Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: March 30 Bot Update

Valve Developer

March 30 Bot Update

• Added DOTA_UNIT_TARGET_TEAM_BOTH constant.
    • Fixed IsFacingLocation() to not return true when facing directly away from the target.
    • Fixed GetExtrapolatedLocation() to actually extrapolate.

@ChrisC, bug report: when I implement the Think of the mode roshan but not GetDesire(the default),I found the dire team going to attack roshan and the radiant team not at the beginning of the game.In correct side,both teams shouldnt have done that because of the active mode is laning but not roshan.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    • Added DOTA_UNIT_TARGET_TEAM_BOTH constant.
    • Fixed IsFacingLocation() to not return true when facing directly away from the target.
    • Fixed GetExtrapolatedLocation() to actually extrapolate.
    @ChrisC - question of curiosity, does FindAOELocation() use GetExtrapolatedLocation() for the individual entities before finding the centroid?

Basic Member
    Just a Question, when i play with default bot, I have 60fps and smooth play. but when I play custom bots (like furious puppy) it starts with 35-40 fps and later it reduces to even 10fps! is it normal? Is it my PC (Phenom II 965, Radeon 6850 - 60fps normal games) or its because of BoT Complexity?

@ChrisC: I am not sure whether you see this forum or not, but does Valve have any plan to correct the default bot bugs (like item usage, backpack usage, 7.03,7.04 Builds etc, that specially corrupted in newer patches)? If yes, I can provide you with a list of most immediate bug list.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fandogh View Post
    Just a Question, when i play with default bot, I have 60fps and smooth play. but when I play custom bots (like furious puppy) it starts with 35-40 fps and later it reduces to even 10fps! is it normal? Is it my PC (Phenom II 965, Radeon 6850 - 60fps normal games) or its because of BoT Complexity?

@ChrisC: I am not sure whether you see this forum or not, but does Valve have any plan to correct the default bot bugs (like item usage, backpack usage, 7.03,7.04 Builds etc, that specially corrupted in newer patches)? If yes, I can provide you with a list of most immediate bug list.
    LUA is slower than C++. There is also a matter of the way the code is written. If it is not properly optimized it can drop frames a lot.
    There is also an issue of game duration. My "average" laptop can handle around 30+ FPS, sometimes 40 with native bots and everything on low graphics settings, however, if the game reaches 40 minutes I get 10 FPS constantly (since D2 won't let you get below 10).
    Obviously since there are no bots, normal games will have higher FPS. Also note that running a local will always be slower than a server bot, unless you're running as a LAN lobby which is just as slow as offline local ones. And, obviously, if you have players connecting to your PC, more resources are spent on that.
    Explanations on the normal, high and very high brackets in replays: here, here & here
    Why maphacks won't work in D2: here

Basic Member
    Fandogh, its odd, i also get (used to get) 10FPS when hosting my own scripts, but my housemate who has 99% same computer as me (some things different brand but same chipset) can host at 90FPS+ no problem, after recent patches my FPS has risen to about 40-50FPS when hosting.
    As nomad said, the code will likely be the problem, but then there is no way to fix it except for waiting for dedicated servers for scripts, then you can only play those scripts.

Basic Member
    Any suggestion how to optimize the code? I do exactly like ChrisC's ability_item_usage_lina.lua bots example. Which one better, passing variable like nearby creeps or heroes to function or get that data in each function. I'm afraid if I'm caching the variable handle and the handle destroyed it will lead to script error even crashing. Do actually GetBot() ever destroyed?

Basic Member
    Your own GetBot() will never return null.
    Is this the latest source?
    Explanations on the normal, high and very high brackets in replays: here, here & here
    Why maphacks won't work in D2: here

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nomad View Post
    Your own GetBot() will never return null.
    Is this the latest source?
    That one is FuriousPuppy's. This one is mine. I'm giving credit to him because I'm using some of his scripts as base.

Basic Member
    You can append members to the GetBot() handles and it will stay persistent. That is in my mind the best way to keep hero-specific variable values.