Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Display skill range radius

Basic Member

[Suggestion] Display skill range radius

in corresponding thread created by myself on http://www.playdota.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1131854 at playdota forum

Does there any setting to enable this on Dota 2? Not when I move my mouse over the spell but display it when I press Q/W/E/R then there is a circle appear around me, like using AM i press W i will know how far i can blink over. It is useless to hover over my mouse to check the cast range, i want to check the actual cast range when there is right to use my skill at right time

here i post some hon pictures about it and i need it the function

TOWER RANGE CIRCLE

QOP LVL 1 BLINK RANGE CIRCLE

QOP POISON DAGGER RANGE CIRCLE

Basic Member
    They answered your question on playdota. This isn't a social board. Search for your answer don't ask easy to find questions...

The short answer is that the developers think this shouldn't be in the game. Unluckily. It's an important feature, in my opinion. Concealing this from players is just unnecessary obfuscation.

In my opinion it is very necessary to force the player to think at least a minimal amount. To check how far a hero can cast a spell and memorizing that is an elementary part which shouldn't be simplified just for the sake of making everything nobraineasy for everyone.

Hoping valve takes this crap out of the game soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibubu View Post
    Sure, it looks a bit silly, but this helmet makes more sense than ~50% of Furions cosmetics that are already in the game. And its not like he's wielding a wooden penis (one can easily make a penis shaped staff out of wooden branch and there are no arguments why it could not be done). The Acorn helmet is actually VERY fitting since it's natural shape is used. Also it is used for it's quality to withstand blows.
    Wow, amazing insight.

If Valve ever decide to create a newcomer bracket with limited amount of heroes - then the circle can be on there. Once you are out of this bracket - you don't need it. In other sports like football or basketball you don't have a circle to indicate how far you can throw the ball and if you had - it would be lame. It's just like that in Dota - it'll be lame.

Banned
    Understanding what range means has always been a key component of dota. How big is the visual difference between 300 and 350 range? It's always funny to see an antimage blink into trees accidentally because he doesn't know his own cast range.

At the risk of being called elitist, making the game easier doesn't equal making the game more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Deku_Nutt View Post
    Understanding what range means has always been a key component of dota. How big is the visual difference between 300 and 350 range? It's always funny to see an antimage blink into trees accidentally because he doesn't know his own cast range.

At the risk of being called elitist, making the game easier doesn't equal making the game more fun.
    I could not agree more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibubu View Post
    Sure, it looks a bit silly, but this helmet makes more sense than ~50% of Furions cosmetics that are already in the game. And its not like he's wielding a wooden penis (one can easily make a penis shaped staff out of wooden branch and there are no arguments why it could not be done). The Acorn helmet is actually VERY fitting since it's natural shape is used. Also it is used for it's quality to withstand blows.
    Wow, amazing insight.

Basic Member
    I think the guys from valve carefully analyzed similar suggestions and will eventually implement them all in a -em mode
    Last edited by dresmasher; 10-14-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Basic Member
    It would be nice to be able to see tower range after hovering/clicking for a bit, just to check. I personally still don't know how far most towers hit from because I haven't been able to check, I've just continually been an inch too close.