Thread: Unknown error. How to check lua errors on dedicated server.

Basic Member

Unknown error. How to check lua errors on dedicated server.

Hello. Today i got dedicated server, but i can't normal play.
    I suppose that the problem in lua script, but i can't check errors in game.
    This problem only on dedicated server.

And panorama has a real lags.
    For example in test version i create a repeat timer (schedule) in 0.005sec, and he don't has lags, but on dedicated server game(client) has a real lags.

And in console writes this:

[SteamNetSockets] \src\steamnetworkingsockets\clientlib\../steamnetworking_statsutils.h (710) : Assertion Failed: relay ack was pended for 45012033 usec, cannot pack delay properly! usecNow=b65f8f8, timestamp=8b724b7, usecThen=8b724b7
    Last edited by Primo; 10-11-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Timers are inherently dangerous and should not be used without consideration.
    A 5ms timer can wreck havoc when it ignores networking (that's limited to 30 updates per second).
    Set a reasonable timer. But why are you not using the built-in think functions and events instead?
    There are people knowing this stuff better, try posting here: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=284507

The network message should be unrelated (it's spewed for all dota users).

Basic Member
    Now I'm interested in fix problems with lua scripts. Because panorama lags are most likely related to the lua script.

You can't run debugging on the remote Valve servers.

But you could simulate a network load on your dev machine. Try:
    host_limitlocal 1; // Apply cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate to loopback connection [0]
    net_fakejitter 50; // Jitter fakelag packet time
    net_fakelag 20; // Lag all incoming network data (including loopback) by this many milliseconds.
    net_fakeloss 3; //Simulate packet loss as a percentage (negative means drop 1/n packets)
    net_fakeloss_recv -2; //Simulate recieved packet loss as a percentage (negative means drop 1/n packets)
    net_force_steamdatagram 0; // Force newer datagram protocol [0]
    net_queued_packet_thread 1; // Use a high priority thread instead of sending queued packets each frame. [1]

Still think there should be no timers used in lua but instead make use of events and triggers (think functions) - that's "server-side".
    If you must, then use panorama-defined timers - that's "client-side" hence it won't degrade that much when networked.

Basic Member
    I talk about timers in panorama (javascript).
    Like this:
    function SimpleFunction(){
    $.Schedule(....)
    }
    SimpleFunction();
    And thanks for cvars.

You've complained about lua in your first post, so that's why I assumed it was non-native lua timers.

Just avoid really small delays and/or try setting just one short timer globally that would check/run/set different stuff or chain-load larger timers.
    I'm not sure anyone can help without providing actual code.

Basic Member
    Problem not with timer. Problem with lua script, and i want check error log, but can't do it on dedicated server.