Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Abaddon's "Frostmourne" -> MOTA (Mark of the Abyss)

Lightbulb Abaddon's "Frostmourne" -> MOTA (Mark of the Abyss)

Hi.

As you all may see, Abaddon has not been mentioned yet, not even on any strings inside the beta client or any textures, even less a name for his abilities/skills. You may recall his 3rd passive skill "Frostmourne" based on the WC3 Lore (y'know Arthas' badass longsword), but due copyrights its highly probably that this name will be changed..

So.. Instead of changing it for another random sword name, why not revert it back to it's original name? "Mark of the Abyss" (or MOTA for short), it could fit nicely with his lore (since he's the almighty "Lord of Avernus"). It could be a nice homage for the old days too!

I tried to find any other section to post this suggestion but i think this could be a good place to do so since it's related to Abaddon's lore.. well somehow I think. Apologies if it doesn't belong here.

NOTE: back then, in past DoTA versions (5.X I think), it used to be an active skill and it had that awesome name on it!

Banned
    Valve have their own ideas on lore, look and names, in my opinion.
    Mark of the Abyss? It sounds cool, but in WC3 the character reffered to his sword a lot, so will D2's Abaddon, i think(or hope). My point here is that it should be something short like . . . like . . . like: Benmorer.I'm really bad at creativity, but i think you got my point here.

Quote Originally Posted by OhDatsApplesMate View Post
    Valve have their own ideas on lore, look and names, in my opinion.
    True, but that's why a Lore feedback exists, so we can give our own suggestions too! .

Yeah they could name it, chillcry, frostbane, or whatever cool name you can think.. but that wasn't the point of this suggestion, even though they could do that, If they are making why not make some homage to the old days of dota? and which better way than using a name that could easily fit in the lore of the Lord of Avernus himself? Of course Valve/Dota devs. had their own ideas but at the same time, that doesn't say that we can suggest our own.

Just look at so many threads made in the forum itself. If we were restricted to just listen and accept Valve's own ideas, then, no change would have been made to Visage's interface or Lanaya's refraction shield. Just pointing out one of many many cases out there. Sure, those are game mechanics, but it falls too in this category because of the feedback the community gives around the ideas they implement in the game. Just like we used to do when DoTA was merely a wc3map

Basic Member
    Excellent suggestion, especially as there's nothing about the skill that directly notes it as being specific to that sword, aside from the actual name "Frostmourne"

Basic Member
    "Mark of the Abyss" still exists in WC3 DotA. It's the name of the buff applied to the target when stricken by Frostmourne (a little tribute by IceFrog, perhaps ?). And I agree with OP's suggestion, I don't want a random name like Iceshard or Frosthilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-President View Post
    "Mark of the Abyss" still exists in WC3 DotA. It's the name of the buff applied to the target when stricken by Frostmourne (a little tribute by IceFrog, perhaps ?). And I agree with OP's suggestion, I don't want a random name like Iceshard or Frosthilt.
    Abyssmark <- There you go the name of the sword.

Basic Member
    call the sword "Icefrog" and make the hilt a blue frog.

jk, I know that doesn't really fit abbadon's theme.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBeoulve View Post
    Abyssmark <- There you go the name of the sword.
    A Bismarck has too much of a nazi ring to it.

Because Bismarck was clearly a Nazi...
    Doesn't even sound alike, tbh. Abyssmark sounds fine to me.
    Last edited by thyL; 08-09-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-President View Post
    A Bismarck has too much of a nazi ring to it.
    And Otto von Bismarck.