interface (controls) (for me personally) is the main reason I'm not playing Dota anymore.

I always wanted control methods like those used in Bloodline champions. I wanted camera to follow hero but then also to move around like it does when you enable reverse camera grip with current Dota version. Dota is half way there, but it's system for following hero and having camera grip doesn't work properly. Forward grip doesn't work when camera is following unit. The only way I found to start following unit is by double clicking the portrait when it is selected, which is impractical.

So I've made a project in Unity to demonstrate what controls I want for Dota. I did some experementation, and what I ended up with is this. Even just configurable inverse grip velocity multiplyer would help .

- When hero is selected, pressing hero selection button again will enable following him, and pressing it again will disable it.
    - When camera is following hero inverse camera grip is working.
    - Acceleration is applied to grip, and can be configured.
    - Edge pan is not limited while following the hero, and is not interrupting following the hero.

Here you can download and test it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...VlIc0dFRTZaQUE

- Space (recommended), MMB, LMB = grip
    - Mouse 4, R = "Select Hero", which enables and disables camera follow behavior.

There are few more things to test and implement there, but I can't spare more time right now. I might continue the project and also upload the source later. I would like to test a behavior where grip is on toggle instead of hold key. I want to test "center on hero when selected" behavior. I already tried a control model with hero always in the middle and camera panning around (Bloodline Champions). It was not great, but I might come back to that. Feedback, suggestion, and support would be appreciated.
    Last edited by illinar; 12-19-2016 at 02:48 AM.

Basic Member
    :crickets:

I expected this to be a more active forum.

After doing the testing I'm not 100% sure that I would use camera follow, at least if it work exactly like mine. But if it would be more smooth, then yes, I would, pretty often. And I would use camera grip if it would have a speed setting. Current inverse camera grip in Dota is trash, unless you want to use it only for minor adjustments.
    Last edited by illinar; 12-19-2016 at 02:58 AM.

I'm actually interested in this Downgate-style camera (that's probably what you want?)

It was never published since it requires external hacks (like in this video). Funny how cheats do support stuff like this...

I would not expect support from Valve on this matter - they can't get even basic stuff from 6.88 working in 7.00

As for doing something similar with console commands - I don't think it's doable, we're still missing some, and most usable commands are cheat protected anyway i.e. can't be used in matchmaking.
    Add to that the autoexec.cfg being killed in matchmaking...
    Will check it later and report back.

Basic Member
    Yes this looks similar to what I want, but probably with smoothed lock/follow.

But again, just camera grip speed settings would help a lot, and are very easy to implement.

Basic Member
    The "Hold select hero to follow" option actually now functions just like in that video. I'm not sure when this change was made, but it must have been recent because the last time I messed with camera binds it didn't work like this.
    It uses a hard follow (none of the floaty lerp stuff), and if you edge pan while holding it it'll pan around but still follow your hero's movement.

My dream would be a separate keybind that functions like this but follows your selected unit rather than changing your selection to your hero and only following that, but this is still a huge step in the right direction.

Basic Member
    Currently hold to follow is crap. I think I described why. Edge pan interrupts following. Following is smoothed (not saying i's bad). Reverse camera grip doesnt work while following. You have to hold down hero selection button or double click the portrait to enter that mode.

Of course it only makes sense to follow currently selected unity, not just hero.

A follow up: it can be improved, but it will screw up other camera controls / modes, too and requires dynamic adjustments to match screen resolution. I have a concept working (for selected unit, not just main hero) but it requires multiple commands so it cant be used in mm.
    Might be featured on my arcana hotkeys III client-side mod, eta unknown (will update this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by illinar View Post
    Currently hold to follow is crap. I think I described why. Edge pan interrupts following. Following is smoothed (not saying i's bad). Reverse camera grip doesnt work while following. You have to hold down hero selection button or double click the portrait to enter that mode.

Of course it only makes sense to follow currently selected unity, not just hero.
    You might be interested in this topic: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=276971
    OP ranted about the same crap, and provided a simple cfg + autohotkey script to get around it, but it only works for the main hero.
    I've provided the crap alternative but for any selected unit, not just main hero, made a little more useful by using mwheel binds.
    I did have something else working based on camera locking but I've misplaced it somewhere (was client-side mode anyway).
    Hopefully I get to publish an update to my mod, it will feature at least the first one (to not require autohotkey).