Page 3 of 153 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 Lore Megathread

Strangely enough, yes, they are still enabled for Pugna. Ironically, Viper had a total of zero rivalry lines for Pugna, so...

Maybe my memory is just screwing with me.

Eh. Maybe they'll add rivalry lines for older heroes. I didn't even know they were doing that until I saw it on cyborgmatt's blog.

Added a new list - it was only logical that I gather up everything non-english from the heroes' dialogue and sort it out after we got our Ozkavosh dictionary.

I you might give some heroes more credit than they're due.

Bane doesn't necessarily have been able to kill Nyctasha nor ought to have a reason to. Invoker is definitely not to be believed all powerful or the epythome of magic, as he's been purposely made with a God Complex so anything that's big is his ego. Weaver didn't create the fabric of reality, nor the world, which is even later addressed to be the work of the Loom. He was kicked out for attempting to do something similar to just that and probably can't manipulate the weave any further than a small radius around him at this point.

But anyways, what I have to say is... Wow! Overall this is the best compilation of lore there is anywhere.

I really don't know about Weaver and Invoker. In Weaver's lore it is said that "the guardians came, with their scissors, and Weaver's world was pared off, snipped from the cosmic tapestry, which they rewove without him in it". I presume that this would mean that the world where the battle takes place was, in fact, created by Weaver - or at least modified at some point.

What the Invoker is really capable of is anyone's guess. Narcissus' compex or not, but it still is possible that he could have seen the Mad Moon and it is not very likely that there are mages that can compete with him at least in terms of spell quantity - that is, in the current roster of heroes. However, thinking back now, why would he actually want to timetravel all the way back to then? Once again, anyone's guess. Just a less likely one.

I fixed Bane, though.

According to some voice lines of both Ursa and Lone druid, they both know the Enchantress, and seemed to have been on friendly terms with her before.

Ursa: I am sad Enchantress, that this rift has been driven between us.
    Lone Druid: Whatever happened Enchantress, did you forget your true form?

Invoker has been around for pretty much as long as magic itself. I don't find it farfetched to presume that magic was around before the destruction of the Mad Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Invoker's Lore
    In its earliest, and some would say most potent form, magic was primarily the art of memory. [...] But among these early practitioners there was one exception, a genius of vast intellect and prodigious memory who came to be known as the Invoker.
    Weaver, however, is a different story. This world is the old world, which he needs to destroy before he can create a new one. Why else would he be fighting in the war? That is his motivation: to destroy everything in this world so that he can begin anew.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaver's lore
    Free to create for himself, to begin anew. The raw materials he needed to weave a new reality were all around him. All he had to do was tear apart this old world at the seams.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

About weaver, I'll have to concur that he definitely does tamper the tapestry to the point of devising a world completely his, which is completely taken apart. But I find something fishy about the whole thing - Where is he banished to? The closing line of his lore is "All he had to do was tear apart this old world at the seams.". If we consider his world as being the newest creation, then why is "this" world, implied to be the one he's in now, being noted as being "Old"?
    Also, there's the whole problem with his creation being singular: he made a world, not several worlds, so since it was taken away from the cosmic tapestry, shouldn't it now be the only thing in the Universe of it's weird dimension?

As for Invoker, I have no doubt the current mages can't compete with him (alone), but it's still not due to spell quantity. That's the credit he's being given I'm mentioning. One of the very defining concepts about his lore is that he was born in a time when magic worked differently. He was the best magician of his time, when magic depended on conjuring the right words. This magic is defined right off the bat as being THE most powerful form of it, that being the reason why I have no doubts he's still the most powerful of wizards. But in terms of quantity, of magical flexibility, the magical beings of this time can out-par him. Magic now is more washed up, but it's also more reliable. But I digress.

More importantly: On your list of people who witnessed the Mad Moon's fall, I don't find there's time travel required, at al. If you were talking about him witnessing the mad Moon falling, he has all the rights to have witnessed from mere having lived to see it. Why wouldn't he? He's granted immortality to himself, and he definitely counts as "something capable of outliving the impact". Also it's rather logical: Both invoker and Lone druid are the only two living human-likes known to be really, really old, and they both have one thing in common: Pointed ears. Lich is also several millenia old and for some reason he has pointed ears too. But this ears thing is a tangent. The point is, being immortal and born to learn from "the earliest magics" seems reason enough to have him be there.
    Last edited by Dr Quint; 05-19-2012 at 04:03 AM.

In fact, that Invoker part must have really slipped from me. He really could have survived the impact - just like Sylla did.

Looks like I didn't have to change the explanation for the Invoker, in the end. I'm backtracking that part, my fault.

And Weaver's lore actually does raise quite a lot of questions. What I got from it is that Weaver might have potentially created, or at least assisted in creation of this very world. Or not. Or that's an entirely different world. Or he didn't change anything. Or- If only he wasn't a walking hurricane of puns.

I'm currently deciding whether there should be a cathegory for Enchantress, Prophet and Treant or not. The three are featured together on the latest splash art.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincitatus View Post
    According to some voice lines of both Ursa and Lone druid, they both know the Enchantress, and seemed to have been on friendly terms with her before.

Ursa: I am sad Enchantress, that this rift has been driven between us.
    Lone Druid: Whatever happened Enchantress, did you forget your true form?
    The Lone Druid is talking about how Enchantress is basically a mix of an animal and human, as if she was capable of transforming from one form to another and just got confused of which one she was and decided to settle for a mix, so I don't really think Lone Druid had a relationship with Enchantress.

It does seem like Ursa knows Enchantress, so there's that. But to be honest, I think all the heroes are aware of each other on some level. Like Necrolyte and Pudge or Skeleton King and Akasha. Basically, they know each other because of the war or because they're "famous" in some way. Like Enchantress travels the forests while trying to aid the creatures who live there, and that "job" of hers would bring her in close contact with creatures like Ursa. Uh, get what I'm trying to say?
    Last edited by The_Codfish; 05-19-2012 at 05:03 AM.