Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Missing programmers or did something happen?

Basic Member

Missing programmers or did something happen?

Has anything happened to the most popular scripting programmers or is my DotA bugged and does not show or download updates to these same scripts? Most of them have not been updated since the end of May. What happened?

I think AdamQQQ is still active, but yeah, I think most people got bored. Writing good bots is a lot of effort with almost no reward except maybe learning Lua and scripting, but that's about it. It is really fun at the beginning, but eventually, the excitement mostly goes away!

We were promised bot vs bot matches around 4-5 months ago (which would've been fun to have), but there is no sign of it as of yet. I thought eventually we'll have sponsored bot tournaments (like Starcraft) but that didn't happen either. We didn't even get something as small as the TI's short film/cosplay contests from Valve, even though making good bots requires 10 times more talent and dedication. There are also some other issues I've bitched about before, but yeah, I get why people are not as passionate as they used to be!

Basic Member
    yea i think it has slowed down because most people have most major elements in game already, valves involvment has slowed down to less than snails pace since they started work on the compendium and i think the license issues that come up seem to have been the nail in the coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by vitor_stwr View Post
    Has anything happened to the most popular scripting programmers or is my DotA bugged and does not show or download updates to these same scripts? Most of them have not been updated since the end of May. What happened?
    I know, it's a real shame. I wish Bot Experiment was updated more frequently, since I tend to use that bot a lot, since it has all the heroes (more variety).

Basic Member
    programmers missing because Nothing happens.
    I restarted my work on it,but it is still far from success

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlrx View Post
    programmers missing because Nothing happens.
    I restarted my work on it,but it is still far from success
    What do you mean by nothing happens?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riveon View Post
    What do you mean by nothing happens?
    there were nothing can change the situation, a strong bot, or a good framework.
    there must be a strong bot to beat humans(at least most human),then a framework,so programmers can get some positive feedback and make more strong bots

Quote Originally Posted by Yavimaya View Post
    yea i think it has slowed down because most people have most major elements in game already, valves involvment has slowed down to less than snails pace since they started work on the compendium and i think the license issues that come up seem to have been the nail in the coffin.
    Yeah... we get Chris for one day (two days if we are lucky) per week. I think this is becoming the chicken and egg problem, Chris is around less often, so less people are around so Chris comes less often ....

The licensing issues were important, but from what I see Valve is showing its support (see the workshop page of ""Rage Trigger" advanced AI"). I hope these issues get resolved fast (I also like how they kept it there with a message but didn't remove it from the workshop, since if people see Shutnik's example, they are less likely to do the same thing.)

Quote Originally Posted by lenlrx View Post
    there were nothing can change the situation, a strong bot, or a good framework.
    there must be a strong bot to beat humans(at least most human),then a framework,so programmers can get some positive feedback and make more strong bots
    True, but for strong bots we need stronger modules from the API (I have requested some, but I think more people should do that).

I still think something that makes people excited (like some sort of competition) can bring everyone back (hopefully along with some new people) and is the most important next step. I don't think 3rd party tournomants will be a thing in near future (as they tend to be more risk-averse), so Valve should start doing it (it will also show how serious Valve is about bot scripting).

Basic Member
    Enjoy your custom game destiny.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum_dota2 View Post
    Yeah... we get Chris for one day (two days if we are lucky) per week. I think this is becoming the chicken and egg problem, Chris is around less often, so less people are around so Chris comes less often ....

The licensing issues were important, but from what I see Valve is showing its support (see the workshop page of ""Rage Trigger" advanced AI"). I hope these issues get resolved fast (I also like how they kept it there with a message but didn't remove it from the workshop, since if people see Shutnik's example, they are less likely to do the same thing.)

True, but for strong bots we need stronger modules from the API (I have requested some, but I think more people should do that).

I still think something that makes people excited (like some sort of competition) can bring everyone back (hopefully along with some new people) and is the most important next step. I don't think 3rd party tournomants will be a thing in near future (as they tend to be more risk-averse), so Valve should start doing it (it will also show how serious Valve is about bot scripting).
    The current API looks pretty good, compare to few month ago.
    My project is to make a strong SF solo bot,i hope it can be finished