Thread: [0 16] Item Slots and [0 23] ability Slots, any explanation???

Basic Member

[0 16] Item Slots and [0 23] ability Slots, any explanation???

In valve' Wiki( description of getiteminslot and ability one ) I found this:

Code:
    hAbility GetAbilityInSlot( nAbilitySlot )
    Gets a handle to ability in the specified slot. Slots range from 0 to 23.
    hItem GetItemInSlot( nIventorySlot )
    Gets a handle to item in the specified inventory slot. Slots range from 0 to 16.
    for some hero like IO, we will have 10 ability( consider with canceling Nether and Spirit in/out ) and 8 talents. so 18 abilites available here. but it seems 6 abilites more, ( at least it may be empty for IO ).

for items slots, we have 6 hero slots, 3 backpacks and 6 slots in base. so it should be 0 up to 14 not 16

Did I miss something here? i cant understand why 23 and 16 are max size of abilites and item slots?

Basic Member
    Yes, for IO the other slots are nil. All 24 slots will be full if it was Invoker. He has 4 main skills, 8 talents, 2 empty slots that can be filled and swapped between the other 10 invoked spells slots which in total produce 24 slots.
    For item slots you have 6 main slots, 3 backpack slots, 6 stash slots, and 1 empty slot that will be used if you have to swap between sentry and observer ward which in total produced 16 slots.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by arz_on4dt; 03-13-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Basic Member
    Thanks arz

I undertand about the reason of 24 ability slots but for items, as u said we have 6 main and stash, and 3 backpack. we have 15 slots for items but here we have 17( 0 -> 16 ). it would be hard to test all slots in game that which slots belongs to where( for debugging i mean )

anyway your comments was helpful, thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIKIM View Post
    Thanks arz

I undertand about the reason of 24 ability slots but for items, as u said we have 6 main and stash, and 3 backpack. we have 15 slots for items but here we have 17( 0 -> 16 ). it would be hard to test all slots in game that which slots belongs to where( for debugging i mean )

anyway your comments was helpful, thanks
    I said it before. In item slots there is 1 more slot. But maybe actually we have 2 empty slots. If you buy sentry and observer ward the slot that displayed in the item slot isn't observer or sentry but it will display item_ward_dispenser slot while the observer and sentry "maybe" hidden in the other 2 slots. So if you toggle to the observer ward that observer can be used and vice versa. So that make sense if we have 17 in total.

Valve Developer
    Items slots are:

0-5: main inventory
    6-8: backpack
    9-14: stash
    15: hidden slot used when purchasing an item that is immediately autocombined away
    16: hidden slot used when an item purchase requires an implicit recipe (items that combine without needing to buy a recipe auto-purchase a free recipe item under the hood that's immediately combined away)

You can totally ignore slots 15 and 16, they just exist for item combining purposes.

Basic Member
    thanks for your reply Chris
    Now everyone can manage item slots more easily

Basic Member
    Chris
    Is there anyway to access items in courier backpack? owner of items and etc?
    during delivering items for player, GetItemSlotType() return -1. however the item is in courier backpack.