Thread: Dota 2 connection and game issues

Basic Member

Dota 2 connection and game issues

Hey guys,

For the past month or so i've had a problem connecting to games. I can connect to the dota 2 network just fine, and see profiles and player progress etc. But My game does not recieve any news content and i cant access the dota store or workshop(that entire panel does not work)

But worst of all I cant connect to game, my own or just as a spectator.
    It simply times out every time saying: Connection to the server exceeded the number of retries.
    Opening console shows that it fails to connect repeatedly and never gets anything through.

After doing alot of looking around I found people with similar but not exactly the same problem as me, save for this post:

http://www.playdota.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1014245

================================================== ================
    The issues I'm about to explain started with the August 2nd update for Dota 2 (see here). Before that update, everything worked the way it should (aside from one small network-related issue that had to do with my software firewall).

Issue #1: "Connection to the server exceeded the number of retries."
    I had this issue once before but I easily fixed it by adding "dota.exe" as an exception to my software firewall (part of the ESET Smart Security 5 suite). This allowed me to connect to and spectate games without receiving the aforementioned error. Unfortunately, it no longer works and the only solution is to completely disable my firewall.

I would like to keep my firewall enabled while playing Dota 2. Also, I would like to know why my initial fix no longer works. I believe Valve has done something to render my fix useless because I haven't changed any settings up until now.

http://imgf.tw/466452153.png

Issue #2: "Unable to Terminate Process" [dota.exe *32]
    The second issue I'm experiencing has baffled me. For some reason, I can't end the "dota.exe" process. Normally, the process would end on its own upon exiting Dota 2. However, that doesn't happen and it started happening once I downloaded the August 2nd update.

Again, I haven't changed any settings before the August 2nd update. I always run Steam in administrator mode and up until now, no other game has given me this error. Oddly enough, it only happens with Dota 2. I've tested other Source engine games like Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, and Half-Life 2.

Any help in fixing the two issues would be greatly appreciated.
    ================================================== ================

This is exactly my problem, including being unable to terminate the process.

I've tried reinstalling dota 2 multiple times, and steam itself. I've added dota and steam to my firewall exceptions.
    Also I dont have a router, but a internet dongle that connects my PC to the internet, as there was no problem using this connection before, I can not think that its blocking the Packets.

If someone has a way of fixing this, Please let me know. I need my dota

Basic Member
    +1 to that. it starts out about a month ago. And that process cannot be terminaded is pretty annoying

Basic Member
    bump...

Basic Member
    not playing dota makes me a sad panda

Basic Member
    No answers from Valve ? No idea to solve this problem ? I NEED TO PLAY !

I had a similar problem today.I was playing with a friend and we were talking via steam chat. But then i was disconnected for no reason. While i was disconnected my connection to the chat was still intact and i could talk with my friend all the time. When i clicked to reconnect button , after the loading scren the game said "Connection to the server exceeded the number of retries." and said the reason might be a crashd server which is not. I tried to reconnect for like 3 or 4 times but I couldn't. Then I pulled the plug of my modem and closed dota 2 then opened the modem and dota 2 and COULDN'T RECONNECT AGAIN -.- After 5 minutes limit was over and i ''abandoned'' the match I somehow reconnected to match and finished and even my team won the match O_O . I have 1 abandon point right now and my internet connection is good. I don't know why i couldn't reconnected easily and in time :_( . It will a bit out of the topic but i have 2 questions: How many points are required to be droped to low priority player list? And if I will be droped to that list is there a way out to erase the abandon point? I'm really angry for this injust point right now

Basic Member
    I still have the problem, and i'm still looking for a solution, can't play at all...

Basic Member
    I have found the cause of my problem.

It doesnt seem to be the game files nor the Netowrk/internet, but a problem on my PC.

It seems the ESET AV that was installed with my drivers, which i promply uninstalled managed to reinstall its own firewall(without any UI) and then started to run buy itself, this caused it to block the packets set by dota, as well as those from my avast update tool, once i uninstalled it again and deleted all remaining files, it stoped it's shit, and let me play again!

Hope you guys can fix your PC's too.

Time to dota!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FusionHS View Post
    It doesnt seem to be the game files nor the Netowrk/internet, but a problem on my PC.
    As with 95% of "problems" mentioned in this section really :P