Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 Memory Leak [Tested]

Basic Member

Dota 2 Memory Leak [Tested]

I recently built a new computer and it functions well in everything else but dota 2 gives me consistent crashes about every 2 minutes in a game, like clockwork. I suspect the issue is that my for-now graphics card is the Intel HD 4000 which is on the new Ivy Bridge CPUs.

It far exceeds Dota 2's requirements and runs it smoothly with nearly everything maxed at 1920x1080, and I have 8 GB of memory with the i5-3570K cpu from Intel. (3.4 base, ivy bridge quad)

I have done several tests both on my own machine alone and with several friends' computers running side-by-side with the windows task manager up above the game. Their dota 2 never exceeds about 750 MB of memory usage, while mine begins climbing as soon as I enter an actual game and never stops climbing. It always crashes just as it's about to hit 1600 MB of memory.

I have tried every suggestion in the crashing thread, I have tried doing a complete uninstall and clean re-install of both my graphics driver and all of my chipset drivers. I have no issues in any other application, or even other source games. I've been playing Portal 2 for extended periods of time lately with no such issues.

Most commonly when the game crashes as it reaches the 1600 MB limit, it allows me to load the game up again very quickly and it just repeats the process. Starts at 750 MB or so, works it's way up until 1600 MB for about 2 minutes after I've re-entered the game, and then crashes.

The only issue I can think of is some strange issue relating to how Dota 2 handles the new Ivy Bridge integrated GPU's, or their drivers. Although it is especially odd that no other source game I've tried so far has given me issues. If you need more information let me know, I can reproduce the crash any time of the day when I have 2 minutes free. The error code Windows reports is usually "AppHangb1"

Quote Originally Posted by Flix View Post
    It far exceeds Dota 2's requirements
    Nope, integrated GPUs aren't supported. I can't say more than this cause I'm ingame.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.ioes View Post
    Nope, integrated GPUs aren't supported.
    This is bullshit.
    Sorry for my bad English.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.ioes View Post
    Nope, integrated GPUs aren't supported. I can't say more than this cause I'm ingame.
    You assume this, and yet Gabe Newell has been quoted “Mainstream gamers are going to have a blast playing titles like our upcoming DOTA 2 on Intel HD Graphics 4000.”

Furthermore, nowhere does it ever state that integrated GPUs aren't supported. Especially with how the new Ivy Bridge GPU's are actually competitive for mainstream gaming.

Official system recommended requirements: * Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with Shader model 3.0. NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better

This card exceeds that by a large margin.

There was a post by I think EricTams that stated exactly that. IIRC.

FWIW, my memory use stays at a constant 1000 MB on an Intel HD Graphics 3000 (i5-2500K) with driver 8.15.10.2653.

Oh, and mr.ioes might be referring to http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...601#post141601, in which Zoid says "We currently do not support Intel Integrated Graphics.". I assume that Zoid is referring to Intel GMA Graphics, not Intel HD Graphics.

Basic Member
    I have the same problem some gameplay cause the memory used increased up to 1,000,000 k and result in game crash and I have to terminate it.

I got <30 fps on Intel HD 4000 at full low graphics but 1080 resolution so yeah...

Basic Member
    I am having this exact same issue, Intel HD 4000, memory appears to be leaking, it goes all the way up to 3.6GB on my system and then tries to page (I prevent dota from doing this) and so it crashes.

While I do have dump files, obviously I can't upload them because they are 4GB.

It also happens if I spectate.
    Last edited by leak; 06-22-2012 at 04:33 AM.