Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Make Your Own Announcer

Valve Developer

HOWTO: Make Your Own Announcer

Would you like to make your own Community Workshop Announcer, become the toast of the community and the envy of your friends? With the attached guide and spreadsheet, you can learn how!

The basic idea is that you record several lines for each event that the announcer comments upon, such as "top tower under attack" and "roshan has fallen to the dire." You'll store these lines as a directory of .WAV files. Using the provided spreadsheet as a template, you indicate which .WAVs correspond to which events. Package and submit the spreadsheet to us as a workshop item through the game client. If your directory of .WAVs is too big to fit into the upload quota, you can upload them to a file-hosting service such as Dropbox and provide us with a link inside the submission.

You should record your sound as 16-bit PCM .WAVs for maximum quality, but it's okay to compress them to .MP3 for the initial submission to conserve file size. If your submission is accepted, we'll contact you for the original .WAVs.

The system is fairly flexible, so it's possible to record lines for your custom announcer that are more specific than the ones in our default announcer. For example, your announcer can have different "your tower has fallen" lines depending on which rank tower fell, or how many seconds of the game have elapsed, or whether it is daytime or not. The guide has details.

You can make a mega-kill announcer separately from a main announcer, or vice versa.

Last edited by Crash; 08-09-2012 at 06:26 PM.

wow really nice .

Great! Thank you very much for helping us in making cool stuff!

Is there any limit on the number of potential responses for a specific event? For example, could we have say, 30 variations of annoucer_victory, or is there a limit at something like 2 or 5?

Valve Developer
    No limit. (Until we start getting announcers too big to download, at which time we'll know what the limits should be!)

Remember you can also use the followup mechanism to cheaply create variety by mixing and matching lines. To continue the Renaissance Faire announcer example, you could record five lines, two base lines:
    "Thy top tower is under attack!"; "Thy top tower is beseiged!"
    and three followup lines:
    "Forsooth!" "Gadzooks!" "Those poxy villains!"

To get six permutations, like "Thy top tower is under attack! Gadzooks!", "Thy top tower is under attack! Those poxy villains!", "Thy top tower is under attack! Forsooth!" etc.

The followup lines can be shared across many different base lines, so the same followups that appear for the top tower will also be used for bottom, mid, rax, etc. That lets you create a huge number of possible combinations at runtime, without having to go hoarse recording every one of them.

Is the list of response rule criteria listed in the word document a complete list of everything that can be used, or are there more commands? Is there anyway to make use of some of the rules used by heroes, like lines for a specific hero being dying, or say a comment for an event like Skeleton King dying with his ult up, but lacking mana?

Basic Member
    the only thing i miss about HoN is the John St. John announcer pack. I really hope you guys can get that announcer pack in the game somehow.

Basic Member
    Any tips on what kind of recording software/hardware to use? This sounds pretty interesting, but what's the limit of quality for it to be accepted before enhancements? I noticed that the pirate announcer, while creative and with great dialogue was medium in execution until edited with the echo etc. when it became very impressive.

This sound fairly intriguing, but I'm not sure if I have the equipment to produce something of the requisite quality.
    Hello, I'm Fydorian! I have Trouble getting even one cs per minute, so I help find bugs instead!
    To make things easier on everyone, if reporting a bug on the Gameplay Bugs forum, please read these stickies:
    Bug posting guidelines. READ THIS FIRST!
    Common Bugs List
    Intended Fix List
    This has been a PSA by yours truely, Fydorian.

Quote Originally Posted by ONEHP View Post
    the only thing i miss about HoN is the John St. John announcer pack. I really hope you guys can get that announcer pack in the game somehow.
    Since Josh St. John voices Enigma, along with a few other characters, I am sure Valve can make it work if enough fans request it.

I really want to see that Baston Announcer happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Drkirby View Post
    Since Josh St. John voices Enigma, along with a few other characters, I am sure Valve can make it work if enough fans request it.

I really want to see that Baston Announcer happen.
    Axe was voiced by him as well. And there was an Axe announcer pack coming.