Thread: High GPU Temperature?

Basic Member

High GPU Temperature?

For the past 2 days, I've been noticing my GPU making some loud noises whenever I am playing Dota 2. When I checked the temperature on my GPU I was shocked to see it at 90-95C. This only occurs while playing Dota 2, every other game I've tested on (WoW, Tera, D3, etc) clocks my GPU temperature at around 60-65C. My idle GPU temperature is around 45-55. My CPU temperature only clocks in at about 50C while I'm playing Dota 2 and 40-45 at idle. My GPU is a EVGA GTX 570 with a fan speed of 65-70%. After being fed up with the high temperature issues, I decided to clean the dust inside my computer and GPU fan, but to no avail, it has done nothing to help with the GPU temp issues with Dota 2. Now instead of getting loud noises, my computer will instead just freeze/shutdown. Is it possible there was a mini patch within the past few days that might cause this? Please Help.

Basic Member
    Very common suggestion maybe, but have you tried updating to the latest drivers?

Basic Member
    I just updated them after I made this post, going to run Dota 2 and test it out.

Basic Member
    Nope. Comp still freezing when playing :/

You should get a thermal repaste done at your vendor. Clean your fans out too!
    Computer: Macbook Pro 13'
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate Media Center Edition & Mac OSX Lion
    Video Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 (2108 MB)

DOTA 2 Crash Thread http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=29735
    Mac Support Thread http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=58152

Basic Member
    If the Fan is at a high speed like that, it shouldn't be reaching temperatures of 90-95, While that temperature isn't going to damage your card, it may reduce the lifespan of the card.

If the issue only arises in DotA as you've said, have you checked to see what framerate you're running at? If your card is spewing out 300 FPS during gameplay in DotA, Your card is also producing a huge amount of waste heat, especially if it's running at 100% GPU usage. GPU temp, CPU Temp and GPU fan isn't enough info, you should also be looking at GPU usage % across games.

Try setting Vsync on in DotA and checking if that helps. Also do the console command "max_fps 120/60" depending on your monitor refresh.

This could help, but I do suggest getting your card checked or trying to replace it if it's still under warranty, over 90C is high, especially if you're running at the fan speeds that you're saying. I can run under max load on my gtx 570, for 10 hours at 100% usage, and sit at about 63% fan speed, and it stays at 89C stable the whole time. The first card I had needed to be regreased, because if I tried to do that it would overheat and turn off the computer.

Basic Member
    For some reason i think you didn't clean the dust out the graphics card. If you have a reference type cooler the dust tends to stay on the fins under the shroud of the card and the only way to get everything out of it is to blow compressed air into the exhaust port.
    If that doest help i highly suggest changing thermal compound, don't do it yourself if you are not confident in how to do it. And even if after that the temps are still the same i suggest contacting evga if the card is still under warranty.
    If not just get a third party cooling solution.