Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Help] Some scripts will slow my game down.

Basic Member

[Help] Some scripts will slow my game down.

For some time I can not play some scripts, such as "BotExperiment", "gxc", "Ranked Matchmaking AI", "PubSimulator" etc, because as the game progresses, my dota starts to freeze and slow down. And this happens even in the beginning of the game between 15 and 20 minutes.

I do not know what's happening because not long ago I used up to 2 of them at the same time. Does anyone know any way to improve this?

Basic Member
    Happens to me too sometimes. I usually restart my laptop (it's old... really old) but that only helps for 1 or 2 games then the performance drop starts all over again.
    There does seem to be an issue with framedrops as the game progresses. The last few fixes (since 6-7 months ago up to now) did help a bit, but not enough. It seems to not actually be a FPS issue as much as it is related to memory management or other performance optimizations that are not dependent on the actual game as they are on the engine itself. But that is just a guess based on the behavior
    Explanations on the normal, high and very high brackets in replays: here, here & here
    Why maphacks won't work in D2: here

Basic Member
    this happens here too

I checked most of Scripts in workshop and after about 30 min. dota going freeze and slow down

Basic Member
    Yea my scripts give me crappy FPS most of the time, i havent played with just the old default bots for ages though, so it may not be ONLY the scripts doing it (it started after a patch in late january), dota isnt known as the most optimized game considering the power it needs for the graphics it has.
    funnily enough my housemate has the exact same computer as me (some things different brand, but same item) and he doesnt get crappy FPS.

im pretty sure there are plenty of memory eating things in the scripts, i know there would be in mine and i see the sort of "mistakes" i make in almost all other scripts.
    Last edited by Yavimaya; 04-28-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Basic Member
    When you run these scripts, can you do a bot_debug_team or w/e the command is and check the time the bot thinks are taking in the debug info? I've never seen any slowdown with any scripts, and I doubt it's just cause I went all 'Shut up and take my money' on my rigs when I built them. It would be interesting to know if these slowdowns were associated with extra long think()s or memory if it can be narrowed down at all.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nomad View Post
    Happens to me too sometimes. I usually restart my laptop (it's old... really old) but that only helps for 1 or 2 games then the performance drop starts all over again.
    There does seem to be an issue with framedrops as the game progresses. The last few fixes (since 6-7 months ago up to now) did help a bit, but not enough. It seems to not actually be a FPS issue as much as it is related to memory management or other performance optimizations that are not dependent on the actual game as they are on the engine itself. But that is just a guess based on the behavior
    I understand, my friend. My PC is also old (with parts purchased in 2013), and the Nvidia GeForce Experience program has already informed me that my PC does not meet the most optimum requirements for running the current DotA 2. However, I still can play online Without these crashes and then I started to assume that it could be the scripts memory usage or some heavy programming command lines. I do not want to stop playing these scripts I mentioned because they are very well programmed and I have a lot of fun!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIKIM View Post
    this happens here too

I checked most of Scripts in workshop and after about 30 min. dota going freeze and slow down
    Frustrating, isn't it? I use some programs to clean the PC before starting DotA (like CCleaner or Advanced Systemcare), I use some game startup options (like -console, -noborder and -high) and some console commands (like mem_level 4 and gpu_mem_level 4) inside the game to try to soften the lag as much as possible. For rest is to wait for future memory game updates and work to improve our machines. Haha!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yavimaya View Post
    Yea my scripts give me crappy FPS most of the time, i havent played with just the old default bots for ages though, so it may not be ONLY the scripts doing it, dota isnt known as the most optimized game considering the power it needs for the graphics it has.
    funnily enough my housemate has the exact same computer as me (some things different brand, but same item) and he doesnt get crappy FPS.

im pretty sure there are plenty of memory eating things in the scripts, i know there would be in mine and i see the sort of "mistakes" i make in almost all other scripts.
    Thinking about this, is there any command (other than -high) for me to force DotA 2 to use more memory on my PC?

(I noticed that this is the second time you have answered me in my post. Thank you so much and ironmano and the other people who are always helping!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmano View Post
    When you run these scripts, can you do a bot_debug_team or w/e the command is and check the time the bot thinks are taking in the debug info? I've never seen any slowdown with any scripts, and I doubt it's just cause I went all 'Shut up and take my money' on my rigs when I built them. It would be interesting to know if these slowdowns were associated with extra long think()s or memory if it can be narrowed down at all.
    Okay, I'm going to use this command (bot_debug_team). Should I use it at the beginning of the game or when it starts to slow down?

Basic Member
    its dota_bot_debug_team (2 for Rad, 3 for dire, 0 for no team), use it whenever. it brings up a panel showing the bots modes and desire.
    i get the think functions showing up in console no matter what, i dont recall it being linked to when i debug_team.

but give it a go anyway.
    i also think i remember reading something here that if your thinks are getting close to or over 3.0 then you are risking not completing the think in the same frame, so is way too long, but i constantly see 2.x and some over 3.0 and it doesnt seem to directly affect anything at the time.

Vitor, i dont know sorry. I am a newb really, i am just relaying personal experience.