Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [FIX] Massive Intermittent Lag Spikes

Basic Member

Smile [FIX] Massive Intermittent Lag Spikes

UPDATE
    After the recent patch this only works off peak server hours, during peak hours you still get spiked, less then without the commands but still unenjoyable.
    Put these commands into your launch options, just copy and paste it:
    +net_maxroutable 500 +net_maxfragments 500 +net_queued_packet_thread 0 +net_Graph 1 +rate 200000 +cl_cmdrate 30 +cl_updaterate 30 +cl_interp 0.15 +net_maxcleartime 0

Also, turn off your network network quality In Dota settings.

You can use the steps below to clean install your Dota if you like. I have been playing a few games and so far it seems good, will update once i play a few more and will try to optimize settings to improve it if possible.

Hello,

First time posting here. I read all the threads with people having Insane amounts of lag spikes for the past few months, which is insane how the Dev's haven't even provided answers or help to anyone having these issues. My problems started after the most recent patch. Non stop insane lag every 5-30sec.

Here are the Steps to get it to work again.

1. Uninstall Dota 2 through Steam, by right clicking on dota and clicking remove local content.
    2. Go to your Steam folder, then go to /steamapps/common/ in there you will find dota 2 beta folder, DELETE IT, as this gets left behind.

Optional Step

I am not sure if this is needed, since I did this before I reinstalled the game. If you want try just the first 2 steps and see if it works.

3. Go to your start menu, in the search box type regedit and press enter. This will bring up your registry.

Click File->Export and save a copy of the registry incase you mess anything up

Then, Make sure on the left hand panel you have computer selected, so it can search your whole registry.
    On the top menu, click edit->find and type dota
    then click find next
    This will find the first folder or key with dota in it, delete it.
    Then click F3 to find the next value and delete
    Repeat this process until in can't find anymore values for Dota.

Go through it slowly and make sure the folder or strings correspond to dota.

4. Empty your trash bin
    5. Restart Computer
    6. Download Dota Again
    7. Verify Game Cache
    8. Go to Dota settings, click Game Tab, then Network and turn off network quality.

This solved my problems and I hope it will help others. Let me know if the registry steps are needed or not and I will update the post.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Gselsidi; 10-02-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gselsidi View Post
    Hello,

First time posting here. I read all the threads with people having Insane amounts of lag spikes for the past few months, which is insane how the Dev's haven't even provided answers or help to anyone having these issues. My problems started after the most recent patch. Non stop insane lag every 5-30sec.

Here are the Steps to get it to work again.

1. Uninstall Dota 2 through Steam, by right clicking on dota and clicking remove local content.
    2. Go to your Steam folder, then go to /steamapps/common/ in there you will find dota 2 beta folder, DELETE IT, as this gets left behind.

Optional Step

I am not sure if this is needed, since I did this before I reinstalled the game. If you want try just the first 2 steps and see if it works.

3. Go to your start menu, in the search box type regedit and press enter. This will bring up your registry.

Click File->Export and save a copy of the registry incase you mess anything up

Then, Make sure on the left hand panel you have computer selected, so it can search your whole registry.
    On the top menu, click edit->find and type dota
    then click find next
    This will find the first folder or key with dota in it, delete it.
    Then click F3 to find the next value and delete
    Repeat this process until in can't find anymore values for Dota.

Go through it slowly and make sure the folder or strings correspond to dota.

4. Restart Computer
    5. Download Dota Again

This solved my problems and I hope it will help others. Let me know if the registry steps are needed or not and I will the post.

Good Luck
    Im waiting for the others who did this if this would work.
    Anyway what kind of spike/lag are you experiencing?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambi.430 View Post
    Im waiting for the others who did this if this would work.
    Anyway what kind of spike/lag are you experiencing?
    Try it with the first 2 steps and see if it works. I would lag very bad every 5-30sec shoot up to 1000+ ping. My character would stop moving, and the game was generally unresponsive he would auto attack because my command wouldn't go through. Mini map would disappear, creeps would turn into friendly units and I couldn't attack them. Sometimes they would just disappear heroes would disappear too. It was just brutal and completely unplayable.

I can't imagine people who are still dealing with this problem from months ago!

Basic Member
    updated info

Me too have this problem.. The dota 2 is unplayable here.

Basic Member
    please dont post it as a FIX if you are not even sure of what the problem is and how what you did went on fixing it

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1337crazer View Post
    please dont post it as a FIX if you are not even sure of what the problem is and how what you did went on fixing it
    Don't need to know what the problem is to fix something. Secondly, I clearly know what I did to fix it since all the steps are listed.

Basic Member
    Well any feedback. Did anyone else have this fix it?

I went through all the steps.
    First game was fine.
    Second game was not fine.

My lags occassionally comes and when it's here it will lagg every 30 sec for 5 seconds. My ping is normal.
    and pinging constantly www.google.de shows that I always have around 40 ms (NO TIMEOUT!).

But while playing dota I have 40 ms for 30 sec then 800 ms for 5 sec. (not every game but many games.)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanViet View Post
    I went through all the steps.
    First game was fine.
    Second game was not fine.

My lags occassionally comes and when it's here it will lagg every 30 sec for 5 seconds. My ping is normal.
    and pinging constantly www.google.de shows that I always have around 40 ms (NO TIMEOUT!).

But while playing dota I have 40 ms for 30 sec then 800 ms for 5 sec. (not every game but many games.)
    Did you also turn off network quality? Also, mine shows lag also ping at like 800 sometimes but I don't actually lag. There are some games where I do lag but only a few times throughout the whole game, which I accept as normal since even when everything worked before you lagged on some servers.