Thread: Dota 2 Just Won't Launch

Basic Member

Dota 2 Just Won't Launch

Just had this started yesterday after I restarted my pc. When I launch the game I get the usual steam message telling me that the game is being launched and on my name it goes to the usual yellow and describes what game I am playing but as soon as maybe 5 seconds into it the game just disappears from the taskbar and under my steam it no longer shows me in the usual yellow color you get when in a game.

Like I said, this just started yesterday. I nearly have 800 hours of 0 issues other than the usual ones (freezing at game start) but this is really annoying me. I've verified the game like 5x and it always says 100% verified, I've re-installed twice to no avail. Would love to hear some ideas as to what I should do

I had the same problem, see http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=30030

Basic Member
    I do not have avast just ad-ware and it's turned off and usually have never had this issue. Mine doesn't even actually launch anymore, I double click dota and it shows up on the taskbar for like .5 seconds and disappears.

What's frustrating is I've never ever had issues like this ever, this just started yesterday for no apparent reason.

Basic Member
    bump, even with the new patch. Dota 2 won't stay open. Just disappears

yeah

yooo this happened to me too. tried reinstalling the game. verifying locale files reinstalling steam. updating my computer. turning off cloud. everything... It just won't work

Basic Member
    SAME :C

Basic Member
    I am having the same issue with DOTA 2 since yesterday, I am not experiencing a error, dota wont crash, it just wont launch. The issue persists even if you mannually start dota from the steamapps folder, in compatability mode or with administrator permissions.

Play dota -> screen flickers for 0.1 sec, steam notifies me that im in game, 0,5 sec later im out of game and no respons from dota w/e. running the game in forced resolutions does not prevent the issue.

Basic Member
    I also have this same issue. Running Vista 64-bit. I have verified integrity, I have run as administrator, I have turned off all antivirus software and the like. Directx is up to date, all drivers are up to date. Plenty of memory to run it. I have NEVER been able to play DOTA 2. I get to update it and it tells me that I played it but all I get is preparing to launch...then NOTHING!!! I used to have this same problem with Counter Strike Source, but after simply running it as administrator it worked fine. That was after e-mailing Steam support for over a month and they were ZERO help. PLease help, I really want to play.