Thread: Intelligence of allied bots compared to enemy bots

Basic Member

Intelligence of allied bots compared to enemy bots

I've only played on "Easier" and "Easy" difficulties so far but there are some issues with allied bots. The enemy bots become super intelligent after the first tower falls. They never wander around alone & they know how to push, defend and gank as a team. Allied bots just derp around being useless.

- They will push lanes 1v5 and die repeatedly.
    - They don't focus weaker heroes in teamfights but the enemy bots do. They spread out their focus and end up killing nobody.
    - ^^ Zeus bot doesn't use his ult during teamfights, he always saves it for after.
    - They fill up the courier with items because they have 6 items already
    - Allied Vengeful Spirit bot never swaps a lone enemy into its team while enemy VS bots do.
    - Enemy Earthshaker, Tidehunter and Tiny bots will always blink in when they see a good moment to do so, even while defending. Allied bots rarely initiate fights when a friendly tower is being pushed, even if their teammates are nearby. ex. Enemy bots are clumped close together when pushing, Allied Tidehunter won't blink + ult while defending. Enemy bots will blink to initiate.
    - Lina bot will always use her ultimate to kill a target with very low health, even if she or other teammates are at close range and the target has no chance of running away in time.
    - Late game allied Sniper and Juggernaut bots will sit in a lane and farm instead of pushing with their team. Enemy bots always stick with their team and push.
    - Allied bots with stuns or disables don't know how to use them to initiate fights or ganks, while enemy bots know how.
    - Allied Sniper and Tidehunter bots jungle too much mid and late game, instead of pushing or defending they just farm neutrals.
    - Sometimes Windrunner bot attempts to solo roshan and dies.
    - Bots with area effect spells never use them to clear out large creep waves (while defending) they just stand there autoattacking until they die.
    - Zeus bot doesn't need vision to find out that someone has low HP. (ex. toggle armlet off, neutrals)
    - When allied bots decide to push a lane, they won't wait for bot teammates. Enemy bots wait and group up before pushing. ex. one allied bot is at top lane, one is farming neutrals, the rest will push 2v5 and die. Then the other 2 bots will push 2v5 and die as well. Enemy bots don't do this.

- They don't focus weaker heroes in teamfights but the enemy bots do. They spread out their focus and end up killing nobody.
    This is very true, even in UNFAIR settings it happens.

- Allied Vengeful Spirit bot never swaps a lone enemy into its team while enemy VS bots do.
    Now that you mention it, I only realize it now. Allied Vengeful Spirit NEVER ever swaps.

- Enemy Earthshaker, Tidehunter and Tiny bots will always blink in when they see a good moment to do so, even while defending. Allied bots rarely initiate fights when a friendly tower is being pushed, even if their teammates are nearby. ex. Enemy bots are clumped close together when pushing, Allied Tidehunter won't blink + ult while defending. Enemy bots will blink to initiate.
    This is also frustrating, our allied bots just waits there behind the tower. Allied Tidehunter rarely blinks+ult.

- Late game allied Sniper and Juggernaut bots will sit in a lane and farm instead of pushing with their team. Enemy bots always stick with their team and push.
    may I also add that during late game, allied Sniper will not respond to your ping. Ping all you like but he will never respond. He will only respond if your 3rd tower needs defending.

yes I have encounterd many problems with these.

they even just leave a team fight and leave me to die

Quote Originally Posted by durzo.blint View Post
    Now that you mention it, I only realize it now. Allied Vengeful Spirit NEVER ever swaps.
    Actually, I did see her swap once. Of course, the swap was only for about 300 range (not exaggerating), but hey!

Basic Member
    I think this issue occurs because you're a human playing with bots on your team. The bots aren't very good at reacting to your actions because you're not a bot. For example, bots always have good planning and strategies. When they want to go to, say, the secret shop, they go there instantly on a fixed path. But a human might stop a few times in the way there to last hit a few creeps, or place a ward or something. This confuses your ally bots and messes with their programming. Usually this ends up in your bots being very disorganised. Since the enemy team have no humans, their programming works perfectly with each other or something because they can predict each other's movement and behaviour. This is my theory, not sure if it's correct.

Basic Member
    at this point anything is better than reacting to player, because they barely react if at all. Your own should take you as just another bot I think
    There should be a command bar of sorts to initiate their roles and things to do. No player can predict what another player does. We communicate for that reason. Why can't bots?
    Last edited by capteeni; 04-30-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Recountal View Post
    I think this issue occurs because you're a human playing with bots on your team. The bots aren't very good at reacting to your actions because you're not a bot. For example, bots always have good planning and strategies. When they want to go to, say, the secret shop, they go there instantly on a fixed path. But a human might stop a few times in the way there to last hit a few creeps, or place a ward or something. This confuses your ally bots and messes with their programming. Usually this ends up in your bots being very disorganised. Since the enemy team have no humans, their programming works perfectly with each other or something because they can predict each other's movement and behaviour. This is my theory, not sure if it's correct.
    That might be some of it, but it doesn't explain everything. I've seen a bot TP top by itself and then try to lasthit some creeps. The problem is there were four enemy heroes right next to the creeps, and the bot was easily killed. There were no friendly heroes, bot or human, in the same zip code. It just wanted to something by itself, because there were no humans nearby to misinterpret.

Quote Originally Posted by Recountal View Post
    If this is true then the bots need to be autonomous of each other, otherwise it gives an unfair advantage.

Chris has commented on this, and they are looking into it now

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=30423
    D̶̪̏̇͛͂̈̊̏O̬͉̱̭̤̐ͤ͝T̥̼̗̦̯͙ͣ͐ͮͨ͛̐Ä̩̣̖̘̖͍̹͐ͮ̊ͣ̆̎ ̗͖̘̲̝͔̅͐̀̎͗͌̐2̢̔̄ͭ̋͌̾