Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smartcasting, any chance it will be added?

Smartcasting, any chance it will be added?

I know there are some other threads on this, but most are rather old and the only newer one is a guide on how to add it yourself, but it should really be an option from in-game.

First, for those who don't know what it is (since half the debates on the issue arise from people not understanding what it is). Smartcasting is a system in LoL where instead of hitting a targeted ability and then click on where you use it, it instead cast to where your mouse cursor currently is (bypasses the click needed to activate the ability). An example: let's say you're playing windrunner, normally to powershot you need to hit w (by default) and then click where you want to aim, with smartcasting, you would hit w and you would start aiming toward where your cursor was when you hit the button.

Smartcasting does NOT aim for you, prioritize your spells, or any other such nonsense, it merely removes the mouse click when using abilities.

This is a great convienence option, especially for those used to it from LoL. I've seen come talk about how it decreases the skill cap or something, but from LoL experience I can tell you it does the opposite (why that micro second faster makes a difference for some people, I don't know, for some it has the reverse effect). If anything smartcasting allows many people to fight the controls less and their enemies more.

I've had many a friend ask me about smartcasting in LoL as it really is a nice feature that just makes the game flow smoother for some people (plus, if you don't like it, don't use it, if you time your moves right the difference is negligible to non-existent).

For smartcasting options, it would be great to have both a toggle to make all skills smartcast (and possibly items, though that would be best if a seperate option), along with the option to bind them individually by ability (not needed, but is nice for those who like certain skills smartcasted and others not).

Hopefully, it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepyPasta View Post
    Hopefully, it won't.
    Care to elaborate? It's hardly a game changing feature.

Basic Member
    Because smart-casting is already possible and from the size of that thread a lot of people seem to use it, I think it's reasonable to expect that they will add it officially. If they really didn't like it, they would probably have taken steps to stop the scripts that allow it by now.

Basic Member
    theres already a big thread on it that died. saying "i know theres already threads on this" doesnt make it any less pointless to post a new one.

i suggest using the search function before posting, including reading the arguments for and against

If they really didn't like it, they would probably have taken steps to stop the scripts that allow it by now.
    guarantee this is easier said than done. 'if valve really didnt like wall hacking in counter strike, they would probably have taken steps to stop whatever allows it by now'

Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    theres already a big thread on it that died. saying "i know theres already threads on this" doesnt make it any less pointless to post a new one.

i suggest using the search function before posting, including reading the arguments for and against

guarantee this is easier said than done. 'if valve really didnt like wall hacking in counter strike, they would probably have taken steps to stop whatever allows it by now'
    Wall hacking != smart casting
    Smart casting is far from cheating and is just a simple quick way to cast a spell when you are sure of the area it will cast in.

Basic Member
    good thing i stated they were the same thing

oh wait

it's about how ridiculous it is to say 'if valve doesnt like it they would have just prevented the script from being possible!' rather than 'WALLHACKING IS THE EXACT SAME AS SMARTCASTING'

Basic Member
    Likely because there are no scenarios like this in LoL, and this was just 1 hero. You have to remember that pressing 1 button is far faster than pressing a key, in this kind of situations it is 100x more reliable to cast with a click than with a key.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanics View Post
    Likely because there are no scenarios like this in LoL, and this was just 1 hero. You have to remember that pressing 1 button is far faster than pressing a key, in this kind of situations it is 100x more reliable to cast with a click than with a key.
    First, I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to point out with your picture, can you tell what you are refering too? Also, for some people, smartcasting is still preferred, there are both pros and cons for it and it merely comes down to player taste, so why not add it? Example: in LoL there is a hero sort of like pudge who has a grab (though it's much shorter and can only hit enemies), with smartcasting on, you can't check how far your skill will go, and instead have to rely on experience to tell if it can hit or not, some people love this and some hate it. Is it bad to have another option for those that prefer it?

Basic Member
    nope its unfair for guys who never geted used for it. and not a dota thing.