Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 Crashing, doesn't even start

Basic Member

Dota 2 Crashing, doesn't even start

Some weeks ago I've had this problem in which Dota 2 will not start at all, not even entering black fullscreen, it just pops up a crash message with the following:

---------------------------
    Warning!
    Failed to create D3D device! Please see the following for more info.
    http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-...hp?p_faqid=772

Before you tell me to go to that link, this issue has gone through the steam support already, I've gone into that link but did not help at all.

Things i've tried to fix this:

1. Deleting all Dota 2 content from steam, then downloading and installing it again.
    2. Uninstalling Steam (and making a backup of Dota 2) and reinstalling it again.
    3. Uninstalling graphics drivers and reinstalling them back again.
    4. Same as #3 but using Driver Sweeper after uninstall to erase everything about them.

Also i noticed a couple of files inside the Dota 2 folder, debug.txt and dota_crash_20120322203607_1.mdmp

Here i copy what the debug.txt has inside:
    [0415/103738:ERROR:backend_impl.cc(1123)] Critical error found -8
    [0423/013515:ERROR:backend_impl.cc(1123)] Critical error found -8
    [0501/003035:ERRORroxy_resolver_winhttp.cc(97)] WinHttpGetProxyForUrl failed: 12002
    [0501/003035:ERRORroxy_resolver_winhttp.cc(97)] WinHttpGetProxyForUrl failed: 12002
    And, I don't know if this is allowed (please let me know if it is not) but i uploaded the second file (since it is 25mb big) in the following link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?e5e3e5bpkssutcb

I've been dying to play Dota 2 these weeks and i haven't been able to fix this..

PD: Forgot to add, the game used to run perfectly before this.

Basic Member
    Seeing as no one was able to help i got desperate to the point in which i formatted my pc. this solved the issue.

i have the same problem man

Ok if you want to play too much, format your computer and intall only original copys. No Cracked or advanced tools that can crash your registry.

Have fun

Also don't say after the update but try to remember what you install until the dota 2 crash.

Basic Member
    I left this issue unatended because i had solved it by formatting my pc, but the issue started again, and it seems to be because i added some options in properties for the launch options, i did the very same thing last time before i formated.. the launch options were exactly the following:

-command -novid -noforcemaccel -nod3d9ex -high -dxlevel 81 -heapsize 1572864
    Even after removing these launch options the game still persists with the same error, so i tried completely removing the game, deleting all registry entries that had anything to do with dota 2, also cleaning any files related to it as well.. Did not help, now I see there's an update and I'm hoping for it to get fixed with this..

EDIT~
    Nope, the update did not help, still need to fix this issue.. it should've been fixed after removign the launch commands.. this makes no sense.. no sense at all.
    Last edited by Zedlav; 06-04-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Don't use launch options. Now about your problem a good idea is to try to run your game by disabling the following:

Disable Visual Themes
    Disable Desktop Composition
    Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

(make a new shortcut for to change that :-))

Also try another compatibility mode ;-)

Basic Member
    how do i do that? the launch options i had added before were copied from a video when i was looking to increase my overall fps for dota 2, so I don't really know anything about launch or shortcut options..

What would your suggestions be? thanks for your response

Quote Originally Posted by Zedlav View Post
    how do i do that? the launch options i had added before were copied from a video when i was looking to increase my overall fps for dota 2, so I don't really know anything about launch or shortcut options..

What would your suggestions be? thanks for your response
    Go at your dota 2 installation folder and make new shortcut of dota2.exe at your desktop after at the shortcut options (compatibility) set that i write you. Is possible to work :/ if it doesn't then i don't have any idea :-/

With that settings you will disable all windows 7 aero effects when you launch dota 2 and is possible to fix your problem.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clud7 View Post
    Go at your dota 2 installation folder and make new shortcut of dota2.exe at your desktop after at the shortcut options (compatibility) set that i write you. Is possible to work :/ if it doesn't then i don't have any idea :-/

With that settings you will disable all windows 7 aero effects when you launch dota 2 and is possible to fix your problem.
    Just tried that, created the shortcut, copied to desktop, and put all the settings, tried every compatibility mode possible.. The same error pops up except for Windows 95/98 where it says that "SSE and SSE2 are required".. doesn't fix it
    Last edited by Zedlav; 06-06-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Basic Member
    Double post mistake, I'm sorry
    Last edited by Zedlav; 06-06-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Double posted by mistake