Thread: Dota Crashing Multiple Times

Basic Member

Dota Crashing Multiple Times

I took a couple month break from Dota and when I came back I have experienced at least one crash every game and up to about 4 times in a game. More frequently as the game goes on. I also crash when playing against just the bots. I have attached many of the logs that include both bot games and ranked games.

Ranked I seem to get packet issues, but as a heads up I have used ping -t google.com during the game and see no packet loss from my computer when it happens. Bot games also crashing without this error seems like its not network. I also don't have internet connection issues elsewhere.
    226(325.071789): \src\steamnetworkingsockets\clientlib\../steamnetworking_statsutils.h (710) : Assertion Failed: relay ack was pended for 45068158 usec, cannot pack delay properly! usecNow=1348aa34, timestamp=1098fab6, usecThen=1098fab6

I have updated all my windows/nvidia drivers and have researched drivers for motherboard, processor, lan, etc. All are updated to the latest. I never had crashing before this, which last time I played was June 2017 and played nearly every day before that. I have used the feature to "verify integrity of games files", still crashed, so I actually uninstalled dota 2 and reinstalled it completely. I have disabled my firewall as well to see and no luck.

Edit: *** per another discussion I also added -dx11 to my launch options and bot game crashed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nrowan; 09-13-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Inconsistent game dlls flops which generally points to faulty RAM / overclocking failure.
    But it can also be an external program overwriting game memory, such as a lame antivirus software or visual in-game overlays (since ddraw is loaded, it may very well be just it).
    Steps to try (one by one):
    - disable any special feature for your Jabra LINK 360 (assuming it has a control panel of some sorts) / update drivers / uninstall all Jabra software / plug it in usb 2.0 ports / unplug it
    - disable / delete all Logitech Gaming Software > Applets and any per-application profiles (actually, temporarily uninstall all Logitech software)
    - disable Windows Remote Desktop
    - disable any overlay feature in programs running such as Discord, Teamspeak, Mumble
    - disable game recording software including Nvidia ShadowPlay
    - disable Nvidia 3d Vision
    - reset display settings to defaults (dpi)

As for DOTA, check OpenGL and Vulkan support DLCs, then try launch option: -vulkan or: -gl
    -dx11 is still the recommended launch option if the issue is solved by something else.

Also, "ping -t google.com" is the silliest way to test network issues, since there are 99% chances your ISP is caching google locally and will mask any problems.
    Do it instead with domains hosted close to the DOTA server region (example: "ping -t speedtest.lu" for Luxembourg - other domains).

I bet it's just because of Valve's servers, at least that's how it has been for me in the last months, with huge 20%-60% packet loss while having premium internet from the heart of Europe.
    (Gaben does not pay the bills after TI else I can't explain why servers get to potato state year after year in the same period)

Basic Member
    Hi, hope its OK if I post in this thread rather than making my own.

Am also having multiple crashes to desktop in every game I play of dota 2 currently. Have gone through the list of troubleshooting the crashes but still no change in the problem. I have a suspicion that it is a RAM issue as I recently got a new mobo/cpu/ram setup and was experimenting with the RAM timings to get it to run at 3200mhz stable. But I don't really know what I am looking at or for in the crash dumps. I also had a blue screen crash in my last game which I have attached some of the Win10 Memory.dmp for in a text doc.

I have tried clearing dota 2 settings, verifying integrity of game cache, reinstalling game, trying -dx11 on or off, reinstalling graphics drivers with clean install. Have no other programs running other than avira/chrome/hardware monitor.

Thanks for taking a look at my dump files if you get a chance Aveyo
    Attached Files Attached Files

It's always better to make your own thread.

I've looked, DirectX crashing. But overclocking failures will generate crashes in random libraries.
    And plenty of BSODs reported in dxdiag. What exactly are you expecting if it's not a DOTA issue but a PC one (BSODs screams broken hardware / incorrect configuration / bad drivers)?
    The first thing to do is to restore BIOS settings to defaults and stop any overclocking - there is literally no support offered by anyone for overclocked systems.
    And since you have a diy system, you should not skip stability testing even on defaults - memtest86 and prime95 for at least 4 hours, along with furmark / 3dmark / heaven for at least 5 consecutive runs.

It's unlikely your issue is caused by external programs and not by a hardware issue because of oc/bios settings, but do try to uninstall bundled software (from motherboard) and peripheral utilities (Logitech, SteelSeries).
    Also disable everything under Windows Gaming (Game Bar, DVR, Game Mode), Tablet Mode, and click Stop getting to know me under Privacy - Speech.
    And check that you don't have a lame AV/firewall such as AVG/Avast/Comodo/McAfee/Eset .. (actually, it would have been better if you provided a list_my_programs.bat output while running DOTA).

Strictly speaking about DOTA, you should not use +fps_max 0 while the system is clearly unstable. Instead, set it to 60 to minimize power consumption.

Basic Member
    I appreciate all the feedback and I will give them all a try. The Jabra was actually the headset I switched to after completely removing my gaming headset software and headphones from the equation, after that I tried without any headset and got the same crashing so grabbed a work one as it didn't need drivers. I have removed all headsets from the equation now.

Are you saying that "-g -dx11" is recommended launch setting? Should I set that after I resolve the crashing and leave it?

I kind of disagree with ping -t google.com as being a silly way to test my network. If there was a specific issue to my game crashing I would probably lean towards some unknown local network component and not my ISP, as games generally handle losing internet connection or slow downs with messages and not crashing to desktop. By picking a very reliable connection you are testing your nic, ethernet cable, router, modem and then finally the connection to the ISP as things that could maybe doing something unexpected for dota.

Quote Originally Posted by nrowan View Post
    Are you saying that "-g -dx11" is recommended launch setting? Should I set that after I resolve the crashing and leave it?
    It's on another line! Maybe I should have added a blank in between. Those 3 launch options are to be used individually, not combined. So the recommendation is -dx11 (alone).

Quote Originally Posted by nrowan View Post
    I kind of disagree with ping -t google.com as being a silly way to test my network. If there was a specific issue to my game crashing I would probably lean towards some unknown local network component and not my ISP, as games generally handle losing internet connection or slow downs with messages and not crashing to desktop. By picking a very reliable connection you are testing your nic, ethernet cable, router, modem and then finally the connection to the ISP as things that could maybe doing something unexpected for dota.
    OK! If you just ping google, you diagnose your local devices, yes, but those usually work properly and the problem is isp / routing / server hence requiring another test.
    It was mentioned under "also" since it should be totally unrelated to crashing.