Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian pings in Dota 2 / Imapct on gameplay

Basic Member

Australian pings in Dota 2 / Imapct on gameplay

Hi guys,

As an Australian player, I can't help but feel hard done-by in terms of playing Dota 2. For the majority of Australians, our ping/latency floats between 240-280ms (however since the last PA/Gyro/CK patch I've had a fair few games at 350+ for some reason). For the most part the game feels okay-ish at 250ms however if you want to play at any competitive level the disadvantage is very noticeable.

In addition, as a player who has played a large amount of Heroes of Newerth in the past, it's clear the netcode of Dota2 is actually inefficient in comparison. Almost all Australian friends that play both games really find this noticeable. It's a shame because I've been REALLY preferring Dota 2 over the last 2-3 months of beta. I don't mean to complain/whinge at all, it's just the game has been amazing in every other facet other than this one.

I have two questions:

1) In the future will there be any Australian match-making servers so we can enjoy the game as 90% of the Dota2 playing population do?

2) Is there a plan to address the current situation of '250ms or bust' for the Australian region? (as the SEA region servers deliver us a much worse ping than US West, usually in the 350+ region as well as the majority being non-English speakers).

Edit: Excuse my woeful typo in the title.

Edit #2: The relevant response thread on reddit/r/Dota2

Edit #3: Thank you Valve for listening! x1000000000000. This means so much to the Oceanic community.

Titled: Australia, lets get some servers: http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen..._some_servers/

Cheers.
    Last edited by Cozeh; 12-03-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Basic Member
    +1 for an aussie server!

+1 from me.

• A large % of Australians have issues with the SEA server due to routing issues that ISPs in this country aren't willing to change.
    • Look at Diablo 3, Australians have been left out to dry. Check out the AUS/NZ forums to see how the Aus fanbase is neglected. ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/4804371/) Here is a chance for VALVe to once again shine and show everyone why they're the best in the business.
    • Many of the VALVe devs are from Australia!! i'm sure growing up you guys can remember just how rough we usually get it. Be a mate and help us out?

Edit #1
    • Some Australians can't play with their friends due to the ISP they have a contract with.
      Friend A has Optus or a reseller and gets 400 PING on SEA servers (200 on USWEST which we are forced to play on) due to routing via America.
      Friend B has Telstra or a reseller and gets 400 PING to USWEST (110-200 on SEA) due to routing.

This is upsetting and really hurts the competitive scene in Australia.

Edit #2
    Last edited by SubNoize; 08-31-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Basic Member
    ^hahahah legend.
    +++1. Completely Agree.
    I range from anything at 180ms but recently (PA patch) like you stated as high as 400ms. even with cable connection through Optus . There is also the somewhat avoidable language issue being in SEA but always filter that.
    Would love to see some user numbers for players in AUS & NZ and see if we really do have a chance of getting a dedicated server.
    Great thread.

Basic Member
    Yep... It sucks it really does. Valve show us some love, its really bad getting 200-300 ping... It gives us a severe disadvantage in any game I play. Not fun.

So +1

Basic Member
    with US west servers down, was forced to play on SEA with optus - 440ping!

Couldn't hit a single stun with Lion.

+1 for aus servers.

Basic Member
    Lol yehh im with you solar lol.. SEA servers are just not good for OPTUS users... as the ISP connects directly to the USA. US east gets 400 ping aswell.

Basic Member
    just quickly guys do u all use USWest, cos i'm optus and just SEA thinking that was it, in addition having to deal with language barrier, man epic facepalm*.....USWest all the way????

Basic Member
    Yes I use US West only... Especially if your optus (which I am).. Optus connects from AUS TO US then TO SEA which is a bit retarted but yes thats why SEA servers are terrible. But even if your not optus, SEA still gives you 200-300 ping regardless. If your optus expect 400-500..

This is why we need straight AUS servers, were a VERY isolated country. Valve need to check their geography Australia is a continent and you dont have servers here? I just want a confirmation from valve if there is going to be future servers here or not.. Because it does suck really bad.

Basic Member
    Yeah basically the large majority of us are on USW due to the ping being MUCH better than on SEA and of course everybody speaks English.

I recognise your name vaguley Subnoize, you're a CS:Ser right ? I'm a hardened 1.6 veteran. Damn I'm cool....

Any feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated, we usually don't ever get a rationale at all from any company!