Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously why are people playing DotA so angry?!?!

Basic Member

Seriously why are people playing DotA so angry?!?!

I just don't get it. Why are people playing DotA always so aggresive? The moment you do anything wrong you are instantly a noob/tard/whatever.

Do people actually think that flaming "bad" players helps the game? I really really don't get it.. If you think about it just for one moment. Is a teammate who constantly gets demoralized better than a teammate who is told he did something wrong but not called a retard?!...

I play a lot of games where I single queue and actually a lot of them are fine. But then there are the games once in a while where you just get flamed to oblivion for something you did. I admit I don't always play well. I sometimes play really really bad. But that does not make me a noob! - I started DotA like.. more than 5 years ago and I have probably played 1k+ games. A noob is in my opinion short for newbie. Wich I am definitely not even though I may have a bad day. I am not a retard either - a retard is a person with a mental illness.

Most days I am able to just ignore the flame but sometimes you just have a bad day and the flaming gets to you. These are the times where I really feel like uninstalling DotA again and never playing it.. Maybe I'm just being too sensitive idk....

Side question: When should you report for flaming? A single "noob" from a teammate once is hardly enough to warrant a penalty so I wouldn't report that. But where is the line? What if a player keeps calling you a noob once in a while but doesn't really flame anything else?

edit: sry about my ranting I just got really angry about a particular game.. I still think it is a valid and actually an interesting question why people are so aggresive in DotA?
    Last edited by DHP; 06-22-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Maybe because very small mistake can turn the game around? or maybe because they expect that their team should've similar skill as them and shouldn't do certain mistakes?

Players who care more about winning and lossing than about having fun will often get upset faster when their teammates do something which may reduce their chance to win.

Anyway, if they are only flaming that's small problem, because you can easily counter it by ignoring them (you wont see what they type or mute for their voice). Players who play bad on purpose are much harder to counter as you can't simply ignore nor mute their impact on the game.

I understand your problem completely-as every1 at this forum- cause we all have bad days.Unfortunately those pro flamers usually arent at forums to tell us why they flame.I rly need to know why they do it.
    Often i am asked:"What does a hero truly need??"...
    Much depends upon the hero...

Would you be SWIFT??? Then for you I have speed BEYOND MEASURE!!!

Would you be STRONG??? Then I can grant you the might to OVERPOWER ANY FOE!!!

Would you be WISE??? Then come closer and I will unlock your INNER CUNNING!!!

WHAT DOES A HERO TRULY NEED???

.........That is for you to decide...........

Basic Member
    the problem is, that if you compete in dota at your best ability, you usually give all you have got, which makes you very prone to aggression in case of error. that doesnt necessary have anything to say anything about the kind of character you are, it's just a natural behaviour under stress. the stress also doesnt help judging some situations correctly, so some accusations might be simply false.

the line, i draw is when things swap over to your real-life. as soon as somebody calls me "retard" or says some things about my mother, i consider to report him for flaming. unless the person was very deconstructive prior to that curse, i usually give a warning shot ("stop your flame please or i will have to report you") as a last chance of deescalation.

i usually try to identify my own mistakes myself and write stuff such as "sry, my bad" after them to premtive flaming on part of my allies.

i find "blaming" perfectly alright in dota as long as it is constructive. if somebody simply calls me "noob", i will try to ignore it to a certain point at which i will give a warning shot.
    if somebody simply has a different view of things, i try to understand him, but i dont necessarily have to adapt it.
    if somebody is actually able to keep up a constructive discussion about how to play a certain phase of the game, i even consider him for a commendation.

feel free to draw your own lines, but i find mine pretty justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammett_4 View Post
    I understand your problem completely-as every1 at this forum- cause we all have bad days.Unfortunately those pro flamers usually arent at forums to tell us why they flame.I rly need to know why they do it.
    i usually try to let my allies know, what i expect of them in my games. it is important to me and i think i have a good call about, what i can expect on my skill level and what is to be considered a "big play".
    chaining 2 stuns is simple, i expect that.
    positioning yourself, so that you dont overextend and still have the ability to strike, is also doable.

those are the things, i start to tell my allies. i am doing this for the current game, because it is still going on, but i am also trying to improve their sensitivity for their future games. i might encounter them again. and even if i dont, they and their teammates/opponents will still benefit from it.
    as long as i keep those criticism constructive, it is fully justified to the point, where someone tells me in a mannered way, that he simply has a different idea about the situation.
    sometimes i continue nevertheless, because i am a stubborn fool, but that is a personal flaw of mine.
    Last edited by blash365; 06-22-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Because in a game with 5 players, one person can lose an entire match.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskub View Post
    Because in a game with 5 players, one person can lose an entire match.
    And sometimes I am that person who loses the game. It happens. I have off days sometimes (not very often imo but it happens. I guess we all have offdays?). I also have good days some times.
    Does that mean it is okay to call me a retard/noob or whatever you could come up with?

I don't have any problem with people pointing out that you do something wrong. It's the pointless "Invoker is a noob" in all chat - that doesn't help a thing - that annoys me. It is okay if people point out that I played bad. I can take that. But that is not what people do. They call you a noob, a retard, "omg wex invoker", etc. etc. - Most games I just ignore it and it's np. I just don't get why that amount of aggression is required over a computer game..

Some people just have different ways of expressing their anger and/or frustration.

Even if I am frustrated at another player, I know that I can make the same mistake and that yelling at them/making fun of them won't change absolutely nothing so I just don't/Or try to help them.

Even in DOTA people should go by the simple phrase: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Basic Member
    Mostly because I always pick the hero my team needs, so I expect them to do their part. I can adapt to pretty much any situation, and I can see stuff a few steps ahead. So I hate it when my a teammate ruins an important teamfight by simpily walking into 5 enemies after I told him no to go there.

And they dont do it just once, they repeat the mistakes over and over and over. For example, I was with omniknight who only used heal on himself, and even that very rarely. In fact, rubick used his heal about 3x more often (15x vs 40x during the whole game). So, i keep saying to him "plz use heal more often" a few times, then "IDIOT HEAL YOUR CARRY" etc. Basically, I'm an intellectual, and I improve when I see a mistake or somebody else points it out. Most dota players do nothing to prevent the mistake from repeating.

At one point, we were about to win. Omni had most mana, heal and ult ready. We all died without him casting a spell, while I was yelling USE ANY SPELL in voice.

How many times have I said buy invis wards early game to counter brood. And only 10% people actually do listen. So after the idiots ignored my advice to a) buy wards b) stay near their tower fed brood so much, I was pissed. Im even nice to explain that giving 1k gold to brood and losing 1k gold themsleves is a lot worse then "wasting" 200 gold on "stupid" wards. No use.

And I just love how all idiots who never listen say "STFU you not pro" and whatever crap they managed to say. Clearly, they do not understand I dont have to be pro to be better then them.

Some people can't seem to grasp that yelling at people makes them more likely to put you on ignore, which can leave the person doing the yelling screaming impotently into their mic or furiously typing out an angry rant while not realizing that their intended target won't even see or hear their frustration.

Ignore functions are great like that. The only way to get Steam to tell you you're blocked is to attempt to PM the player directly.

Basic Member
    well my options are
    a) do nothing -> teammate does not see his mistakes and never learns
    b) explain it multiple times -> teammates either swears at you or learns something

I choose b)