Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOTA 2 hijacks voice communication software

Basic Member

DOTA 2 hijacks voice communication software

DOTA 2 is impossible to use with Mumble.

If I communicate through Mumble the game somehow transmits in-game as well (despite the applications having different push-to-talk keys or even if I turn off voice comm in the game). If I turn off voice communication in DOTA 2 it gets turned back on as soon as sound is transmitted through Mumble.

It's really strange and I am wondering if there are any solutions to this.

EDIT: What actually happens is that DOTA 2 lowers the microphone input level to zero (0) in Windows - and this is what makes it impossible to use any 3rd party communication software (I've now tried Teamspeak as well). Also the voice comm is activated in DOTA 2 if I push the key assigned to the 3rd party communication software _despite_ them having different activation keys.
    Also. Please do not post your personal preferences regarding communication software but do only post if you know how to stop DOTA 2 from lowering the microphone level to zero, please stay on topic.
    Last edited by arkhanari; 09-18-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Basic Member
    bump

Basic Member
    Use skype

Quote Originally Posted by arkhanari View Post
    DOTA 2 is impossible to use with Mumble.

If I communicate through Mumble the game somehow transmits in-game as well (despite the applications having different push-to-talk keys or even if I turn off voice comm in the game). If I turn off voice communication in DOTA 2 it gets turned back on as soon as sound is transmitted through Mumble.

It's really strange and I am wondering if there are any solutions to this.
    Doesn't happen for me.
    Only thing that comes to my mind is that you have "stereo mix" defined as default recording device. COuld be something else though.

Quote Originally Posted by HMAN911 View Post
    Use skype
    Skype is awful for gaming. It eats significantly more resources, has terrible and clunky UI, counter-intuitive push-to-talk mechanics and on top of that, it needs to open ports in your router.

Basic Member
    If you have to worry about Skype's resource usage then obviously your computer isn't meant for gaming at all. Inviting 4 people to a call is not difficult, there's no need to even use the clunky UI after that.

While I admit the push to talk is crap, I've never really used it. Seeing as always on mic is just fine, so long as your friends don't have the mic shoved up their nose, or are chewing on cud.

That being said, You need to disable in-game voice if that's part of the problem, simply changing settings in-game is often not enough, you will have to manually edit the config file. Removing both the push to talk key(if you don't, and hit the button, voice is enabled again). And disabling voice chat altogether.

Basic Member
    Do you realize that the resource he is talking about is bandwidth not RAM?

Basic Member
    Yes I do. Statement still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
    If you have to worry about Skype's resource usage then obviously your computer isn't meant for gaming at all. Inviting 4 people to a call is not difficult, there's no need to even use the clunky UI after that.

While I admit the push to talk is crap, I've never really used it. Seeing as always on mic is just fine, so long as your friends don't have the mic shoved up their nose, or are chewing on cud.

That being said, You need to disable in-game voice if that's part of the problem, simply changing settings in-game is often not enough, you will have to manually edit the config file. Removing both the push to talk key(if you don't, and hit the button, voice is enabled again). And disabling voice chat altogether.
    Lol. You realize that your computer has nothing to do with your bandwidth as in, you can have the greatest computer in the world but still have bad bandwidth. Bandwidth is completely independent of your computer and has nothing at all to do with how equipped your computer is to game.

People often have background noises at home if they still live with their family or have a family of their own and it can be loud so push-to-talk is sometimes the preferred route. Please do not assume everyone lives in the same conditions as you.

Unless you have above average bandwidth, Skype is terrible for gaming. With lower, more economic bandwidth plans, it completely eats it all up and leaves you lagging. Skype is not designed for gaming. Telling people to fork over more cash for internet is a dumb argument. Maybe they have different priorities and cannot afford it and it is also not fair to just tell them to leave gaming. I do not get why people do not want to use the built in voice chat, but even if you do not, use something that is designed for gaming like ventrilo or teamspeak, not skype.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Steam Id: KevinCorporation

Interesting discussion, made me think a bit about Skype a little more. I feel like I have a less than average bandwidth, but I don't think I'd be able to convince my friends to use Mumble instead of Skype. I also don't feel like it hinders my gameplay, but still an interesting conversation. I did take that comparison into consideration.

Basic Member
    BUMP!!!!

A solution please?