Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide: How to reinstall Dota 2 in the correct way

Guide: How to reinstall Dota 2 in the correct way

Sup guys,
    I just noticed that many people have problems with reinstalling Dota 2. The biggest problem is, that many forget to delete all local data and adding to that they forget to delete the Cloud data. In this guide I explain briefly, how to do it the correct way. That way you can solve 99% of all Dota 2-problems
    AFTER THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO REMAKE ALL YOUR DOTA 2 SETTINGS LIKE HOTKEYS ETC.!

First step: Disable Cloud
    Cloud is a Steam feature, which synchronizes all your local game data with a big online server. So no matter where on the planet you play a game via Steam, you will have everywhere the same game settings (like hot keys, sound settings etc.) By simply reinstalling Dota 2, those do not get reseted!!

So you go to Steam in the upper left corner > go on "Settings" > go on "Download and Cloud" > un-tick the Cloud function! Now cloud is disabled!

Second step: Delete all local content
    Steam must be closed! That is very important. Next you go to the following directory:
    X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<STEAMID>\

STEAMID is your personal Steam Identitiy number. Everyone has another one. When you entered that folder, you will find many folder with different numbers. The folder with number 570 is Dota 2 and you just delete it simply.

Next you go to the following directory:
    X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\
    and there you just simply delete the Dota 2 folder.

Third step: Start Steam again
    What we did until now is to reset all local Dota 2 data and disabling Cloud. Now you start Steam and you will install Dota 2 again. Then you start Dota 2 and you check if everything works correctly! If this is the case, you go to Steam settings > you activate Cloud again and it will ask, if the old Dota 2 Cloud-Data should be deleted and overwritten by the new one you created. Here you say YES. You do not want the old one which do causes problems.

Now everything should work!

Basic Member
    great. nice job!

Basic Member
    gj.

Basic Member
    i seem to have done evrything but in steam i get the PLAY button not the INSTALL, my game corrupted during a crash in an update

There is also an better alternative to delete the content from a game:
    Right-click on "Dota 2" in Steam Library, then click on "Delete Local Content..."
    This should make sure any local data of the game is out.

BUT!!!!

You should NEVER, EVER have to delete a game's content with Steam if you have problems with the said game.
    You should always use "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" to restore broken files in a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by vodyara View Post
    Please do not let this turn into TF2, the TF2 trading community is absolutely cancerous. They do not care about the game, they just want items.
    Some of my (awesome) suggestions :
    - Left4Dead/Portal 2 style voice command
    - Music Transitions depending on area and time
    - Show full item recipe tree without opening shop menu

Basic Member
    thanks, i had a problem with alt-tab from game, aswell as other pesky client bugs. legend

Basic Member

HELP.

Hey they sir, what if I just copied a Dota 2 Folder from my friend, it is possible to be played with my steam account too? If I followed that steps?

ANSWER IT PLEASE. T_T

Okay Doc do this one without deleting anything. I changed my aspect ratio in settings, not resolution, and pressed apply. It is now sending the video in 71.4hz but my monitor, like most, only runs 50 and 60. That means a black screen with sounds from loadup to kill process. How do I fix this without deleting anything or uninstalling or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by alvinec View Post
    i seem to have done evrything but in steam i get the PLAY button not the INSTALL, my game corrupted during a crash in an update
    I have this problem too. It says this game is unavailable because of corrupt game files. PLEASE REPLY FAST.

edit: problem solved by deleting everything.
    Last edited by handa711; 11-11-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Basic Member
    Install Dota 2 Test.