Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you get into the "high" skill bracket?

Banned
    from my experience u need around 60+% winratio in last 20/30 games to get into higher bracket also if you play hard support/carry most of the time switch to heroes that can be super aggressive early game and go gank a lot or consider playing pub stomp hero like ursa
    Last edited by PuppetPeople; 08-17-2012 at 03:32 AM.

We don't actually know anything for sure because Valve hasn't disclosed how the ratings work, but it's probably (at least in this early stage) just like the vast majority of team-based games with individual ratings: Your own personal rating is based on the rating difference of both teams when you win/lose. Losing to lower rated teams loses you more rating and gains them more rating, winning against higher rated teams gives you more rating and loses them more. Vice-versa when you lose/win against better/worse opponents. I believe when you search a game, though, it just shows the skill bracket of that particular game, which means the average rating of the players in it, so you could be within the "normal" bracket and get bumped up due to law of averages into "high" games and vice-versa. When I play alone I'm usually in "high", when I play with certain friends I drag them into "high" while other friends drag me into "normal" and sometimes it just goes either way. And of course sometimes it just seems completely random, like when I queue with 2 of my friends who normally get high level games as well and we end up in normal (and no, not because our other two teammates were first time players and the system was trying to screw us - that's definitely a myth).

If you just want some advice though, the idea that you can just play Ursa or Lycan for a handful of games and pubstomp your way into high skill is silly. Eventually you'll be so out of your depth you'll go on a losing streak and be thrust back down. Just stick to heroes you know and actually try to play the game and improve. Also, not being a dick and being communicative and helpful to your team is the #1 strategy for success (most people who pick Ursa or Lycan don't seem to realize that).

Basic Member
    It's also based on your actual skill-level, the easiest way to advance into higher rankings is to simply carry yourself. From what i observe currently,

Normal Skill Bracket - Meta oriented around Semi-turtle teams, pick a heavy ganker,rape their lanes, rinse and repeat to victory. (I used a Q/W invoker here)

High Skill Bracket - Meta heavily on very early ganks and immediately pushing thereafter. Pick a solid ganker that can be effective around level 6 with pushing capabilities, top picks here include Prophet/Rhasta/Leshrac and the likes.

Very High Skill Bracket - No idea yet xD

Played DotA 2 for a little while, got into high skill bracket with only 12 wins, albeit with only 3 losses. Check my profile if you want, ign's Iridescent.
    It's all about adapting your gameplay and countering the pubbies, punish them for their mistakes and assess the situation, never ever decide on a solid build and act upon it only.
    K/D/A and Winrate definitely plays a part, i believe with K/D/A, it's more about the total takedowns (Kills + Assist), rather than the kill ratio, so dont bother if your half-retarded public team gets the kill. Just remember to push after a gank to secure a gold advantage and carry on to win the game. A well played Invoker rapes the Normal Skill bracket so bad, being an old player helps too

Basic Member
    It also depends on the amount of players available to play. For example, when I search in the morning (Central Europe Time), less players are active (e.g. 40k instead of 70k+) and it tends to take longer to search and eventually end up in grabbing players from other brackets. In peak hours, you tend to go downwards (going into normal). Lately, I've been climbing a little up (going from -4 to +15) steadily, but very slowly. It took me about 3 months to get where I am now. And I somehow now sway between normal and high. Last 2 days were all "high" games, it tends to match me with those now, instead of "normal". So i guess I climbed a little, just a little though really close between the two types.

It does not always make sense. Some games which I find really hard, are "normal". And some games "high" seem less skilled. It may be easier to win those because I suppose my team also gets stronger (and more matching to myself).
    I think it is doing a great job, though not flawless (a small % do not make sense, though most games do even out).

I also think that 3 brackets is not nearly enough "brackets". Don't focus too much on the "normal"/"high"/"very high". You might be climbing up and getting better without seeing it. Because it might take you ages to get into a higher bracket, based on the fact in which percentile you are at this point. The best you can do is have fun, learn from mistakes, try to communicate with your team and don't get too upset. It takes time, MUCH time to get better and eventually "climb up".
    I am guessing that Normal will be a very broad spectrum, very large playerbase. Ranging from newbie to average players. Which could explain some anomalies. It's not always normal game 1, normal game 2. There are likely to be hundreds of "sub brackets" (Valve calls them percentiles). Very high will be really small (assuming 3% or less). High will be 20-30%.
    Last edited by tau; 08-17-2012 at 04:21 AM.

Basic Member
    What do you mean by the "-4 to +15" part? You mean there's a stat to show your current elo? I sure would like to check on mine if there was.

Basic Member
    I meant -4 w/l (meaning I have e.g. 100 wins, and 104 losses) going to +15 (15 more wins, being now at 52,5% w/l) on 300 games.

Basic Member
    When I solo queue I usually end up in high or very high and tbh I don't really see any difference.

When I queue with friends I sometimes get normal, it doesn't seem to be much worse also, just slightly.

So... I don't think people should worry about the brackets...

Quick Edit: I don't think it's a K/D/A thing, you can get to high / very high playing hard support...
    Last edited by TheAnml; 08-17-2012 at 04:31 AM.

Basic Member
    Oh so that's what you meant xD
    I'm quite a competitive person hence the preference for using counters to the meta instead of having fun, but since winning is my idea of fun :> lolz.
    Overall i believe winrate accounts for a factor but K/D/A is definitely included as well.

Basic Member
    already discussed in this thread.

use the search function please.

closed.
    Last edited by blash365; 08-17-2012 at 04:46 AM.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage