View Poll Results: Console commands,scripts and macros.. Is this cheating ?

Voters
936. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - valve needs to address these things.

596 63.68%
  • No - (for whatever reason)

340 36.32%
Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: IMHO, this is cheating and needs to be addressed..... What do you think ???

Question IMHO, this is cheating and needs to be addressed..... What do you think ???

I am talking about the things done with the console commands and macros/scripts.

Every time I read Dota reddit it is littered with this crap.

- Showing blink dagger range.

- 1 button macros for invoker.

- Showing Shadow Fiends shadow razes as circles all the time.

- Straight line and range of Pudges hook.

and many others.

To me this is blatant cheating.

I understand that some of this is console commands, it doesn't mean it should be used during a matchmaking game.

Do you think Valve should crack down on this stuff ?

Is there a way to detect the macros and or scripts used outside the console ?

Basic Member
    You can see the range on Pudge's hook if you hover over the icon, unless you mean one that's always showing. Seems kind of gray-area to me, although it's an advantage you're making it harder to become more skilled at the game due to your over-reliance on it.

Basic Member
    Cheating gives an unfair advantage to one player over another. Since those are, as you say, console commands, you can implement them too. Id think of them as options in the menu. If you are too lazy/ dont care to implement them, its ur own choice, but the fact that others do doesnt make it cheating to me. Also, think about the educational factor here - some players may turn these features on so that they can learn the game in practice matches and then forget to turn them off.

I think Albain is right!

There should be a standart config to prevent those possibilites.
    playing dota since 2005!

I'm fairly neutral. But in my own opinion these commands should only be enabled in a practice/bots match (For people to master the size of the AOE's or the range of a certain item/spell) and disabled in matchmaking.
    Last edited by Mcccelvs; 08-09-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdstick View Post
    You can see the range on Pudge's hook if you hover over the icon, unless you mean one that's always showing. Seems kind of gray-area to me, although it's an advantage you're making it harder to become more skilled at the game due to your over-reliance on it.
    I don't use anything like this. Yes it makes the range fo his hook stay on at all times.

No, I don't agree with your argument at all. When in a matchmaking game with someone using said advantages it affect everyone in the game.

And you made my point because yes the player skill is not where it should be so he uses these cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcccelvs View Post
    I'm fairly neutral. But in my own opinion these commands should only be enabled in a practice/bots match and disabled in matchmaking.
    YES, smart man I agree with you here. It still lets noobs learn the game.

Should be allowed in Matchmaking and disallowed in Team Matchmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    Should be allowed in Matchmaking and disallowed in Team Matchmaking.
    That is interesting, matchmaking is matchmaking to me, can you explain why there is a difference for you ?

Matchmaking is the attempt to match people as equally and FAIRLY as possible.

Basic Member
    I think we should have the ability to turn this stuff on/off in options. WHY is it not in there? I'd love to be able to tell these things but I dont want using console commands