Thread: Dota 2 GPM Calculation

Basic Member

Dota 2 GPM Calculation

So I come from HoN and I've been wondering for a while now why the GPM values in Dota2 tend to be higher, even though the timings I get my items at remain the same. A friend explicated this is because Dota 2's gpm doesn't consider gold lost by deaths, ie. its "pre-death" gpm. I find this a little strange, as it benefits different heroes to different degrees ie heroes that die more get more of an advantage in the GPM calculation. I'm of the opinion the GPM calculation should include gold lost by dying.

Anyway, is there an easy way to calculate or find out overall GPM that is inclusive of gold lost by deaths?

Basic Member
    as with every statistic it can only tell you as much as you know to read out of it.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Yes I agree with that, obviously, but its hard to get an idea of any players real GPM when gold lost on death isnt a static value. It's not a big deal I guess, but I'm curious why Valve decided to go with this calculation.

Basic Member
    it is supposed to show his potential of buying items, i guess.
    if you have 900 gpm but no items, you most likely did something wrong.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

GPM is Gold per minute earned.

What you want to know is shown as net worth.

Basic Member
    Yes I'm aware of that, but I'd wish they'd add that to the game scorecard then. It would be too cumbersome to watch replays just to look at that value :S.

I also don't get why a GPM that excludes death is necessary to estimate the potential of purchasing items. How about a GPM that is inclusive of gold lost to deaths, and then just looking at a players number of deaths will give us an estimate of lost purchasing potential?

Or, maybe, they could include both values? How about a GPM excluding deaths, but with gold/GPM lost to death shown in parentheses? Would this be too hard to code?

As it stands the GPM value shown is largely meaningless to me.
    Last edited by JeanLuc; 09-01-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Basic Member
    feel free to contribute:
    [Suggestion] New Graphs

Basic Member
    Alright, thanks!